Author Topic: burning dreamcast games.  (Read 1582 times)

dreama1

burning dreamcast games.
« on: August 16, 2014, 04:19:47 pm »
What's people's opinion on burnt dreamcast games? Anyone got any? Does it damage the dreamcast laser?
 Is it as good as the real thing?

razorbeamz

Re: burning dreamcast games.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 09:59:32 pm »
They work, and they don't do anything to the Dreamcast. I personally don't like doing it though. A tip though, burn your discs at the slowest speed possible. They usually don't work if you don't do that.
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 11:25:10 pm »
What's people's opinion on burnt dreamcast games? Anyone got any? Does it damage the dreamcast laser?
 Is it as good as the real thing?

Razorbeamz is correct no harm to the Dreamcast. Do yourself a favor. If you haven't already check out the homebrew scene on the dreamcast. It's legit, mostly free, and amazing!

Especially "Beats of Rage" and it's various mods.

doafan

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 01:45:51 pm »
Have used a lot of burned games at my first Dreamcast and the damn console still works fine I did even purchased a second one just to play my original ones but the true is that you can safely play without any fear, just burn the game at the lowest speed 1X and use the Padus DiscJuggler at least this is the one that always used  ;)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

dreama1

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 04:58:54 pm »
Have used a lot of burned games at my first Dreamcast and the damn console still works fine I did even purchased a second one just to play my original ones but the true is that you can safely play without any fear, just burn the game at the lowest speed 1X and use the Padus DiscJuggler at least this is the one that always used  ;)
How long did you use that badboy for? After reading some forums online it's got me paranoid.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 09:32:41 pm »
How long did you use that badboy for? After reading some forums online it's got me paranoid.

The truth is all spinning disc drives have an MTBF. (Mean time before failure). If you use it a lot (burned discs or original) the drive will eventually die. If you use it only a little. It should technically last longer but you'll get less enjoyment out of it.

Enjoy it while you have it. If it dies hit up ebay and get a replacement motor or console.

I still have all my original consoles and the drive are still going. That said I probably haven't pushed them as hard as most.

Some folks game non stop every day of the week (easy to do especially if you have a huge library of burned games). I think the failures people had that they attributed to burned discs were mostly speculation because they were probably playing a burned game when their drive died.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 09:59:39 pm »
Sega/Mega CD also

dreama1

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 04:39:50 am »

The truth is all spinning disc drives have an MTBF. (Mean time before failure). If you use it a lot (burned discs or original) the drive will eventually die. If you use it only a little. It should technically last longer but you'll get less enjoyment out of it.

Enjoy it while you have it. If it dies hit up ebay and get a replacement motor or console.

I still have all my original consoles and the drive are still going. That said I probably haven't pushed them as hard as most.

Some folks game non stop every day of the week (easy to do especially if you have a huge library of burned games). I think the failures people had that they attributed to burned discs were mostly speculation because they were probably playing a burned game when their drive died.
Makes you worry. 50 years down the road it might not be so easy to pick one up.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 12:30:20 pm »

Makes you worry. 50 years down the road it might not be so easy to pick one up.

Hopefully by then there will be clones or emulators that are spot on. For example I have a Colecovision I had to macgyver a new power supply together for (along with other minor motherboard surgery). It works as long as I continue to baby it.

But the colecovision emulator I have on my original xbox and psp is much more reliable and convenient.

Hopefully 50 years from now the Dreacast will be a similar story.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:44:22 pm by dashv »

doafan

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 10:14:31 am »
More than eight years, the mothafucka still plays burned and original games without any problem but as dashv said the less you use it the longer it will works, what it doesn't work anymore is the battery but is not the big deal since only have to put again the DC's date every time that am going to play  :P

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy