Author Topic: Which 5th Generation Console Had The Best Racers?  (Read 911 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Which 5th Generation Console Had The Best Racers?
« on: November 24, 2013, 05:14:40 pm »
The 5th Generation really gave us some fantastic racers, on all 3 major consoles. Which console do you think gave us the best library of racers?

Saturn:
-Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition
-Hang-On GP
-Nascar '98
-Need For Speed
-Road Rash
-Sega Ages: Outrun
-Sega Rally Championship
-Sonic R
-Virtua Racing
-WipeOut

PS1:
-Crash Team Racing
-Gran Turismo 1 & 2
-Jet Moto 1-3
-Need For Speed 1-3
-Ridge Racer
-R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
-Road Rash
-Road Rash 3-D
-Road Rash: Jailbreak
-San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing
-Test Drive 4-6
-WipeOut 1-3

N64:
-F-Zero X
-Diddy Kong Racing
-Mario Kart 64
-Mickey's Speedway USA
-Road Rash 64
-Ridge Racer 64
-San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing 1 & 2
-San Francisco Rush 2049
-Star Wars: Episode I Racer
-Top Gear: Overdrive
-Top Gear: Rally 1 & 2
-Wave Race 64
-WipeOut 64

sin2beta

Re: Which 5th Generation Console Had The Best Racers?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:08:43 pm »
I'm going to have to say N64. Wave Race 64... come on... one of the best racing games ever. Mario Kart, F-Zero, Beetle Adventure Racing. It did lack some of the more serious racing games. Maybe it's due to size constraints of cartridges.

The Playstation would be the choice for simulation fans. Gran Turismo has the ability to trump them all. But aside from that, I don't think it had much going for it. Ridge Racer seems to be the claim to fame. But I've never been a fan. I prefer simulation style racing games, but not from that era. The system was just too weak.

Sega Saturn has them beat on arcade racers. Outrun, Daytona USA, Hang on...

Interestingly enough, each system had it's own flavor of racer. Nintendo specialized in fun Kart style racers, Sony with simulation, and Sega for arcade. It depends on what style you like most. I seem to have more fun with Nintendo racers though. Plus 20% of the library seems to be racers. So, there are bound to be some good ones.  :P
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

soera

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 06:26:27 pm »
Nintendo specialized in fun Kart style racers. Plus 20% of the library seems to be racers.

I think Mario Kart is the only game even worth mentioning on the N64. It was leaps and bounds better than the SNES version.

And its funny you mention the percentage. I did a check of racing games and sports games on the 64. It was over 40% of the entire library.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 07:37:14 pm »
You forgot the Crusin' games. I actually enjoyed those. And Mario Kart 64 is one of the best games ever.

Nintendo 64

sin2beta

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 07:39:37 pm »
Nintendo specialized in fun Kart style racers. Plus 20% of the library seems to be racers.
And its funny you mention the percentage. I did a check of racing games and sports games on the 64. It was over 40% of the entire library.

Oh, I was serious about the 20%. It is somewhere around there for racing games. I forget exactly how much though.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

soera

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 11:05:46 am »
Yeah, the percentages of sports and racing games on the N64 is absurd. Almost half the library.