Author Topic: Game Gear vs. Atari Lynx, Who Was #2?  (Read 4605 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Game Gear vs. Atari Lynx, Who Was #2?
« on: April 29, 2014, 09:00:23 pm »

We all well know that Game Boy far and away won the original handheld system war. But which one in your opinion was #2 back then? Was it Sega Game Gear, or Atari Lynx?

Re: Game Gear vs. Atari Lynx, Who Was #2?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:05:12 pm »
I feel that the Game Gear had a better library

soera

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 10:33:41 pm »
I wouldnt necessarily put the GB as the official number 1. Duo color palette and horrible lighting kill the GB for me. Game gear would be number one over the Lynx specifically for a better library option and all around availability.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:57:34 pm »
I never knew Atari had a handheld platform until I started collecting. Come to think of it, I don't remember ever seeing any marketing for the Jag, either.

My cousins had the Game Boy but I really wanted a Game Gear. It just seemed to be the logical choice based on hardware capabilities alone (of course, I was also a Sega fanboy at the time). I wound up getting a Nomad around '96 since I already had a decent library of Genesis games and didn't want to purchase a bunch of new stuff for a new platform (although I probably could have afforded it based on the number of batteries I went through with that thing).

I'd say in the area I grew up in the Game Boy was a clear leader and the Game Gear was a solid second. It seemed like nobody spoke of any of the other competitors. I had never seen a TurboExpress until I saw Enemy of the State.

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 11:09:01 pm »
Yeah GB sold like hotcakes, but IMO it was lousy compared to these. It's actually pretty tough to say between these two, which is better. GG library is a bit more diverse, but Lynx games look great for a handheld from 1989.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:11:19 pm by Warmsignal »

thecrypticodor

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 12:11:48 am »
I feel that the Game Gear had a better library
Agreed Also if you count the Master System's library of which the Game Gear is capable of playing with the MS adapter than even more so.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:13:55 am by thecrypticodor »

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 02:42:34 am »
Sweet I didn't know they had an adapter. Admittedly I don't really know a huge amount about early Sega. Where I grew up everyone was on SNES/NES

blipcs76

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 10:35:02 am »
Hands-down, the Game Gear was the #2 system.  And this is coming from a Lynx fan.  I bought a Lynx in the early 90's and loved it, but it had a serious lack of 3rd party support.  Nearly everything on it was Atari games and arcade ports.  That being said, I had a lot of fun with games like Warbirds, Rygar, Ninja Gaiden (arcade) and Klax.

I come across Game Gear stuff regularly in the wild and have picked up a couple of systems over the years.  By comparison, I've never come by a Lynx system anywhere and have only seen Lynx games for sale at retro game stores.  My local Goodwill always has Game Gear games for sale.  In fact, I was there last week and there was a Game Gear system on the shelf.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 12:13:03 pm »
Game Gear afcourse. Not because i used to own one then, and now have 10 of them  8).

dreama1

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 04:33:49 pm »
Hey what about TurboExpress? Come on

atariboy

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 04:47:20 pm »
In my opinion I think the Game Gear won the overall second spot in sales but if we are talking about my opinion on who should have gotten second, then I would have to say the Lynx. I just enjoy playing the lynx more than my Game Gear.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

theflea

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 08:03:34 am »

If your gonna compare the TurboExpress with something it's gotta be with the Sega Nomad.
Both are portable versions of the their 16-bit console counterpart.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

soera

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 08:42:24 am »
I was going to say something along those lines too. Turbo Express isnt as much a handheld system as it is a portable version of the console.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 03:47:59 pm »

If your gonna compare the TurboExpress with something it's gotta be with the Sega Nomad.

+1, or the SupaBoy

thecrypticodor

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 05:58:24 pm »

The Game Gear is really nothing but a portablized Master System. Their hardware is nearly identical to each other. Which is the reason as to why it's capable of playing MS games with the Master Gear Converter. So it's actually not really all that different from the Nomad and TurboExpress.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:16:00 pm by thecrypticodor »