Author Topic: Retron 5 an In-depth Review (Updated 6/14/2014)  (Read 32022 times)

Re: Retron 5 an In-depth Review (Updated 6/14/2014)
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 01:57:30 am »
I have been actively testing the last few beta builds of the next Retron 5 firmware and I have to say. The next update is going to be effing amazing. Compatibility was already at 97% with what's been tested with the current public firmware... After this next update they are going to be 98-99.

These guys are working their asses off. In some cases they have literally fixed games on the spot after I sent them a screenshot. :P

That's good though.  Later on I'll get one for sure once they get everything patched and the price drops abit, cause it looks really good.

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 12:25:13 am »
I was wondering if I could contribute to the compatibility form you have through Google Documents? I have found some issues in games that are not mentioned and I have games that are not included on the list.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 01:08:39 am »
I was wondering if I could contribute to the compatibility form you have through Google Documents? I have found some issues in games that are not mentioned and I have games that are not included on the list.

Always happy to get new contributors to cover more games (especially problem games). PM me your email address and Facebook info (if you have a facebook account).

I like to get to know the folks who are contributing. :)

soera

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 02:44:43 pm »
Well, I just got charged my Amazon for $99.99 ... I dont have anything else I was waiting on so Im assuming they are sending out my Retron 5 soon.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 01:16:52 am »
Well, I just got charged my Amazon for $99.99 ... I dont have anything else I was waiting on so Im assuming they are sending out my Retron 5 soon.

Holy crap that's late for a pre-order.

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 07:16:16 am »
Hi dashv.

Great reviev of the Retron5. Was very helpful for my decision to get one. Well, I am from Switzerland, Europe and got the console, although there is no official launch of the Retron 5 in Europe yet. (Thanks to eBay, I got one.)

First of all: It is the 2nd console I have, had to send the 1st one back, as it arrived broken. The one I am having now seems to be fine.

What I am really thankful for, is your compability list you generated - AWESOME! Thanks. Wanna give something back now, and would like to add my whole own collection to your list.

What I see: As the console came out in the US only, not that many games (european and japanese versions) are on the list. Guess I can help here..

So far, out of my 81 games in my collection: 3 do not run at all:

Mega Man 5 (Rockman 5) - JAP Famicom. Is loading up to 100%, then cart unknown shown. Screen is freezing in black & white immediately. Other Famicom games (e.g. Rockman 2 and 4) in my collection do work. As I have no original Famicom console anymore: the cartridge is untested.

Devil Crash - JAP Mega Drive. Is loading up to 100%. Retron5 is recognizing the game! But game does not start: screen is blinking black and then white, black, white, etc.. Cartridge works fine on my original Mega Drive console, so cartridge is tested.

Gynoug - JAP Mega Drive. Is loading up to 100%. Retron5 is recognizing the game! But game does not start: screen turns immediately red (Rerton5 background red). Nothing works. Cartridge works fine on my original Mega Drive console, so cartridge is tested.

All the following games are working! (Sorry, some of them are already on your masterlist, but having many JAP and EU games that are not on the list.)

NES - FAMICOM GAMES

Ice Hockey - NTSC
Life Force - NTSC
Cobra Triangle - NTSC
Bionic Commando - NTSC
Mega Man 1 - PAL
Mega Man 2 (Rockman 2) - JAP Famicom
Mega Man 3 - PAL
Mega Man 4 (Rockman 4) - JAP Famicom
Mega Man 6 - NTSC
Ice Climber - PAL
Kung Fu - NTSC
Pac-Man - NTSC
Gradius - NTSC
Blades of Steel - NTSC
Probotector 2/Super C  - NTSC
Puzznic - NTSC
1942 - NTSC
SMB3 - NTSC
Tennis - NTSC
Duck Tales - NTSC
Journey to Silius - NTSC
Mike Tyson's Punch Out - NTSC
Probotector 1/Contra - PAL
Blue Shadow - PAL
Zelda 1 - NTSC
Donkey Kong Classics - NTSC
SMB1 - PAL

