Author Topic: Pier Solar releases on the 30th of this month  (Read 2564 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Pier Solar releases on the 30th of this month
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 08:15:07 pm »
The Atari 2600 homebrewers release the roms for their games all the time when they go out of print.

And there are at least a thousand times more NES collectors than 2600 collectors, and I bet you that 90% of them can be duped into buying a bootleg cart release of a limited edition game because they don't know better. 2600 collectors, on the other hand, do know better since they're much more niche and a tighter community.

Not to mention it's much cheaper to make NES bootlegs than 2600 bootlegs. Anyone can take a game and slap it on a new, mass-produced NES board. Or if they're hacks, a quick ROM swap and boom, new game for sale. I hate repro hacks and stuff but even I think that these limited edition carts are fine because they don't get pirated to hell and back.

If these guys really wanted to have their games played by everyone then they'd release the roms, true, but they don't, very likely for the reasons I mentioned - and that's their choice.

If the folks making the money on selling the cart for 4X the original price were the original developer I would agree with you.

But my point is the original dev wrote it. Designed the board. Manufactured the cart. Sold it for $50. Then they were done with it.

Some fortunate folks picked it up for $50. Some hoarders bought up a dozen of them and waited for it to go out of print. Occasionally some of those folks sell them for jacked up prices on the internets.

The devs are not receiving any benefit whatsoever from the inflated sales. So money clearly cannot be their motivation in not releasing the roms.

I understand the thinking of those that own a $50 cart that's now worth $200. But it is a double standard they are upholding and the thinking that existence of the roms depreciates the value of the physical carts is provably flat out wrong.

Roms are out there for Crono Trigger, Star Fox 2, Ducktales 2, and Bonk, yet those games still go for $100 or more! In some cases because they are rare. In other cases simply because people are willing to pay those prices.

Release the rom for SMB2j and people will still be willing to pay over $100 for the physical cart.

Thinking it through. I think I know the answer in the case of the Retrozone stuff.

The only thing I can think of is the devs are either afraid of legal action since the repros I mentioned above use graphics and IP from Nintendo. and/or they plan on doing a reprint at some point (unlikely since they use graphics and IP from Nintendo).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:17:56 pm by dashv »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 09:37:36 pm »
The fuck! Why is the Dreamcast version delayed again?! I have never encountered a more frustrating video game release! Maybe I'll get my copy before this decade is over  ::)
straight from the Kickstarter
"physical versions will take a bit longer due the extra tests necessary on the discs since they can't be patched."
so basically anyone buying the digital version could be considered a beta tester...pretty sneaky

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 01:30:06 am »
The fuck! Why is the Dreamcast version delayed again?! I have never encountered a more frustrating video game release! Maybe I'll get my copy before this decade is over  ::)
straight from the Kickstarter
"physical versions will take a bit longer due the extra tests necessary on the discs since they can't be patched."
so basically anyone buying the digital version could be considered a beta tester...pretty sneaky

I was not one of the kickstarter backers so I have never read this. What I'm pissed about is the various delays and info blackouts, or letting the backers know what is going on and leaving everyone else who paid them money afterwards completely out of the loop in terms of what is going on in development. After the late March release date, they did not release any official info on what was going on for over a month if memory serves me correct. That is extremely unprofessional, especially when you have hundreds of thousands of dollars of people's money who have not received what you have promised to give them for their money. So it isn't just this, it has been the whole damn experience that has really left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about canceling my preorder a few times. Watermelon may make great games, but my god their PR and customer service is shit.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 01:56:48 pm »

desocietas

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 02:06:29 pm »
I might pick up one of the Dreamcast versions - we don't have any games for our DC, so it'd be nice to have something!  I wish they pictures of the packaging...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 06:27:19 pm »

I'm glad I dragged my feet on getting the PS3 version. :) The WiiU version should look/sound just as good. But using the touch screen for inventory and the map should be much more intuitive than how inventory is handled in the other versions of the game.

:) The WiiU version looks like the definitive version.

cobraseph

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 06:46:48 pm »
can't wait. my wife was and is crazy about getting it. so it will be a cool surprise  ;D