Author Topic: retro video game collection  (Read 5599 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: retro video game collection
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2014, 11:45:18 am »
Someday that cart will come down. VC wasn't enough to make it budge, but eventually, people will stop buying at those prices.

Besides, all you have to be is in the right place at the right time, you could find it for a dollar in the wild since it's not rare. I've seen it happen.

If you are theflea it happens everyday. :)

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2014, 11:46:00 am »
@warmsignal

I found mine for $5 at a thrift store almost a year ago. It sucks how many people think this game is so rare when in fact it is not. Uncommon maybe, but when this game received a print run of over 100,000 (so I've heard) that's even a little bit of a stretch.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2014, 11:46:43 am »
If Super Nintendo is any indicator, NES prices will just continue to rise.

One would think NES price spiking would have occurred before Super.

Why is that? The retro-collecting scene has continually gotten more popular thanks to YouTube reviewers and all the pawn shows on T.V.

Well there's a certain percentage of collectors who are more focused on the consoles they grew up, rather than everything. The NES crowd has already relived their nostalgia, and now it's more SNES I assumed, soon to be N64 if not already. There's a reason why 6th and 7th gen are still cheap, and why 2nd gen is now cheap again. Though admittedly, there are some games that have become more like collector's items even within those groups - we're seeing "ultra rare" PS2 games going for $200 - that does have a lot to do with the overall reception of the hobby and the perceived value of it.

^ this

Atari collecting was very hot from about 1998 until 2004 and then it gradually declined until games that were once around $20 were now under $10. Even rare stuff like Sword Quest Waterworld lost half its value from the peak of 2600 collecting to what it i today. Video game collecting will continue to evolve, with systems like the NES and eventually the SNES losing momentum as people trying to relive their childhood grow older and lose interest. At the moment, N64 and especially PS1 are starting to see price spikes because collectors are migrating and people that grew up with these consoles are attaining enough disposable income to start collecting for these consoles. It will evolve again someday into 6th gen games becoming collectable, then to 7th gen, and so on.

Wait, Atari games were hot? Where was I? Atari games have always been the cheapest of the cheap when it comes to video games, for as long as I can remember back into the 80s, even.

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 11:49:03 am »

Why is that? The retro-collecting scene has continually gotten more popular thanks to YouTube reviewers and all the pawn shows on T.V.

Well there's a certain percentage of collectors who are more focused on the consoles they grew up, rather than everything. The NES crowd has already relived their nostalgia, and now it's more SNES I assumed, soon to be N64 if not already. There's a reason why 6th and 7th gen are still cheap, and why 2nd gen is now cheap again. Though admittedly, there are some games that have become more like collector's items even within those groups - we're seeing "ultra rare" PS2 games going for $200 - that does have a lot to do with the overall reception of the hobby and the perceived value of it.

^ this

Atari collecting was very hot from about 1998 until 2004 and then it gradually declined until games that were once around $20 were now under $10. Even rare stuff like Sword Quest Waterworld lost half its value from the peak of 2600 collecting to what it i today. Video game collecting will continue to evolve, with systems like the NES and eventually the SNES losing momentum as people trying to relive their childhood grow older and lose interest. At the moment, N64 and especially PS1 are starting to see price spikes because collectors are migrating and people that grew up with these consoles are attaining enough disposable income to start collecting for these consoles. It will evolve again someday into 6th gen games becoming collectable, then to 7th gen, and so on.

Wait, Atari games were hot? Where was I? Atari games have always been the cheapest of the cheap when it comes to video games, for as long as I can remember back into the 80s, even.

Yes sir. Not at the level NES or SNES is at now, but it was enough for the prices on sought after stuff and rare stuff to get pretty inflated.

davifus

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2014, 11:51:01 am »

^ this

I can't wait till the day when I pick up Earthbound for $20...

"Check Ebay" Earthbound still $150-$200.

Someday that cart will come down. VC wasn't enough to make it budge, but eventually, people will stop buying at those prices.

Besides, all you have to be is in the right place at the right time, you could find it for a dollar in the wild since it's not rare. I've seen it happen.

"I've seen it happen."

Must of been rough... Slippin like that Slippy

"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

Warmsignal

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2014, 11:53:58 am »
@warmsignal

I found mine for $5 at a thrift store almost a year ago. It sucks how many people think this game is so rare when in fact it is not. Uncommon maybe, but when this game received a print run of over 100,000 (so I've heard) that's even a little bit of a stretch.

Yup. That's the reason there are so freaking many of those carts on eBay at any given time, is because people find them like crazy for peanuts and then eBay them for $200.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2014, 11:55:50 am »

^ this

Yes sir. Not at the level NES or SNES is at now, but it was enough for the prices on sought after stuff and rare stuff to get pretty inflated.

Maybe in your area. Over here in California Atari games have ALWAYS been $1 games since the NES days. $1 games that collect dust on the shelves.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2014, 11:56:21 am »
@warmsignal

Yup. That's the reason there are so freaking many of those carts on eBay at any given time, is because people find them like crazy for peanuts and then eBay them for $200.

I removed the cart from my wishlist for exactly this reason. I'll stick with the VC version until I find one for a reasonable price. :)

davifus

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2014, 12:07:32 pm »
@warmsignal

Well If you find one sell it to me like peanuts then.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

Warmsignal

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2014, 12:09:32 pm »
@warmsignal

Well If you find one sell it to me like peanuts then.

Heck yeah, but not until I actually find one for myself first. Then, I'll find you one.

Warmsignal

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2014, 12:11:13 pm »

Maybe in your area. Over here in California Atari games have ALWAYS been $1 games since the NES days. $1 games that collect dust on the shelves.

Really? I pay more than that for them most of the time where I'm at. Guess they're more rrurrr here on the east coast.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 12:16:11 pm by Warmsignal »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2014, 12:12:41 pm »

Really? I pay more than that for them most of the time.

If you ever come through Redding, drop by Video Exchange. That lady has a shelf full behind her register that have been sitting there for well over a decade. Pretty sure I'm the only guy that ever bought from them.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 12:17:24 pm by burningdoom »

Warmsignal

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2014, 12:14:19 pm »

If you ever come through Redding, drop buy Video Exchange. That lady has a shelf full behind her register that have been sitting there for well over a decade. Pretty sure I'm the only guy that ever bought from them.

Forgot to mention I'm on the east coast. 2600 games here are $3 - $4 usually.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2014, 12:16:27 pm »

If you ever come through Redding, drop buy Video Exchange. That lady has a shelf full behind her register that have been sitting there for well over a decade. Pretty sure I'm the only guy that ever bought from them.

The local mom and pop shop gave me a heavy sixer to replace mine that has a broken game select switch. Also gave me a pair of controllers, paddles, and a handful of common games I was missing.

He begged me to take it because it wasn't worth the shelf space it had been occupying.

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2014, 12:27:56 pm »

Combat, Yars Revenge, and Pitfall have always been super common and dirt cheap. However, the uncommon and rare stuff saw significant price increased. In addition to that it was probably a lot easier to find cheap games considering the you didn't have a ton of collectors and resellers with smart phones, or any type of pricecharting-like system, nor was the internet as ubiquitous, especially in the late 90s. And as I said, it wasn't even half as crazy as the NES and SNES is right now, still prices got driven up and they came down after the dust settled.