Author Topic: NEW Duplicate Listing Thread  (Read 180671 times)

matt

Re: NEW Duplicate Listing Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 10:53:09 am »
Both would be best. I have a new admin function that will take both..merge them and delete the unused one.

tpugmire

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 12:07:24 pm »
Bump, just getting this back on the first page so I can work on it again.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 08:49:33 am »
Kirby's Avalanche
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Ninja Warriors
Battletoads & Double Dragon
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong Quest
Mega Man X    
F-Zero

All SNES dupes.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

tpugmire

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 10:21:29 am »
Jeez, I just went through them all last week...
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 10:38:11 am »
Ya they just got added last night...

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 11:27:56 am »
I think its about time to lock some of these as they are pretty close to complete.

atariboy

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 11:39:26 am »
I agree, I think new people are clicking on the submit new item button to add to their collections rather than just adding.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

scott

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 12:09:29 pm »
@pceslayer I agree, perhaps we should start making a list of "complete" / "near complete" sections. And only allow for editing of entries in those sections. Maybe allow additional entries to be added with approval, to allow for Variants.

@atariboy Ya I thought the same. Seems like it could be easy to mistake for a submit to your collection function, rather than submit to database function.

tpugmire

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 11:51:37 am »
That is exactly what is happening.  A few of the SNES games that were added, and a few existing listings that were edited by the same person, have the condition of their particular copy in the description section.  I've fixed any that I've come across, and all the aforementioned SNES duplicates are fixed.

matt

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 01:14:02 pm »
The next big update will address this issue. Submitting new items will be a three step process.

1) Enter item name and platform.
2) A search will be performed on the item name and display results if there are any.
3) If no results the user will be prompted to input the remaining fields.

Hopefully this will clear up any of the confusion. We will always have a few that split through the cracks but such is life if we want to keep our database open and flowing. Thanks for all the help so far!

tpugmire

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 10:12:39 am »
I realize that you don't want to lock categories, but pretty much every day for about 2 weeks now, I have to go in and remove duplicate listings from the SNES category.  I know it's 99.9% complete (Allowing for label variants, etc.), so I don't see any reason that it should remain open.  The same could be said for NES as well.  These are the two sections that I spend the most time in removing duplicates.  If there's nothing left to add, what is the point in making more work than is necessary?

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 11:27:10 am »
Well I added 3-5 games in my relatively small 60-game SNES collection just the other night, so I don't know how complete the SNES section is (I did search! : P)  This could lead back to the searching flaw I mentioned in my thread, there games with a leading The such as "The Lion King" don't come up in searches due to the styling methods.

I can definitely see there being a transition period in the future where a report button is added to correct information rather than the complete form being available to modify.

scott

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 11:47:02 am »
Hopefully we can find a common ground solution to the problem soon. I agree the biggest problem is the failure of the "The" search.

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 01:15:13 pm »
I'm trying to figure this one out conceptually.  I guess the search procedure would have to have a conditional statement looking for the characters ', The' then, when it is found, logically append 'The ' to the front of the name of the given game(s) for the search.

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 02:09:00 pm »
Mega Man X8 has two entries: http://vgcollect.com/item/1221 and http://vgcollect.com/item/1224 with the latter having a bit more information than the former.