Author Topic: lots  (Read 2380 times)

lots
« on: July 15, 2014, 10:42:41 pm »
Where do you buy big lots and cheap prices? Ebay sellers ask for rediculous prices.Not all but quite a bit do.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: lots
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 11:03:10 pm »
I get lots on craigslist. People don't want to fool with trying to sell stuff on eBay, and don't want to have a yardsale. So, they post it on craigslist and I buy out the whole shebang. 

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 11:08:17 pm »
I get lots on craigslist. People don't want to fool with trying to sell stuff on eBay, and don't want to have a yardsale. So, they post it on craigslist and I buy out the whole shebang.
I checked out Austin's Texas's Craigslist man, but they aren't selling big lots. I'll keep an eye out though.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

argyle

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 11:29:39 pm »
Everyone who sells on craigslist around here wants ebay prices or more. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 11:34:43 pm »
Maybe I could ask a game store in my hometown if I buy in bulk that they would lower the price?
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 01:43:25 am »
Everyone who sells on craigslist around here wants ebay prices or more.

This.

When I first got into collecting craigslist was like a giant online garage sale, and I scored weekly. Sure, there was the occasional reseller or person who thought mario/duck hunt was worth $40, but it was mostly a place where people dumped their unwanted games and consoles for cheap. I used to pick up some nice lots and even small collections for a third or less of their total EBAY value, but not for a long time now.

Ebay is just as bas for lots, often the lot goes for what you'd pay for each game individually, if not more. I rarely see completed listings for lots and say, "wow that person really scored!" Video games, especially retro games are too popular and seen by the most people as being potentially valuable so it is very hard these days to get a good price on a lot :/

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 01:52:57 am »
Maybe I could ask a game store in my hometown if I buy in bulk that they would lower the price?

I know one of the local stores here gives me crazy deals. But I am in his store constantly (at least 2-3 times a month) and I make it a point to always leave with something.

One day it might be a $3 dollar game. Now and then I might drop $100 or more.

I've gone in a few times planning to drop $20 and walked out with $30-$40 in games he marked down. One time I dropped $100 and he marked it down to $50. So I just put more games on the counter until we were back to the $100 I'd intended to spend. Another time I wasn't sure about a PSP so he gave me the charger, a 2 gig memory stick, and a carrying case and said "tell you what, try it for the weekend and let me know next week if you want it." When I came back later and told him I wanted it and pulled out my card he gave me a steep discount from the original price he'd quoted.

Over the past several months I can't think of a time he charged me actual sticker price for anything and always his sticker prices are less than amazon/ebay to begin with.

My point is not to brag but to bring up the fact that I've _never_ asked him for a discount and I even said on one visit "Dude, if I walk into your store and take up your time. I'm leaving you with some amount of cash. It might not be a lot. But it will be something."

The first visit to a shop is what I like to call "the honeymoon" visit. They point out their most impressive items and might cut you a deal. But often time it's just a facade.

If you look for the right signs, that time and each visit after you can start to see how they really operate. Look at their sticker prices to start with. Are they on par with, more than, or less than ebay/amazon? If they are more than, forget about discounts. They want every penny they can get. Are they on par with or less? Maybe there's some wiggle room.

Stand off in the back and listen to how they treat other customers. How do they deal with trades? Are they robbing folks blind or are they negotiating and giving them a decent deal? If they are robbing the guy blind they are unlikely to give you a discount. Again, they are maximizing their profit.

Pull out your cellphone as you look stuff over and see how they reach. I had one store owner roll his eyes and make a comment to someone else about how it annoyed him when folks did price checking right there in front if him. Little did the douchebag know I was actually checking my wishlist here on vgcollect. I left that store and never went back even though he had an item on my wishlist. He didn't see me as anything other than a wallet with money that he felt was his.

Try to shoot the breeze with the person at the counter. Is he the owner or an employee? Employees are generally limited in what they can do for you. The owner however can do whatever the hell he wants. So what does he want? Is he/she a friendly fellow or do they give off a "buy something or get the hell out" attitude? If they are friendly a deal is more likely.

