Author Topic: Hardware Section Update coming soon...  (Read 4597 times)

matt

Hardware Section Update coming soon...
« on: December 27, 2011, 07:50:18 pm »
Hey all,

We are going to start working on cleaning up our Hardware listings. As of right now they are all just grouped together into one big category, which as you all know is a mess. Our plan is to break this category into smaller Hardware sections. For examples we'll now have a Nintendo 64 Hardware category and an NES/Famicom Hardware category. We've begun to build these out but probably won't be finished for a few days.

Once this is complete we are going to roll out an update to our style guide which will tackle how these items should be listed.

Thanks!

Re: Hardware Section Update coming soon...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 08:46:20 pm »
Excellent! This update should help a lot. Of course there will be other issues caused by this update (e.g., hardware/accessories that fall into multiple categories). Could I make a suggestion? How about breaking the categories into sections and subsections? We could have Nintendo 64 [NA] as a section, which would contain games, hardware, and maybe accessories. Hell, you could have Nintendo 64 as a main section, then put Nintendo 64 [PAL], Nintendo 64 [NTSC], etc. after that.

One more thing: My long platform list is a little inconsistent. I have Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS, and Nintendo 64, then I have DSiWare up top and Super Nintendo and Wii at the bottom. Maybe it's better this way, but I would enjoy seeing them all together and happy.

matt

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 11:22:07 am »
Eventually we are going to break down the hardware into more detailed sections, so this is really the first step in that direction. If needed we will create another tier of categories. So we could have Nintendo 64 -> Nintendo 64 [NA] -> Games/Hardware/Accessories

As for the actual list, right now they simply list in alpha order. I honestly don't really see this changing but maybe once we finish this overhaul that'll change.

hexen

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 08:13:54 pm »
I greatly look forward to this being completed. It will really sort things out in a nice way.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 08:35:58 am »
@matt Great! For the list I suppose I meant how about changing Wii to Nintendo Wii?

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 06:23:55 am »
Hi, mind adding Playstation Vita to the list while you are doing the cleanup?
Thanks

matt

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 08:25:01 pm »
@escalein

I added the US version here:

http://vgcollect.com/browse/vita

Thanks!

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 10:28:46 pm »
... The Vita ain't out in Americaland until February. :P

matt

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 06:32:04 am »
oh I know but launch games are known and I'm sure some people would love to start populating the database/wishlist. Might as well get the jump on things!

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 04:22:40 am »
@matt Cool, thanks.