Author Topic: How many of you went and sold all your games back in the day?  (Read 4571 times)

Re: How many of you went and sold all your games back in the day?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 11:06:19 pm »
You all think you had it bad? My family was all about that charity man. So my mother convinced me when I got my Gamecube at launch time that I should be charitable with my N64. So I was; I donated it and about 30 games to the nursery at our church. That thing went from pristine machinery to dead lump of plastic in a matter of 2 months. It got tossed in the garbage in the yearly spring cleaning push our church makes.

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 04:25:16 am »
I didn't sell off a lot of my stuff maybe like 20 Ps1 games 10 ps2 games. The only one I regret is my original Xbox collection, only because I had Conker: Live and Reloaded and Stubbs the Zombie, both are kind of expensive now.
On the other hand though, I did get one of my best deals from a bud down a couple houses, N64 three controllers, expansion pack, and about 30 games for twenty bucks
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:27:16 am by kingrat101 »

theflea

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 04:53:34 am »
Never sold any of my games/consoles, even still own my first system a four switch sears Atari 2600. (still works too) I lost one, My first Odyssey 2 stopped working then I a gave it to a friend's dad to see if he could fix it and never got it back.
only time I sell games is extras.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

hexen

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 02:32:37 pm »
All these stories of parents or significant others selling your personal things... I can't even IMAGINE such a invasion of personal property...  :-\
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

scott

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 04:44:50 pm »
Those stories are the reason why I never told the GF the value of some of my stuff for the first year we were dating. It wasn't until I mentioned the prices of some of the Castlevania stuff that she was asking about the other stuff. And I told her flat out, that we are never selling anything.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 08:08:09 pm »
I've sold bits of my collection like that three times.

The first time was to go on a trip to visit some internet friends. The visit went ... very poorly, and wasn't worth getting rid of so many good things.

The second was to fund an emergency computer purchase. My second PC's CPU uh, burned up. Yes, really. I bought my current computer with that.

And the third... well, I'm in the middle of it. Building a new PC.

I've never had anyone sell my things, period. I did however experience my mother forcing me to throw out the boxes from some of my very first PC games... Gabriel Knight III, Gabriel Knight Mysteries, Tachyon The Fringe, Homeworld Game of the Year.

:\
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:10:46 pm by foxhack »

blipcs76

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 10:30:51 am »
As a kid, the only thing I ever sold my was NES and games.  Though everything I had was common, so getting those games back as an adult was easy.

In college, I sold my Sega Saturn and games for $80 so I could buy a DVD player.  The thing that really stung was one of the games was Guardian Heroes.  Really regret that one.

About ten years ago, I sold all of my TG-16 games (kept the system though).  I had a few pretty good ones, including a Splatterhouse complete with the cardboard box.  I regret that as well, now I have nothing to play on my TG16 :(

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 03:15:41 am »
I remember when I was maybe 16 or 17, I took my super nintendo and all my games down to a local video game store.  Games included Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Final fantasy II and III, among others.  I traded them all in for a Atari Jaguar and the game club drive. 

The guy at the counter asked me at one point: "Are you sure you wanna do this man?"  I said Yep and have regretted it ever since.

Fortunately, Iv'e gotten all those games back AND my atari jaguar now.  But to this day i can't help but think this was one of the dumbest things i've ever done in my life.   :'(

Warmsignal

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 03:32:56 pm »
I remember when I was maybe 16 or 17, I took my super nintendo and all my games down to a local video game store.  Games included Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Final fantasy II and III, among others.  I traded them all in for a Atari Jaguar and the game club drive. 

The guy at the counter asked me at one point: "Are you sure you wanna do this man?"  I said Yep and have regretted it ever since.

Fortunately, Iv'e gotten all those games back AND my atari jaguar now.  But to this day i can't help but think this was one of the dumbest things i've ever done in my life.   :'(

And they tell us not to worry about the fluoride in our drinking water.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 03:34:33 pm by Warmsignal »

argyle

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 10:47:55 am »
The last time I sold off a chunk of my games - and I *mean* last, because I don't plan to ever do it again - was about 7-8 years ago.  I decided I had PS2 games I'd never play and I needed to whittle down my collection.  I bet I took a bag of 50+ games to GS.  :(  Many of those I've gotten back, but a few of my RPGs I'm still looking for - such as the Wild Arms games, which are getting pricier to reacquire. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 02:24:08 pm »
I came from a really weird conservative household where video games were absolutely forbidden until my parents finally decided they weren't an affront to God (not exaggerating), so I didn't really get into gaming until my early teens. (Of course, I just went to my neighbor's house and played their games for a few years before then. :P ) By that point, I was just too happy to be finally buying and playing my favorite games to sell them off. ... Didn't stop my little brother from going behind my back and trading them in for pocket change at our local Gamestop, though.

Long story short, I tend to hold onto my games even now. I only ever sell things things when I 1) want to get a new copy in better condition, 2) have duplicates, or 3) need money fast. Even if I lose interest in a game, I often hang on to it because I know I'll usually want to play it again later.

You all think you had it bad? My family was all about that charity man. So my mother convinced me when I got my Gamecube at launch time that I should be charitable with my N64. So I was; I donated it and about 30 games to the nursery at our church. That thing went from pristine machinery to dead lump of plastic in a matter of 2 months. It got tossed in the garbage in the yearly spring cleaning push our church makes.

Yeesh that sucks. I'm sorry that happened to you.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2014, 06:13:39 pm »
I sold a few PS1/SNES games way back when I was really young, but stopped once I started collecting.

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 02:20:18 pm »
When I was a kid, a friend of mine who was older gave me his SNES and a bunch of games. I traded all of it into gamestop after a year for like $20 because I was a stupid kid and I didn't know any better. I'm pretty sure if I were to sell all of it today I would be able to get over $300 easily. -curls up into a ball and cries-

Just to give you an idea, here are some of the games he gave me:
-one was a mario rpg game (i've seen it sell for around $50 on ebay)
-a TMNT beat 'em up
-Mario world
-kirby's dream land 3

spac316

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 06:14:29 pm »
Yeah, I sold and traded not all but a good number of my games back in the day. Mostly so I could buy new ones. I do regret it for the most part and I'm taking the time to find and buy them again.

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 07:58:34 pm »
I sell my games all the time.  I used to try to collect for every system like a lot of people do, but it was just taking me in too many directions & I wasn't getting as far as I wanted to with any of them, so decided I was only going to really collect for Game Boy (which has always been my favorite).  I probably sold about half of my systems & used a lot of the money to get more games for the GB.