Author Topic: GS Case Rescue  (Read 1260 times)

GrooDWanderer

GS Case Rescue
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:26:01 pm »
So, went to my local GameStop today ( been going more often since they're close to the "not accepting PSP games anymore" thing) and saw these in the trash. Like right there in the bin behind the counter. After the employee got off the phone, i said, "Hey!" and pointed down to the trash can, "what's up with these?" He asked if I wanted them and I said OF COURSE!!! He proceeded to dig through his trash bins and took all of them out. He told me that as they receive trade-ins, they toss the cases , WITH THE MANUALS, in the trash before they add them to their inventory. So, I left my number and asked that they please call me ANYTIME they get cases that they are going to throw away and I will gladly pick them up same day before they close. Let's see if they call. All but one of these has the manual inside.

As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.

pacpix

Re: GS Case Rescue
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:30:46 pm »
...All this time I thought that it was the people that bought the game that threw away the cases.  This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:16:13 pm »
This is a crime against game-anity. Instead of going after ISIS we should be going after Gamestop.

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:49:56 pm »
This is a crime against game-anity. Instead of going after ISIS we should be going after Gamestop.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. I don't see GameStop employees chopping 2 year-old's heads off, but you never know.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 11:34:36 pm »
They've been doing this for years across many different consoles. This is the single biggest thing I hate about Gamestop, with about a dozen lessor things as well. I even had one douche-hat manager brag about how he has tossed some really hard to find PS2 and Gamecube cases, all with a freakin smile on his face. I seriously wanted to beat the shit out of him and stuff a bunch of the paper sleeves they end up putting a lot of their loose disc games in down his throat! It is big enough of an issue to where I do not and will not shop there ever again.

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 11:49:29 pm »
That is such bullshit they should offer the cases to people ... Hmmm possibly keep it with the DAMN game! What idiots, I can't believe they don't just put them either with the game and sell or maybe near the game and let someone buy the empty, that they might just need to complete the copy they have of that game. I never really liked shopping at GameStop it's a hassle to sit there and make sure they give you the complete game that you took up to the counter it should not be like this. I think I boycott them and stick with flea markets, yard sales and ebay. At least I know what I am getting.

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 11:57:27 pm »
It just seems like a stupid idea no matter what. I can't think of another business, that deals with used items, that purposefully destroys merchandise before putting it up for sale. Most would want the pre-owned items looking in the best shape possible in order to ask for the highest price possible. They don't care, the prices are set at corporate and whatever the computer prints out is the price of that item and is placed on it regardless of condition.

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 12:02:05 am »
I've have heard of people dumpster diving to get everything they throw away, I didn't realize that GameStop was that stupid. Some people are crazy enough to go behind the store and find all the stuff that they stupidly throw out... GameStops corporate are a bunch of idiots... I hope the people dumpster diving can save as much as they can

argyle

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 07:16:30 am »
When I was traveling this past weekend I stopped by a Gamestop to see if they had some games I was looking for.  If anyone has been in a US GS lately you know they have those cheap game bins in the store, so I went & checked that out.  Strangely, all of the games were Wii games.  So after I looked around a bit more, I asked the girl working there if the cheap PS3 games were just on the wall with the others or what.  She points to 2 boxes of disk-only games in envelopes at the counter and tells me that's them.  I ask her if any of them have cases and she tells me no, they tossed them. 

This is the only store I've seen so far that has tossed any PS3 cases, but I'm sure it won't be the last.  I found 3 in the bin that I wanted & she said they *might* have the cases in the back, but they didn't.  So I left them.  I grudgingly accept cart-only DS games because I waited too long to start collecting for that system and it's virutally impossible for me to find complete games for it in my area.  But for anything else, no case & manual = no buy.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 11:04:09 am »
When I was traveling this past weekend I stopped by a Gamestop to see if they had some games I was looking for.  If anyone has been in a US GS lately you know they have those cheap game bins in the store, so I went & checked that out.  Strangely, all of the games were Wii games.  So after I looked around a bit more, I asked the girl working there if the cheap PS3 games were just on the wall with the others or what.  She points to 2 boxes of disk-only games in envelopes at the counter and tells me that's them.  I ask her if any of them have cases and she tells me no, they tossed them.
This is the only store I've seen so far that has tossed any PS3 cases, but I'm sure it won't be the last.

Most of the GS I've gone to around me have a bargain bin right in the front where there are PS3 and X360 games that are under $10. Some have a dedicated bargain bin for Wii games as well and a couple of them have a tower on the floor that has PS3 and X360 games under $20 too. The thing that pisses me off about this is that whether the game comes in the original case with manual or a generic case with no manual the price is the same!

I'm sure that as this next gen's catalogue grows, they will toss more of previous gen cases out in order to make room. It makes no sense though. They have plenty of wall space where they can arrange the cases like books (where you can read the spine) instead of facing them out. They usually do that on the bottom row but they can add another row and place plenty of games up there. The only games that should be facing out are the newest games on each of the consoles that are still releasing them.

Except for 2 stores, all the GS that I've gone to around here have no cases for PSP or DS games. The carts are in locked glass cases. And it's funny how THEY (corporate) decide which get to stay in cases. The employee yesterday told me that they do save the cases from the more popular titles (like Pokemon) that they believe will sell quick. But, the excuse is the same, they have no room so they just toss cases when they get the trade-ins.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 02:50:55 pm »
I hear they do this to cut down on the footprint these games have on the store. Ever notice how DS/3DS games take up like a square foot of space? That's because they sell them all loose.

Warmsignal

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 07:53:43 pm »
Used to pick these up from my local stores on the regular. I have three to four hundred probably. Most of them are crap games though. Might go out tonight and hit up the dumpsters, it's been a while since I've found any.

Some of my most epic finds were - a Radiant Historia case and manual sitting at the very bottom of the bin, by itself. Also, a Code of Princess limited print box with the soundtrack CD inside, sitting in an empty box by itself.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:55:14 pm by Warmsignal »