Author Topic: The ones that got away. . .  (Read 2703 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: The ones that got away. . .
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 03:52:58 pm »
Moved to California. Went through my stuff dozens of times. Could not find the following games:

Jackal (nes)
Tmnt (nes)
Zelda gold 5 screw (nes)
Day dreamin davey (nes)
Jurassic Park (nes)
Dr. Jekyll and mr. Hyde (nes)
Ducktales (nes)
Mario 3 (nes)
Mario 2 (nes)
Mega Man III
Kirby's dreamland (gb)
Kirby's pinball land (gb)
Game genie with mini code book (gb)
Super Mario land 3 (wario land). (gb)
Zelda: oracle of seasons (gb)

So I repurchased most of the nes stuff (the gb stuff I still don't have).

Visited my Dad last month. Guess what was on his shelf?

All the nes games in the list above.

Still have no idea what happened to my gb titles and game genie.

Collector problems

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 04:03:10 pm »
Moved to California. Went through my stuff dozens of times. Could not find the following games:

Jackal (nes)
Tmnt (nes)
Zelda gold 5 screw (nes)
Day dreamin davey (nes)
Jurassic Park (nes)
Ducktales (nes)
Mario 3 (nes)
Mario 2 (nes)
Mega Man III
Kirby's dreamland (gb)

To add insult to injury I was able to find the box and manual to much of the above. Including Oracle of seasons.

Did you use movers? Never trust movers.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 11:53:01 pm »

Jackal (nes)
Tmnt (nes)
Zelda gold 5 screw (nes)
Day dreamin davey (nes)
Jurassic Park (nes)
Ducktales (nes)
Mario 3 (nes)
Mario 2 (nes)
Mega Man III
Kirby's dreamland (gb)

To add insult to injury I was able to find the box and manual to much of the above. Including Oracle of seasons.

Did you use movers? Never trust movers.

We used movers. Oracle of Seasons I lost before move. Only the Kirby Games and Game Genie are still lost. My dumb ass probably packed them "extra safe someplace I won't forget". :P

Everything turned up at my Dads.

blipcs76

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 10:56:25 am »
A few games I've passed on fairly recently and later regretted -- Ghostbusters (Genesis) for $4, Phantasy Star Online (GC) for $5.

In the past, I missed my chance to pick up Atari Jaguars and Pikachu N64 systems when they were on clearance.  Kicking myself now.

I found a complete Apple II computer system with lots of software and accessories at a Christian school sale a few years ago for $10.  Didn't realize what I passed up until later that day, went back and it was gone.

And the worst was when I was in college in the late 90's I worked at a video store and at one point we did a mass purge on all of our 8 and 16 bit games that were no longer renting or selling.  This was about 3 years before I got into collecting, but as an employee I could get anything for $1.  I probably missed out on a bunch of NES holy grails simply because I wasn't a collector yet.  Man, if I knew then what I know now...   :'(

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 12:11:39 pm »
And the worst was when I was in college in the late 90's I worked at a video store and at one point we did a mass purge on all of our 8 and 16 bit games that were no longer renting or selling.  This was about 3 years before I got into collecting, but as an employee I could get anything for $1.  I probably missed out on a bunch of NES holy grails simply because I wasn't a collector yet.  Man, if I knew then what I know now...   :'(

I feel you. My brother sold my INCREDIBLE original NES collection for a Game Boy Color and a few games with a carrying case.

Not exactly the same situation, but I know that feeling of missing out on those games.

I had one that could bring tears to your eyes. Every single Mega Man, Castlevania, Mario, Dragon Warrior, Ultima, Lolo, Adventure Island in their respective series. And tons of other NES games. I even had all the cool accessories: Game Genie, Cleaning Kit, Joystick, TurboPads, Zapper.

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 10:58:39 pm »
Visiting family once and guy posted atari 5200 console complete in the box with manuals and all that stuff for $60 I said I'd do that as soon as he was available, he got back to me saying someone else already contacted him.  After I got back home he calls me saying the guy flaked and I could have it for 60.  Wasn't driving 8 hours to get it :(

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 01:51:18 am »
Visiting family once and guy posted atari 5200 console complete in the box with manuals and all that stuff for $60 I said I'd do that as soon as he was available, he got back to me saying someone else already contacted him.  After I got back home he calls me saying the guy flaked and I could have it for 60.  Wasn't driving 8 hours to get it :(

Ouch. That hurts.

Warmsignal

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 11:20:06 pm »
I've been pretty good about jumping on anything that seems right to buy, even if it is more than I'd like to pay. I can't think of many missed opportunities that I willingly walked away from. You might count DS games, since I remember when they were still plentiful at GS, now most of the good ones are hard to find with the box and manual. However, many of them were bought up long before they were heavily discounted. Wasn't willing to pay full retail for most of them.

Now one instance occurred to me, Conker Live and Reloaded. Passed up a $10 copy back in 2009, and regretted it a lot. Ended up finally finding a copy last month for $5 complete. Suffered years for that mistake, but I was newbie then.

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 03:00:54 am »
Two years ago or so, I wanted Crusader of Centy on Genesis. It was commonly going for about $60 on eBay, but the deal hunter in me wanted to wait until I could find it for $40 or $50... it never happened, and now it goes above $120 almost every time.