Author Topic: Cleaning Cart Games  (Read 2937 times)

Cleaning Cart Games
« on: January 14, 2014, 04:20:08 pm »
Did a quick search and didn't see a topic on this, but what do you guys do to clean connectors and the actual carts themselves?

I've done some searches and it seems everyone has a different way of doing it and advises against something else. Just curious what you guys do.

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Cleaning Cart Games
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 04:30:44 pm »
Q-tips and 91% alcohol for the pins.  Windex for the outside.  Goo Gone for really stuborn gunk on the cart.  That same 91% alcohol for  marker on carts.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 05:46:28 pm »
I use a cleaning kit (by performance, is the company name) that I bought from a pawnshop for only $5 xD. This cleaning kits has been sold at gamestop back in the day and for me is the best way to clean it, not only the cartridge but also the game console. Remove corrosion pretty well and dust/dirt. In general I use this plus alcohol. But like turf said, you can also use qtips to clean it.

sin2beta

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 07:28:45 pm »
Mainly Q-Tips and alcohol. When you first get a game, you may have to use windex. However, I rarely do. I do try to keep the qtips and alcohol next to my consoles. I do this because I try to clean a game before I put it in the system every time. Now this doesn't really happen everytime. My most used games, I know are really clean. But continually cleaning the games will essentially act as a system connector cleaner. Cleaning pin connectors is REALLY tough. It's best to slowly do this by always cleaning your games.

I also have gamebits for a screw driver. So, I tend to open and clean the board for most games I buy. 
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 08:12:51 pm »
Q-tips and 91% alcohol for the pins.  Windex for the outside.  Goo Gone for really stuborn gunk on the cart.  That same 91% alcohol for  marker on carts.
pretty much this

bobster

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:16 am »
I've heard of goo gone a lot when cleaning labels, but never used it myself. I just did a quick amazon search and realized there's a bunch of different formulas. Would you mind pointing me in the direction of the goo gone you use?
Currently Playing: The Witcher

htimreimer

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 09:50:42 am »
I've heard of goo gone a lot when cleaning labels, but never used it myself. I just did a quick amazon search and realized there's a bunch of different formulas. Would you mind pointing me in the direction of the goo gone you use?
this is the one you want but you can get it at any hardware store and for cheaper
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:06:23 am by htimreimer »

bobster

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 10:13:43 am »
Thanks! I'll have to keep an eye out for it. It's not too pricey on Amazon (since I have prime).

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 12:04:14 pm »

Be careful using it on labels.  It will discolor a lable if you let it get under an edge.  This stuff is basiclly lighter fluid.  And DO NOT use it on N64 labels.  If you find something to clean those up without ruining them, let me know.

bobster

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 12:55:19 pm »

Be careful using it on labels.  It will discolor a lable if you let it get under an edge.  This stuff is basiclly lighter fluid.  And DO NOT use it on N64 labels.  If you find something to clean those up without ruining them, let me know.
I will. I'm going to test it out on a really crappy SNES game I have (scooby doo). I don't care at all about it, but I want to see how it works. I usually just leave labels alone other than peeling off stickers very carefully.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 01:23:09 pm »
I had a Panic Restaraunt on time that had marker on the label. 91% alcohol and it was good as new. I was nervous as all shit about working on that. I tested  about 5 different boogered up labels before taking the alcohol to that one.  The back label didn't work out to well though.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 08:51:49 pm »

this but i take the carts to pieces first

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 09:24:50 am »

Armor-all and a soft cloth for labels.  Spray the cloth a few times then buff it in gently.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 07:00:53 pm »
Thanks for all the info!

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 10:55:33 am »
Mr. Clean magic erasers work well to get permanent marker off, just don't use it on labels, it's basically very fine sandpaper and will ruin the label