MD Games / Genesis Games

Mega Games 2: Str Rage 1/Rev Shinobi 1/Gold Axe 1 - PAL
Rambo 3 - JAP
World of Illusion - PAL
T2 - The arcade game - JAP
Quackshot - PAL
Strider - JAP
Sonic Classics: Sonic 1 / Sonic 2 / Dr. Robotnik - NTSC
Micro Machines - NTSC
Micro Machines 2 Turbo - PAL
Virtua Racing - NTSC
EA Hockey - PAL
Super Soccer - PAL
NHL 95 - PAL
Italia 90 - PAL
Musha Aleste - JAP
Splatterhouse 2 - PAL
Gunstar Heroes - JAP
Castle of Illusion - JAP
Road Rash 2 - NTSC
Aladdin - NTSC
Thunder Force 3 - JAP
Mickey Mania - PAL
Sunset Riders - PAL
Elemental Master - JAP
Frogger - NTSC
Tatsujin - JAP
Mega Probotector - PAL
Shadow Dancer, Shinobi 2 - JAP
Phelios - JAP
Thunder Force 4 - JAP
Alien Soldier - PAL
Bare Knuckle 3 - JAP

SNES Games / Super Famicom Games

Alien 3 - PAL
Donkey Kong Country 1 - NTSC
Super Punch Out - NTSC
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting - PAL
Thunder Spirits - NTSC
Super Aleste - JAP
Super Mario Kart - JAP
Super Probotector / Contra III: Alien wars - JAP
Super Mario World - PAL
Gradius III - JAP
Darius Twin - JAP
Super R-Type - JAP
Mortal Kombat II - NTSC
Super Turrican 1 - JAP
Mega Man X (Rockman X) - JAP
Mega Man X2 (Rockman X2) - JAP
Street Racer - JAP
Mega Man 7 (Rockman 7) - JAP
Mega Man X3 (Rockman X3) - JAP

Explanation:
NTSC = US cartridge    = NTSC-US
PAL = European cartridge = PAL A or B
JAP = Japanese cartridge = NTSC-J

all cartridges are originals

System Software v0.2.2      
Application version v2.1      
Cheat database v1.1      

So hope this helps everybody and may my list will make it to your compability list as well. And mainly: lets make Hyperkin to fix the Gynoug, Devil Crash and Rockman 5 issue!

Happy gaming!
Srider

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2014, 01:17:12 pm »
Hi dashv.

Great reviev of the Retron5. Was very helpful for my decision to get one. Well, I am from Switzerland, Europe and got the console, although there is no official launch of the Retron 5 in Europe yet. (Thanks to eBay, I got one.)

First of all: It is the 2nd console I have, had to send the 1st one back, as it arrived broken. The one I am having now seems to be fine.

What I am really thankful for, is your compability list you generated - AWESOME! Thanks. Wanna give something back now, and would like to add my whole own collection to your list.

What I see: As the console came out in the US only, not that many games (european and japanese versions) are on the list. Guess I can help here..

So far, out of my 81 games in my collection: 3 do not run at all:

Mega Man 5 (Rockman 5) - JAP Famicom. Is loading up to 100%, then cart unknown shown. Screen is freezing in black & white immediately. Other Famicom games (e.g. Rockman 2 and 4) in my collection do work. As I have no original Famicom console anymore: the cartridge is untested.

Devil Crash - JAP Mega Drive. Is loading up to 100%. Retron5 is recognizing the game! But game does not start: screen is blinking black and then white, black, white, etc.. Cartridge works fine on my original Mega Drive console, so cartridge is tested.

Gynoug - JAP Mega Drive. Is loading up to 100%. Retron5 is recognizing the game! But game does not start: screen turns immediately red (Rerton5 background red). Nothing works. Cartridge works fine on my original Mega Drive console, so cartridge is tested.

All the following games are working! (Sorry, some of them are already on your masterlist, but having many JAP and EU games that are not on the list.)