Lastly, how many customers appear to be repeat customers? Are folks coming in all "hey buddy! good to see you?". Smart folks don't come back to stores that overcharge and abuse.

There are about 6 shops within a 20 mile radius of my house and after a few visits to the others I've decided they are not for me unless I have no other options (even then a few of them are out, period.)

Yeah there are deals to be had buying in bulk. But with the right store it's my experience that there are deals to be had as a repeat customer and you don't end up with a ton of dupe sports titles and Mario / Duck Hunts. :)

Not saying the lot thing is bad. If you find a good deal jump on it. theflea is amazing at it. But it largely depends on your area and the attitudes of the folks in play.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:59:47 am by dashv »

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 03:31:20 am »
You ppl make me cry when you talk about games stores and their abondance. I gotta get the hell out of Maine.

soera

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:11:09 am »
Its not much better around here. We have a couple of local chains (Vintage stock and Game Xchange) and neither of them will adjust a price for bulk. Their prices are set in their system. Most of their stock is pretty stagnant anyhow.

Craigslist sucks around here too. Its almost nothing but people wanting to sell current gen junk for full blown retail prices. If you do happen to see something thats interesting, 150000 other jackasses have already seen it too and your chances of getting it is pretty much nil. I have bought 1 item from Craigslist in my entire time of collecting and it was only cause I really wanted the game that was listed ... I didnt save any money on it.

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 01:13:41 am »
I personally have never found anything of interest beyond a controller here and there at flea markets or thrift stores etc.

Seems like I spend more in gas money and time looking for "the score". I don't want anything in my collection that isn't complete anymore anyway. Too many years of buying multiple copies of one item, to piece together the perfect game. If I can't get it online or at the local game shops....I guess I'm not getting it.

90snostalga

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 01:15:31 am »
Its not much better around here. We have a couple of local chains (Vintage stock and Game Xchange) and neither of them will adjust a price for bulk. Their prices are set in their system. Most of their stock is pretty stagnant anyhow.

Craigslist sucks around here too. Its almost nothing but people wanting to sell current gen junk for full blown retail prices. If you do happen to see something thats interesting, 150000 other jackasses have already seen it too and your chances of getting it is pretty much nil. I have bought 1 item from Craigslist in my entire time of collecting and it was only cause I really wanted the game that was listed ... I didnt save any money on it.

Sorry I was late on the Master System lot.   That's the only thing I've seen that was not gone in one day

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 01:32:13 pm »
Yeah I'm gonna have to agree there are way too many people and it's too well known to get great deals anymore on a regular basis.  I started about 3 years ago and I did decent and built an average collection, but I haven't added more than a couple games at a time since about a year ago because even yard sales people look everything up before hand and want retail.  Your best bet honestly is just suck it up and pay for what you really want, and then anytime you find a good deal just use whatever you found to trade with other people interested in collecting.  If you hook other people up with good deals and just make friends that's the easiest way now a-days since it's more of a community and social thing in my opinion than just playing the games we find.

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 03:46:56 pm »
Where do you buy big lots and cheap prices? Ebay sellers ask for rediculous prices.Not all but quite a bit do.
You can't really lump all ebay sellers into one bunch though.  There are all kinds of people on there selling things for all kinds of different reasons.  I always check my ebay feed at lunch time and sometimes you can find some great buy-it-now deals on lots.  It's all about showing up all the time and looking, unfortunately. 

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 04:43:23 pm »
You can't really lump all ebay sellers into one bunch though.  There are all kinds of people on there selling things for all kinds of different reasons.  I always check my ebay feed at lunch time and sometimes you can find some great buy-it-now deals on lots.  It's all about showing up all the time and looking, unfortunately.

That's real hard to do before LukieGames or DKoldies snatches them up.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 06:49:44 pm »

That's real hard to do before LukieGames or DKoldies snatches them up.

Well, sometimes they have to fill orders and stuff so they don't get 'em all.  Plus I probably check it at work more than I should during the day;).  I spent a lot of time in the ebay forums and they say that they switch servers around and different states get access to different items on different days, which I sort of believe from selling myself.   
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:05:33 pm by gartcat »