Author Topic: Search feature sucks  (Read 904 times)

Search feature sucks
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:53:09 pm »
I have to complain, the search of vgcollect sucks. Like I tried to search batman: arkham asylum, I have to type in precisely "Batman: arkham asylum", not "Batman Arkham", "Batman Arkham Asylum" even worse! And if you search simply "Batman", you are screwed, thousands of ancient games pop up to hunt you, you will never find your game in the first half list.

Please, use a decent search engine, not just simply student string match. And, a filter based on platform will solve a lot of problem too.

foxhack

Re: Search feature sucks
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:06:05 pm »
You can also search for two or three word phrases. For example, Arkham Asylum will bring up anything with that in the title.

I agree that the search needs work. The old site had an auto-filling system but that's currently turned off due to the site revamp and matt not being around to fix everything.

soera

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:08:57 pm »
I would love more options for the search engine too. Im looking for RPG's on PS3 and I cant seem to find a way to narrow the 43 pages of games to just search for the ones I want.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 03:22:26 pm »
I've complained about the search engine as well, and told to use google with the site dork instead. It works OK that way but I also know how much work is involved in writing a search engine for a site. So its fine for now.

tpugmire

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:02:07 pm »
A search engine overhaul is coming. Be patient, use the browse feature instead. It's a little more work, but way more accurate.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 10:15:13 pm »
While we're on the subject, it would fantastic if we could narrow down our search by console and/or region.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:23:16 am »
A search engine overhaul is coming. Be patient, use the browse feature instead. It's a little more work, but way more accurate.

Yep.

This is what I've been doing.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 08:15:55 pm »
While we're on the subject, it would fantastic if we could narrow down our search by console and/or region.
^^this^^

soera

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 10:37:45 pm »
You can do it by console and region under http://vgcollect.com/browse ... I like it but I want to limit my search even more with genre search.