Author Topic: Who Pays Full Market Value For Games?  (Read 3620 times)

90snostalga

Re: Who Pays Full Market Value For Games?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 04:45:39 pm »

*Disclaimer: I didn't buy Earthbound, but I have a suspision that it was bought at full price by my wife.

Turf, if she bought Earthbound full price, it's all good.  There is nothing wrong with that.   That's one reason I enjoy your youtube videos because they seem very real.  I can tell you don't lie about how you get your stuff. It's more enjoyable in my personal opinion because of that.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 04:46:27 pm »
I think the question I have always pondered is why people are scared to admit it. When I watch a Youtube video of some one showing off their collection, I know very well they did not find the top 5 rarest games for the NES thrift shopping for 2 bucks even tho they claim so.

Where's bikingjahuty? That guy is the KING of having patience and waiting it out for a killer deal on good games. He's a better, and more patient collector than I. I could see him doing something like that, no problem.

Especially since there are still mom-n-pop thrift shops out there that really don't have a clue when it comes to video games (although they're getting rarer everyday).

I did recently buy Mega Man Legends 2. But I paid about $30 less than most disc-only copies. I bought a scratched-up one, and just got it resurfaced for $3.

Where did you get it resurfaced?  I have a Persona 1 disk that my wife had - she doesn't even know where it came from.  :P  Anyway, it's scratched up & "skips" in the intro movie so I thought I'd try getting it resurfaced - either it will fix it or destroy it.  It's no good to me as-is regardless. 

At a local used movie/video game shop here called Video Exchange. Generally follows eBay prices, so I don't go in too often anymore.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 04:51:15 pm »
I think the question I have always pondered is why people are scared to admit it. When I watch a Youtube video of some one showing off their collection, I know very well they did not find the top 5 rarest games for the NES thrift shopping for 2 bucks even tho they claim so.

I certainly agree with this.  Is there really an issue with admitting it? You simply can't find certain games unless your ridiculously lucky, so you sorta have to, it's why there are retro game stores out there and vendors on Ebay, because they found the things others haven't.  I don't think being a collector means having to spend 10 years looking for a quality inbox Earthbound for 5 bucks at some random garage sale lol

I bought at least a dozen games at the retro store I've been frequenting where I got my Zelda stuff and bought some other games there for whatever they are probably worth because I was looking for those specifically.  Whatever I find at other places outside of stores is just what I get lucky to find, hopefully real cheap especially for common games to fill out my shelf and if I happen to find something I already bought, I can trade it in at the retro game store and get proper money for it towards something else I really want...Like those boxed Rare Nintendo 64 games I want at the store...man I want them bad lol

Bwigdahl

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 05:27:33 pm »
Personally, I don't need to feel I got the greatest deal ever when buying an older game, if I can get a deal or a steal that's awesome, but if it's something I want and I have the money for it I'll get it. Now generally I try to keep my older gen games under the 20 dollar line but I've broken that on more than a few occasions (Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, FF III among others). Also where I live there aren't a lot of flea markets/swap meets etc, so it's not really worth the extra time or gas money for me to go out hunting like that. I have a local store that I frequent that is fairly reasonable on prices and will negotiate (especially with regular customers) and ebay that are my 2 main sources of my games. Have I over-payed for some games? probably, but who really cares in the end?

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 06:51:35 pm »
I will Buy games at "full Market" if I think the game is worth it. that being said the most for a used game I've payed I believe was for Conker's Bad Fur day and that was $45

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 07:12:56 pm »
I realized I told a bit of a story. I did pay full retail for Chip 'n Dale 2. It was the reward for Save Your Change Folks 1. I paid a little over $100 for it. I don't remember the exact amount.

sin2beta

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 07:38:18 pm »
I buy games at retail value all the time. Granted, I collect Sega. So, retail value is not that high for most things. But I tend to pay what I consider "good deals". It's just a tad below the average or has a great deal on shipping.

You can deal hunt and pay well below market value depending on where you are at in your collection. For instance I have around 120 genesis games. If I went for a complete set in a hurry, I could get the next 100-200 games dirt cheap. But then ebay kind of becomes a necessity.

If I'm going for a complete original XBox collection, I could probably complete it all for pretty cheap right now (minus a few games).

Honestly, my collection is almost too far along and too specialized to find too many deals at flea markets and such. But flea market deals is what the XBox collection is for.  ;D
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 07:38:58 pm »
I realized I told a bit of a story. I did pay full retail for Chip 'n Dale 2. It was the reward for Save Your Change Folks 1. I paid a little over $100 for it. I don't remember the exact amount.

I can't wait to get that game!   :)  Did you get cart only or boxed?

90snostalga

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 07:44:13 pm »

Where's bikingjahuty? That guy is the KING of having patience and waiting it out for a killer deal on good games. He's a better, and more patient collector than I. I could see him doing something like that, no problem.

Especially since there are still mom-n-pop thrift shops out there that really don't have a clue when it comes to video games (although they're getting rarer everyday).

That's because bikingjahuty is one of the rare freaks of nature lol.  There is a limited amount of humans who are extremely lucky that they find something Ebay valuable for very cheap everytime they go thrifting .    Other than my 5 dollar Virtual Boy CIB back in December, I haven't been too lucky.

sin2beta

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 07:46:24 pm »
My trick on ebay is to always look at new releases buy it nows. This is how I got Alex Kidd in Shinobi World cheap. I'd have to look at my ebay history but I think it was between 10-15.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

hexen

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 08:13:06 pm »
Yeah. I do all the time, really...

What I still want is VERY unlikely to be found in the wild having been going out every week for 6 or so years. Honestly, anyone who says otherwise when it comes to collecting targeted rare things is a liar. It doesn't even bother me now. A lesson I've had to learn by repeatedly being dumb about it is that today's market value is gonna be laughably cheap compared to the market value 6 months from now with almost no exception.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 09:03:48 pm »

If I'm going for a complete original XBox collection, I could probably complete it all for pretty cheap right now (minus a few games).

Very true.

I finished my entire XBOX collection in a little over a year, and didn't spend more than $5 on any title. That includes some of the more expensive ones like JP Operation Genesis and Digimon Rumble Arena 2. Definitely the time to collect for the XBOX if you have any intention to do it ever.

soera

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 09:24:40 pm »
I have moments where I get lucky on finds but for the most part, I have to pay normal market value for something. My area of the world is over saturated with collectors and the finds are just really not there anymore. Plus Im at the point in my collection where there really isnt that much left I want or need. And my patience level for almost anything is pretty low when it comes to gaming.

haloofthesun

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 10:08:56 pm »
I do a lot, although there are a few things to clarify here:

If I'm going to pay so-called "ebay prices" as people tend to call it (really just the average the game is selling for at the time) then I will look around to see if I can find it cheaper elsewhere first. I'll check online websites and local places before doing so.

If I'm paying this price then it's because I actually want the game and to play it. It's not often that I'll just pick it up when it costs more than what it's worth if I'm not sure I'll even like it.

If I'm paying this price for a "rare" game then it's because I'm just not going to find it at a decent price. I'm sorry, but it simply just isn't easy to go and find a CIB Albert Odyssey for Saturn under $80. In fact at this point, $80 would almost be considered a deal. It happens, yes. It isn't as common as some people make it out to be though.