NES - FAMICOM GAMES

Ice Hockey - NTSC
Life Force - NTSC
Cobra Triangle - NTSC
Bionic Commando - NTSC
Mega Man 1 - PAL
Mega Man 2 (Rockman 2) - JAP Famicom
Mega Man 3 - PAL
Mega Man 4 (Rockman 4) - JAP Famicom
Mega Man 6 - NTSC
Ice Climber - PAL
Kung Fu - NTSC
Pac-Man - NTSC
Gradius - NTSC
Blades of Steel - NTSC
Probotector 2/Super C  - NTSC
Puzznic - NTSC
1942 - NTSC
SMB3 - NTSC
Tennis - NTSC
Duck Tales - NTSC
Journey to Silius - NTSC
Mike Tyson's Punch Out - NTSC
Probotector 1/Contra - PAL
Blue Shadow - PAL
Zelda 1 - NTSC
Donkey Kong Classics - NTSC
SMB1 - PAL

MD Games / Genesis Games

Mega Games 2: Str Rage 1/Rev Shinobi 1/Gold Axe 1 - PAL
Rambo 3 - JAP
World of Illusion - PAL
T2 - The arcade game - JAP
Quackshot - PAL
Strider - JAP
Sonic Classics: Sonic 1 / Sonic 2 / Dr. Robotnik - NTSC
Micro Machines - NTSC
Micro Machines 2 Turbo - PAL
Virtua Racing - NTSC
EA Hockey - PAL
Super Soccer - PAL
NHL 95 - PAL
Italia 90 - PAL
Musha Aleste - JAP
Splatterhouse 2 - PAL
Gunstar Heroes - JAP
Castle of Illusion - JAP
Road Rash 2 - NTSC
Aladdin - NTSC
Thunder Force 3 - JAP
Mickey Mania - PAL
Sunset Riders - PAL
Elemental Master - JAP
Frogger - NTSC
Tatsujin - JAP
Mega Probotector - PAL
Shadow Dancer, Shinobi 2 - JAP
Phelios - JAP
Thunder Force 4 - JAP
Alien Soldier - PAL
Bare Knuckle 3 - JAP

SNES Games / Super Famicom Games

Alien 3 - PAL
Donkey Kong Country 1 - NTSC
Super Punch Out - NTSC
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting - PAL
Thunder Spirits - NTSC
Super Aleste - JAP
Super Mario Kart - JAP
Super Probotector / Contra III: Alien wars - JAP
Super Mario World - PAL
Gradius III - JAP
Darius Twin - JAP
Super R-Type - JAP
Mortal Kombat II - NTSC
Super Turrican 1 - JAP
Mega Man X (Rockman X) - JAP
Mega Man X2 (Rockman X2) - JAP
Street Racer - JAP
Mega Man 7 (Rockman 7) - JAP
Mega Man X3 (Rockman X3) - JAP

Explanation:
NTSC = US cartridge    = NTSC-US
PAL = European cartridge = PAL A or B
JAP = Japanese cartridge = NTSC-J

all cartridges are originals

System Software v0.2.2      
Application version v2.1      
Cheat database v1.1      

So hope this helps everybody and may my list will make it to your compability list as well. And mainly: lets make Hyperkin to fix the Gynoug, Devil Crash and Rockman 5 issue!

Happy gaming!
Srider

Private message me your email address and I'll grant you permission to edit the list! :)

There is also an unofficial forum now just for the Retron 5 at:
http://Https://www.retro5.net

Thanks for posting!

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2014, 05:34:55 pm »
So apparently there was abit of a scandal with the Retron 5 recently? Something about using other peoples emulators without crediting them or I guess asking for permission, and then they just raised the price up by 20 bucks.

What I'm going to wait for is a HD NES that might get released eventually.  Played a prototype, that was the most super of prototypes, but might've been one of the best NES experiences I've ever had lol Visually astounding, it would play NES games normally with no emulation, and it had a controller that was the most clicky of buttons and was amazing.

