Author Topic: Reading old gaming magazines  (Read 2846 times)

davifus

Re: Reading old gaming magazines
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 11:39:59 pm »
What are current Retro/modern Magazines you guys would recommend to have a subscription with?
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 10:10:12 am »
I still buy Retro Gamer (U.K.) every month, as well as the occassional issue of EGM. And I have a subscription to the bi-monthly Retro Magazine (U.S.).

How many Retro magazines have you gotten?  I haven't gotten one since issue 3

Same here.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wonder what the hold up is?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 01:03:37 pm »
I don't know, but we better get our full 6 issues. If not, it really wasn't that great of magazine anyways, so I won't feel that big of a loss. I think when my subscription expires I'll replace it with EGM.

maximo310

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 04:47:17 pm »
What are current Retro/modern Magazines you guys would recommend to have a subscription with?
I heard that nintendo force is a great magazine for current nintendo news. It's pretty much picked off where nintendo power stopped about two years ago, its bi- monthly and has alot of content per issue( 60-80 pages i think) and there are both physical and digital versions of the magazine to pick up, along with some good pricing options for single issues/ 6 months/ and yearly subscriptions. They also have gotten a lot of support from Kickstarter to continue the magazine, and I'd reccomend you pick it up while you can!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 04:59:12 pm »
I do it all the time. I seem to be the only one interested in classic magazines on the forum, though.

You are not alone.

I have modest stacks of:

Game Informer
Nintendo Power
Sega Vision
Electronic Gaming Monthly
Game Pro

Each month I "release" a new issue of something for my 11 year old son to paw through. Like a subscription.

He loves it and I get a kick out of going through them again. Especially now that I can easily get my hands on what they'd tease back then as being exclusive to other regions.

Also, I work with Jon the Greedy Gamer a previous Game Informer reviewer.

abe

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 05:01:03 pm »
This thread makes me miss Nintendo Power. :'(
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 05:06:20 pm »
This thread makes me miss Nintendo Power. :'(

Nintendo power was my first experience with getting a cashiers check.

Had to have my Grandma go with me to the grocery store to get one. :)

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 01:12:55 am »
Anyone remember Game Players Nintendo Sega?  Great stuff in the early nineties  :'(

Oh and I also want to back up the other "Retro" subscribers, and say that magazine was a huge let down.  After I get my 6th issue, that's it for me.  The writing of the articles are just Meh lol.... Retro Gamer UK is so much better written.

spac316

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 02:11:13 am »
I have stacks of EGM on my shelves to this day! I still get it to!

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 10:04:56 pm »
Just bought Nintendo Power issue #1 recently to rebuild my old collection.  I read and loved pretty much all of them.  I really miss game players magazine.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 10:14:33 pm »
Just bought Nintendo Power issue #1 recently to rebuild my old collection.  I read and loved pretty much all of them.  I really miss game players magazine.

I liked Game Informer back when the subscription was free from funco. It was the only mag I had regular exposure to at the time that covered TG-16 and Neo Geo games.

Also it was free. :)

R.I.P funco.