Author Topic: If you see me get any tears in my eyes as a guy i do apologize and here's why  (Read 2197 times)

haloofthesun

You guys say "nowadays". Graphics ALWAYS were a big deal in gaming.

Even way back in the 2nd generation, Intellivision was already using graphics as their selling point. The NES sold millions based on the fact that it's graphics blew the hell out of the 2nd generation consoles. The 16-bit wars was all about graphics (blast processing, Mode 7, FX chip, etc.). Sony tried to make game publishers make ONLY 3D games for a while on the PS1.

And more importantly, the majority of gamers bought into it all. It's not a new issue, it's an always has been around issue.

This. 20 years ago it was blast processing. Today it's 1080p and 60fps. While there isn't really such a thing as "blast processing", it's still the same basic argument.

turf

PRO Supporter

Even way back in the 2nd generation, Intellivision was already using graphics as their selling point. The NES sold millions based on the fact that it's graphics blew the hell out of the 2nd generation consoles. The 16-bit wars was all about graphics (blast processing, Mode 7, FX chip, etc.). Sony tried to make game publishers make ONLY 3D games for a while on the PS1.

And more importantly, the majority of gamers bought into it all. It's not a new issue, it's an always has been around issue.

Yeah, it was about graphics then just like it is now.  A pretty game with awesome gameplay is still awesome.  I'm not all "8-bit or nothing". I like fun games from any generation.  I'm just saying Super Mario World is a 1000x better game than the latest Call of Duty.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Yeah, it was about graphics then just like it is now.  A pretty game with awesome gameplay is still awesome.  I'm not all "8-bit or nothing". I like fun games from any generation.  I'm just saying Super Mario World is a 1000x better game than the latest Call of Duty.

For sure.

However I think I'm having just as much fun with Bionic Commando on Xbox 360, right now, as I did with Super Mario World.