Author Topic: VGConnect August 2013: Psychonauts  (Read 2389 times)

jobocan

Re: VGConnect August 2013: Psychonauts
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 11:55:36 am »
I played it a bit. I wasn't really feeling it.

I like the basic gameplay, and the actual levels are nice, but I got kind of annoyed at the open-world place between the levels, and found the pacing to be a bit slow. I played through a couple levels, but kinda got bored with it. It's fun, but I'm not getting into it. I believe that if I had played it around release I'd like it a lot more.

desocietas

Re: VGConnect August 2013: Psychonauts
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 02:01:06 pm »
I played it a bit. I wasn't really feeling it.

I like the basic gameplay, and the actual levels are nice, but I got kind of annoyed at the open-world place between the levels, and found the pacing to be a bit slow. I played through a couple levels, but kinda got bored with it. It's fun, but I'm not getting into it. I believe that if I had played it around release I'd like it a lot more.

I can totally see that.  I felt that way when I picked it up again a few months ago on Steam.  I'd originally played it closer to release, and it was just so pretty and full of interesting dialogue and jokes that the exploration at the beginning was a lot of fun.  The initial sandbox feel was still new and intriguing back then.

Once you start doing levels, you really start to appreciate the design and quirkiness of the game.  All the levels are so different but so fun and creative.

I still want to go back and play it but I don't think I'll be able to play much of anything for the next month or two (August was super busy as well for me).

In related Psychonauts news, Double Fine announced Psychonauts figurines for sale at PAX.  Definitely gonna check it out when I'm there.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas