Author Topic: Anyone collect sealed video games only?  (Read 3768 times)

Re: Anyone collect sealed video games only?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2014, 04:30:56 am »
I can understand collecting sealed games, especially if multiple copies are your cup of tea.  The ones that collect only sealed games I consider bandwagon bastards.  I count these as the type that has to follow every trend and have the money to throw around.  The reason they collect is simply bragging rights.  I have dealt with two of these guys and they both pretty much view it from the same perspective.  The only thing I heard about from either one was, how many, how much spent, and why we will never be considered "collectors"because we open the games up.  I don't like dealing with these people.

I don't think it should be about how much you spend that makes a collection great, but I do think that the collection should be worth displaying. Imagine if Jay Leno had a garage full of beat up cars or Kevin Smith didn't bag up his comics (ex. missing instructions manuals, no box, scratched discs etc.). I wouldn't say you weren't a collector, but what kind of collection are you shooting for? Sheer volume to me isn't that impressive.

Every hobby is going to cost money. There's no way around it. I personally only know two other people that collect games. They both go for complete copies in good condition. Unfortunately, bragging rights comes with the territory. EVERY collection website I've seen has a form of a way to display your collection along with that "magic number" that shows how many games you have. Don't forget to post your pics of your game room for the world to see either.

I use to collect comics for the cover artwork when I was in elementary school. The inside pages never looked as good, so I lost interest in actually reading them. There may be collectors out there, simply interested in the box art work. "Bandwagon bastards"? Maybe they are, but everybody has a different view on what a collection should consist of. If you're buying games to try to turn a profit or gouge people around the holidays when the latest system comes out, that's pretty sad.

ffxik

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2014, 08:35:51 am »
I can understand collecting sealed games, especially if multiple copies are your cup of tea.  The ones that collect only sealed games I consider bandwagon bastards.  I count these as the type that has to follow every trend and have the money to throw around.  The reason they collect is simply bragging rights.  I have dealt with two of these guys and they both pretty much view it from the same perspective.  The only thing I heard about from either one was, how many, how much spent, and why we will never be considered "collectors"because we open the games up.  I don't like dealing with these people.

I don't think it should be about how much you spend that makes a collection great, but I do think that the collection should be worth displaying. Imagine if Jay Leno had a garage full of beat up cars or Kevin Smith didn't bag up his comics (ex. missing instructions manuals, no box, scratched discs etc.). I wouldn't say you weren't a collector, but what kind of collection are you shooting for? Sheer volume to me isn't that impressive.

Every hobby is going to cost money. There's no way around it. I personally only know two other people that collect games. They both go for complete copies in good condition. Unfortunately, bragging rights comes with the territory. EVERY collection website I've seen has a form of a way to display your collection along with that "magic number" that shows how many games you have. Don't forget to post your pics of your game room for the world to see either.

I use to collect comics for the cover artwork when I was in elementary school. The inside pages never looked as good, so I lost interest in actually reading them. There may be collectors out there, simply interested in the box art work. "Bandwagon bastards"? Maybe they are, but everybody has a different view on what a collection should consist of. If you're buying games to try to turn a profit or gouge people around the holidays when the latest system comes out, that's pretty sad.

I can understand where you're coming from to an extent.  If collecting complete copies was within my budget I would be doing so.  There is however a stark contrast those that want a collection that is complete and those that want it sealed.  Now I will admit it was foolish of me to judge a group of collectors by my run in with just a couple.  For that I admit I was wrong and I do apologize.  As for the two charming individuals I had the pleasure of dealing with in my original post.  I can only hope that one day they come to realize the true value of the blood, sweat, and tears that is just rotting away in the shrink wrap.

On a personal note.  I was an amateur illustrator at one time until the years of doing my 9 to 5er caused a severe case of osteoarthritis in my right wrist.  It's hard to illustrate anything when you can't hold a pencil or nib holder properly.  The point I'm trying to make here is that these developers wanted their games in the peoples hands and being played, not wasting away on a shelf in shrink wrap.

I do realize there are individuals that collect one to play and one to shelve.  I'm not referring to them.
And that last statement you made there I agree with wholeheartedly.

dreama1

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2014, 09:06:46 am »
I can't tell if he has a point or not.
I can clarify if need be.  I tend to ramble at times.  My brain tends to throw things out faster than I can type.  So I can sometimes be disjointed and fairly broken in my posts.  Prime example above I guess.
No I meant that person. "why we will never be considered "collectors"because we open the games up. "

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 09:22:52 am »
just got one sealed game: Scaler [ps2], just keep it because its nice

What kind of game is that; never heard of it?!

Its a game with a blue dragon xd
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 09:24:51 am »

Awwww, c'mon now...you don't need to be *that* specific  :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 04:27:25 pm »

Well its sealed >:( so i'v never played it xD

Awwww, c'mon now...you don't need to be *that* specific  :P

Well its sealed >:( so i'v never played it xD and it will stay sealed for all eternity, until my children will open it some day :(
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

maximo310

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 11:53:59 pm »
I will only keep games sealed if I already have another copy of the game that I can pop in my system at anytime. Otherwise, I just open it up because I rather have fun just playing the game than worrying about its sealed condition and that one of my cats pops it open and ruins it. But to each their own, I guess.

karyann

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2014, 03:50:39 pm »

It sure must be tough being a woman in this hobby. (No sarcasm.)

If I was a woman I don't think I would've had the patience to deal with someone like that. I barely do with people trying to alpha nerd me. :P

It sometimes is. It happens that I get looked down upon, as if a woman couldn't possibly know anything about gaming apart from Tetris, but at least it's not most of the times  :P

mrnikon

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 09:05:47 pm »
I am not into collecting sealed games. If I buy a game I am going to play it.