I really don't see what the big deal about this is, honestly. Most used games stores and places like that, at least around here anyway, have nothing more than sports games and a few dozen copies of really common games like Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt and F-Zero. It's difficult, for me at least, to find the good stuff just out in the wild. It's gotten to the point - I think for game collectors in general now - that even going to garage sales is pretty competitive because there are so many resellers now just everywhere. Yes, I agree that, for example, $20 for a loose cart of Castlevania III costs too much. Yes, I agree that resellers are screwing collectors over. But I'm not going to sit around and wait for months in the hopes that I can find it for $5 or less. I'm going to buy it if I want it. And I'm okay with that. There are a lot more people that do that than will admit, for some reason. I'm pretty sure it's the same as people who were shown in a study to own a Mac but were afraid to openly admit that they had computer issues with it because "Macs aren't supposed to have computer issues" and because they paid so much more for it than they would a PC. For some reason, people think that paying more for something than someone else may have paid for it is somehow embarrassing. Yeah, I'd love to go out and pick up Earthbound for $10 like I know some people have (or at least claimed to). That sort of thing just doesn't happen that often and it doesn't happen to everyone.

I'm not accusing any of you of lying about how much you've paid for anything, by the way. I know a lot of collectors do, but unless I knew for sure I would never explicitly accuse anyone of that. Because why lie about it? It's silly.

In my sig below you'll see I bought Mario Party recently. I paid $30 for it. That's way more than what it should actually be sold for, but after searching for a month, that was the best price I could find. I'm not ashamed of it because I'll play it with my friends and have a good time. The game is not less fun just because I didn't find it at Goodwill for $1.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:12:01 pm by haloofthesun »

90snostalga

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 11:03:02 pm »
I do a lot, although there are a few things to clarify here:

If I'm going to pay so-called "ebay prices" as people tend to call it (really just the average the game is selling for at the time) then I will look around to see if I can find it cheaper elsewhere first. I'll check online websites and local places before doing so.

If I'm paying this price then it's because I actually want the game and to play it. It's not often that I'll just pick it up when it costs more than what it's worth if I'm not sure I'll even like it.

If I'm paying this price for a "rare" game then it's because I'm just not going to find it at a decent price. I'm sorry, but it simply just isn't easy to go and find a CIB Albert Odyssey for Saturn under $80. In fact at this point, $80 would almost be considered a deal. It happens, yes. It isn't as common as some people make it out to be though.

I really don't see what the big deal about this is, honestly. Most used games stores and places like that, at least around here anyway, have nothing more than sports games and a few dozen copies of really common games like Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt and F-Zero. It's difficult, for me at least, to find the good stuff just out in the wild. It's gotten to the point - I think for game collectors in general now - that even going to garage sales is pretty competitive because there are so many resellers now just everywhere. Yes, I agree that, for example, $20 for a loose cart of Castlevania III costs too much. Yes, I agree that resellers are screwing collectors over. But I'm not going to sit around and wait for months in the hopes that I can find it for $5 or less. I'm going to buy it if I want it. And I'm okay with that. There are a lot more people that do that than will admit, for some reason. I'm pretty sure it's the same as people who were shown in a study to own a Mac but were afraid to openly admit that they had computer issues with it because "Macs aren't supposed to have computer issues" and because they paid so much more for it than they would a PC. For some reason, people think that paying more for something than someone else may have paid for it is somehow embarrassing. Yeah, I'd love to go out and pick up Earthbound for $10 like I know some people have (or at least claimed to). That sort of thing just doesn't happen that often and it doesn't happen to everyone.

I'm not accusing any of you of lying about how much you've paid for anything, by the way. I know a lot of collectors do, but unless I knew for sure I would never explicitly accuse anyone of that. Because why lie about it? It's silly.

In my sig below you'll see I bought Mario Party recently. I paid $30 for it. That's way more than what it should actually be sold for, but after searching for a month, that was the best price I could find. I'm not ashamed of it because I'll play it with my friends and have a good time. The game is not less fun just because I didn't find it at Goodwill for $1.

Well said.   You hit the nail on the head.  Out of 6 plus years of game hunting, the only "rare expensive" item I have found is my virtual boy cib.  It is so awesome finding video games in the wild for cheap; however, I'm with Soera.  I dont have the patience to wait 10 plus years to find the Flintstones for the Nintendo or Earthbound or whatever is rare. 

*For the record, I personally believe the Game Chasers video where they found the flintstones was orchestrated to increase viewers.  Just my opinion.*