Author Topic: Best region for box-art?  (Read 1116 times)

thekosmickollector

Best region for box-art?
« on: July 16, 2014, 06:13:26 pm »
So I was wondering what part of the world you guys think is the best in terms of game boxes. Personally, I think it's quite the mixed bag - as a UK dweller I have to deal with spines that are usually boring as all hell, especially on PS2 & PSP. Some people think it looks nice & uniform but personally I'd prefer to have a logo. Even on PS3 exclusives it's just a background with the game name written on in Arial font :P But I do think, however, that a lot of the actual artwork on PAL region boxes is quite nice when compared to other regions, for example Ico and Final Fantasy X. Oh, and I actually like the chunky PS1 cases, despite their tendency to break when anything touches them :P

Re: Best region for box-art?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 06:17:25 pm »
Japan has the best box art. IMO.

Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 07:53:00 pm »
MetalJesus does a series on this. They're pretty good.

US and PAL do get good ones from time to time but overall I'd have to go with Japan. -Especially in the 8-16 bit years.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:55:07 pm by badATchaos »

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 08:05:45 pm »

US and PAL do get good ones from time to time but overall I'd have to go with Japan. -Especially in the 8-16 bit years.
As well as N64 JPN
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

maximo310

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 08:18:34 pm »
A lot of sega saturn and dreamcast games( mostly arcade ports in japan) seem to have better artwork than the na or european counterparts as well.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:42:20 pm »

As well as N64 JPN

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:57:13 pm by stuntman64 »
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

Warmsignal

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 10:42:23 pm »
Might be biased but I like NA art. We get western and eastern artwork styles. Also, our spines usually have distinguishing art on them instead of just text.

abe

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 11:00:52 pm »
The NES-era North American Mega Man box-art is the best for sure. I'd frame prints of those and hang them up on my wall. 8)
The GBA in Japan and the Famicom really had some awesome looking box-art though. I really liked the design of the boxes the games came in better too (and I like the design of the Famicom itself more than the NES).
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 02:51:07 am »
I think that Japanese boxes are the best.

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 10:30:07 am »
I'd say at least half the time Japan has the best box art, followed by North America. Occasionally the box art from a PAL version will catch my eye, but this has only happened a handful of times.

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 11:19:25 pm »
Who ever doesn't like that Perfect Dark box from Japan must be insane.  8) just saying....
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

argyle

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 04:50:58 am »
I *love* the new Japanese Kingdom Hearts 2.5 box art - if they change it over here this may be the first one where I print out my own custom cover:

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 09:42:56 am »
I *love* the new Japanese Kingdom Hearts 2.5 box art - if they change it over here this may be the first one where I print out my own custom cover:

I don't even like KH, but I have to say that is some awesome box-art! :)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 11:17:12 am »
I've always liked the art & music of KH far more than the actual games. ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis