Author Topic: Old 70's console issues.  (Read 1664 times)

theflea

Old 70's console issues.
« on: March 06, 2013, 06:52:49 am »
I just bought a Coleco Telstar Arcade, it was in its box in really good shape. It was only missing the original AC Adapter (but an old atari 2600 one seems to work) I hooked it up to several televisions of all kinds. (even an old B&W) and all I get is an black static screen.

It does react when i switch it on, but no game on screen. I'm wondering if the atari adapter is the problem? or maybe the game cart is not reading. (I did clean all the pins) I bought a 2nd cart off ebay and if it's the cart I should work with a different cart. (I hope) Or maybe its something inside.
If anyone has any ideas what it could be, please let me know. thanks.

Here's the system if you don't know what it is.
http://vgcollect.com/item/40082
"Happy game hunting!!!"

ffxik

Re: Old 70's console issues.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 07:32:50 am »
Both the Coleco Telstar and Atari 2600 use 9v DC adapters.  So that shouldn't be a problem.  I hate to sound generic here but check your contacts.  They may need a cleaning.  If it isn't that then it's definitely an internal problem.  Could be bad capacitors or the like.

I just thought of something.  I am not familiar with that system.  Is the RF cable attached to the system or is it replaceable.  I was thinking the cable may be broken or just shot.  Try it with a different cable.  Then again if it has a switch box that may be bad too.  Those thin wires that attach those to the TV can break.  On the other hand if it's mounted to the system you may have to open the console either way it looks like.   
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:43:03 am by ffxik »

theflea

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:58:58 am »
Found a Video on you tube that showed me how to fix it. I tried it and bingo. It works great now.
just needed an adjustment on the RF box inside the console.

If anyone buys this and has issues here's the video to fix it. He says it can work on other classic Pong consoles too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjdqFZjyhwE
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:01:35 am by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

ffxik

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 02:09:29 am »
I was on the right track I guess.   :D

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 02:46:10 am »
Thank you so much for posting this.

I had actually given up on my coleco vision when I stumbled onto this thread.

I had rebuilt the power supply (12volt output was shot), cleaned the board, switch, etc.

Still did not work.

But I hadn't seen the potentiometer in the rf box! Your post of that video saved my console!