Author Topic: New Retro Systems Any Good?  (Read 1914 times)

New Retro Systems Any Good?
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:21:56 pm »
I saw at Books A  Million they had some of the new retro console stuff, like the portable SNES, a new version of the SNES controller without the Nintendo branding and a 3 in 1 console that plays Genesis, NES, and SNES, for like 50 bucks.  I need a NES because mine is broke, I don't have a Genesis, and having all three in one thing would be handy, but is it any good? It's the Retron 3 and while I will get the original consoles eventually, for now for convenience and space sake, I feel like it would be good if these things are quality.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: New Retro Systems Any Good?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:38:17 pm »
Every single one I've played have sound issues. And the cheaper ones have weird glitches or some games won't work.

It's always better to go with the original systems if you're striving for the closest real experience. More compatibility, perfect sound, and the actual controllers and accessories are usable (this last one is true for some of the higher-end new retro consoles, too, though.)

The downside being that it costs more to collect each individual system, of course, and the old systems need an old-box (CRT) T.V. to look right for most of them.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:41:54 pm »
Retron's not that bad. I love how they take the original controllers. If you can wait a bit longer Hyperkin is going to releasing the Retron 5 this month. They've slated it to be 100 dollars and will support NES/FC, SNES/SFC, Genesis/Mega Drive (Master System via Power Base), GB, GBC, GBA all with HDMI output and save states.

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 01:43:46 pm »
Retron's not that bad. I love how they take the original controllers. If you can wait a bit longer Hyperkin is going to releasing the Retron 5 this month. They've slated it to be 100 dollars and will support NES/FC, SNES/SFC, Genesis/Mega Drive (Master System via Power Base), GB, GBC, GBA all with HDMI output and save states.

Oh dang, yeah, I'll wait for that LOL

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 01:57:12 pm »
I'd be surprised if you're actually able to use a Power Base Converter on a Retron 5. They're very specifically shaped to fit over a Model 1 Genesis only. I mistakenly bought one, because the Wikipedia entry says that it's compatible with the Model 2 Genesis. Technically the technology is, but the back lip of it goes over the power port of the Model 2, so you can't really play it if there's no power. I ended up buying a Model 1 Genesis just to use it.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 03:26:45 pm »
I'd be surprised if you're actually able to use a Power Base Converter on a Retron 5. They're very specifically shaped to fit over a Model 1 Genesis only. I mistakenly bought one, because the Wikipedia entry says that it's compatible with the Model 2 Genesis. Technically the technology is, but the back lip of it goes over the power port of the Model 2, so you can't really play it if there's no power. I ended up buying a Model 1 Genesis just to use it.
You should be able to use this. http://www.stoneagegamer.com/powerbase-mini.html It even says it will work in a Retron 5.

pacpix

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 03:58:58 pm »
If the Retron 5 reviews are good I am going to pick it up.  I have most of the original consoles, but having them all in one system will save a lot of space.  I hope that eventually they make a "Retro" Retron that has some of the early systems on it like Intellivision, Colecovision, 5200, etc.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 05:42:55 pm »
I'd be surprised if you're actually able to use a Power Base Converter on a Retron 5. They're very specifically shaped to fit over a Model 1 Genesis only

ta-duh...!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 05:48:12 pm »
I'd be surprised if you're actually able to use a Power Base Converter on a Retron 5. They're very specifically shaped to fit over a Model 1 Genesis only

ta-duh...!

Nice!

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 05:59:25 pm »
Then you add a 32X and slap it on top of a Sega CD and put in all 6 controller and then hook it up with both HDMI and AV hookups, and start attaching Gameboy games, twice, as you can maybe fit in a Super Gameboy up front with a game and you've created a technological monstrosity lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 12:46:17 am »
If a Power Base Converter works, then a 32X probably does, too. But a Sega CD wouldn't, it connects through another port.

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 01:41:00 am »
If a Power Base Converter works, then a 32X probably does, too. But a Sega CD wouldn't, it connects through another port.

We'll make it fit, we have the technology!

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 12:01:06 pm »
Sadly from what I understand the 32X doesn't work. The system loads the entire game into memory and then emulates it. It's not able to read the game carts through the 32X.