Author Topic: Metroid Trilogy Non-Collectors Edition  (Read 1447 times)

Metroid Trilogy Non-Collectors Edition
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:35:41 pm »
What I understand there was only one official release of Metroid Prime Trilogy which was the "Collector's Edition." It original came in a metal case and other fancy things. The UPC was 045496901677.

I was reading how a retailers like GameSpot apparently got a hold of a large amount of "used" copies of the game and then produced a new case for it and started placing it on their shelves. I just pickup up a copy with one of these "repo" cases and the UPC for it was 045496903237. That UPC seems to check out as a Nintendo code. A lot of there products are around 045496xxxxxx.

I've never seen the original release complete in box but and I was wondering if there was possibly two separate UPCs for the outer metal case and the inner plastic case. If someone with an original copy could confirm this for me that would be great. Otherwise I might go ahead and create a new entry for the reproduction case version if it in fact has a totally different UPC.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:04:48 am by badATchaos »

Re: Metroid Trilogy Non-Collectors Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 08:50:41 pm »
I wish I could tell you, but to my understanding the one you have pictured is the second printing that Gamestop received, and released as used only once the price of Metroid Prime Trilogy had become inflated enough (think it was worth around $120 at the time). Gamestop loves doing this on sought after games in order to get around that pesky MSRP BS. But yeah, it is an offical re-release of the game as far I know. The metal case one is the original print run copy.

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 08:55:29 pm »
http://www.mobygames.com/game/wii/metroid-prime-trilogy/cover-art/gameCoverId,165912/

Look at the pictures. That first UPC checks out.

And Gamestop did the same (getting "used" copies that were actually new) with all those PS1 RPGs many years ago, remember?

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 10:02:57 pm »
gonna boot up my scanner.

What should I call it? Just "Metroid Prime: Trilogy"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:05:52 pm by badATchaos »

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 10:25:10 pm »
I'd go with Metroid Prime: Trilogy (Reissue), and mention that this is a second print that came in a standard Wii box in the item description field. Does this include any of the bonuses from the original print?

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:33:56 pm »
From what I can tell the manual and the disc are the same, otherwise the packaging is different. I'll be sure to mention what you said above.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:17:18 pm »