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2014, 03:53:52 am »
I would like for you to add the following to the Retron 5 Compatibility List on Google Docs:

Pokemon Emerald - GBA - NOT Recognized - Does NOT Copy Saves to Retron or vice versa - Does NOT Wipe Out Saves - Everything else is YES

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages - Game Boy Color - I would like to concur that it does NOT Copy Saves to Retron or vice versa.

haloofthesun

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2014, 03:14:04 pm »
So I picked up a Retron 5 today. I was enjoying it and just trying out a bunch of different games until suddenly it stopped recognizing SNES carts. 6 of the pins are already bent. I've been taking them all out properly (lifting from the corner) and while the grip is tight, it wasn't a problem. Except on Super Castlevania IV. The console just wouldn't let that game go, and even though I removed it properly, I'm gussing the pins got bent on that one, because after that it wouldn't read most of the carts I tried:

Earthworm Jim (I couldn't even get it to recognize the game was inserted), Jurassic Park, ActRaiser, Aladdin, Super Mario World - and it didn't recognize some that had previously worked: E.V.O., Family Feud, Wild Snake, Breath of Fire.

It recognizes and will play some, but for Link to the Past the graphics were so messed up it's unplayable.

Very unhappy. Guess I'll be trying to send it back.

EDIT: Oddly enough, I'm not having any problems removing games from the NES slot like the majority of people seem to have. It's just the SNES slot that's super tight.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 04:23:28 pm by haloofthesun »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2014, 01:57:28 pm »
I would like for you to add the following to the Retron 5 Compatibility List on Google Docs:

Pokemon Emerald - GBA - NOT Recognized - Does NOT Copy Saves to Retron or vice versa - Does NOT Wipe Out Saves - Everything else is YES

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages - Game Boy Color - I would like to concur that it does NOT Copy Saves to Retron or vice versa.

I've had no problem with Pokemon Emerald on mine, in fact I don't even get the internal battery has dried up message

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2014, 10:53:13 pm »
I didn't read through every post on this thread, but I was wondering if anyone has tried downloading the fan translations for some of the famicom games and seen if that worked or not?  I've only read about the retron 5's ability to do that and wasn't sure if most games had a translation or if this was even a thing at all haha.  Just wondering cause I have a couple of dragon quest games on the super famicom that I'd love to play if there was a semi decent translation, but I wanted to see if anyone else has tried this yet.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2014, 01:49:08 am »
I didn't read through every post on this thread, but I was wondering if anyone has tried downloading the fan translations for some of the famicom games and seen if that worked or not?  I've only read about the retron 5's ability to do that and wasn't sure if most games had a translation or if this was even a thing at all haha.  Just wondering cause I have a couple of dragon quest games on the super famicom that I'd love to play if there was a semi decent translation, but I wanted to see if anyone else has tried this yet.

Oh yes. They are indeed a thing. :D

The Retro5 forums are your best place to see the latest conversions and translations.

https://www.retro5.net/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=e82f4a13df096618ce2574b646263af0

haloofthesun

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2014, 06:41:17 pm »
Just as an update to my earlier post, if anyone is curious about their quality of customer support and the return process:

I know there's a lot of confusion and conflicting reports about how well Hyperkin handles these situations. Some people have said they've had to email and call, and ended up having to talk to several different people. For me, all I did was send an email and they replied the next day. They were very polite about it and told me to provide proof of purchase and take a picture of the bent pins and send it, and once I did they gave me my RMA number and that was it. After I sent it to them it only took about 2 weeks to get it back, and it's all working fine now. So far, anyway. A lot of people have said it took a month or even longer to get their console back. I asked upfront how long it would take on average, and the representative said usually 2 weeks but very rarely no more than 3. I don't know if that's true, but that's how it worked out for me.

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 02:04:36 pm »
I'd like to add to the Retron 5 compatibility list. My console has version 2.2 installed. the data on my copy of Legend of Zelda: Link's awakening (original GB version) was wiped when I inserted the game. I was able to copy a new save back to the cartridge.

Secondly, my copy of P.OW.: Prisoner of War on the NES comes up as unknown (the cart has been tested and works fine on my NES console.