Author Topic: Timeless games that still hold up today?  (Read 10266 times)

desocietas

Re: Timeless games that still hold up today?
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2014, 04:44:02 pm »
dreama1, I'm not sure if you notice, but most of us are trying to move on past the debate :)

We're enjoying the topic, so let us keep adding to it :D
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2014, 04:48:37 pm »
This is going to get down to name calling in 3...2...1...

We get it, one of you likes Atari and one doesn't.  Holy shit.  I think Sonic sucks ass.  Someone jump on me and stop this stupid arguing.  We all like different stuff. We all consider different things "timeless".  Let's move on.

davifus

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2014, 05:11:01 pm »

We get it, one of you likes Atari and one doesn't.  Holy shit.  I think Sonic sucks ass.  Someone jump on me and stop this stupid arguing.  We all like different stuff. We all consider different things "timeless".  Let's move on.

I know right? Who likes Dankey Kang anyway
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

desocietas

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2014, 05:48:43 pm »

lololol that's hilarious. i prefer spoderman anyway
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2014, 05:50:15 pm »

Merio is so overrated

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2014, 06:44:20 pm »
Personally, I think some older versions are better than the new. I prefer 2600's original Space Invaders to the actual arcade game. See the thing is that some early versions of games, although technically inferior are still eminently playable. I have Space Invaders Extreme 2 on the DS and although a good game, still isn't as good as the 2600 version IMO.
There are arcade perfect ports of Centipede and Millipede but I'll still play the 2600 versions because they're fun. Dare I say "timeless"? But that's my opinion as it's not exactly "modernish" and it's clear to me that it can't be timeless unless it's the best version out there.

Glad I got rid of that old VHS tape of the original theatrical cut of Star Wars A New Hope and kept the newest George Lucas directors cut because Greedo shooting first is so much better. I mean it must be right? It's the newest version and by definition - newest is superior. Glad I stumbled onto that fantastic logic today. I can throw out all those old classic rock records too because One Direction is the latest and greatest.

davifus

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2014, 07:03:30 pm »

Glad I got rid of that old VHS tape of the original theatrical cut of Star Wars A New Hope and kept the newest George Lucas directors cut because Greedo shooting first is so much better. I mean it must be right? It's the newest version and by definition - newest is superior. Glad I stumbled onto that fantastic logic today. I can throw out all those old classic rock records too because One Direction is the latest and greatest.

Or...

"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

Bwigdahl

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2014, 07:42:52 pm »
As someone who really doesn't go much older than the NES (which can even be a bit too archaic for me at times) I can appreciate those older generations and there are some games on the 2600 I've played that I thoroughly enjoy.  Hell if I remember their names but I played a space shooter at a friend's house that was done from the cockpit perspective with some REALLY early 3D stuff that had I been a youngster back in 1982 with Star Wars being just out, if I would've had that game BACK THEN I probably would've shit my pants, changed my pants and shit them again. And hell it still played great when I popped it in in 2014. To me that's timeless. Atari had shit games that don't hold up, sure, but so did [insert every console ever]

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2014, 07:45:17 pm »
Timeless and fun vary from person to person.  There are no wrong answers in this thread... other than:
Superman 64

The Guy Game

and

I agree with whoever said E.T.

You gentlemen are completely wrong.   :D

No Big Rigs love?

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2014, 08:18:07 pm »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2014, 11:49:46 pm »

Oh no you didn't mother <}%]€!

Sonic is a classic for your information

<insert 4 page tirade here>

Next you're going to tell us you like kicking puppies.

PUPPIES!

:)

I do have a NES era entry I think we missed:

Has anyone mentioned Ducktales?

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2014, 12:34:23 am »
Wow, this thread went really sour... really fast.
E.T for the win.
Speaking of E.T..

I just got the good old atari working the other day and actually played e.t. .finally got that CRT to cable connector .. So it's a direct connect to the TV it's great.

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2014, 12:42:38 am »

Merio is so overrated

I know who Dankey Kang's best friends are...

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2014, 02:51:11 pm »

Oh no you didn't mother <}%]€!

Sonic is a classic for your information

<insert 4 page tirade here>

Next you're going to tell us you like kicking puppies.

PUPPIES!

:)

I do have a NES era entry I think we missed:

Has anyone mentioned Ducktales?

Am I the only one that immediately hears the theme song in their head as soon as DuckTales is mentioned?

dreama1

« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2014, 03:48:32 pm »
Personally, I think some older versions are better than the new. I prefer 2600's original Space Invaders to the actual arcade game. See the thing is that some early versions of games, although technically inferior are still eminently playable. I have Space Invaders Extreme 2 on the DS and although a good game, still isn't as good as the 2600 version IMO.
There are arcade perfect ports of Centipede and Millipede but I'll still play the 2600 versions because they're fun. Dare I say "timeless"? But that's my opinion as it's not exactly "modernish" and it's clear to me that it can't be timeless unless it's the best version out there.

Yes you proved 2+2=5 in flying colors.  ??? Maybe at the next science conference someone can say I don't know GOD did it IT'S SUBJECTIVE! And it'll be considered a valid pejorative. Super man 64 the best game evarr it must be right? I'm totally not stuck in a time bubble. No one can make a constructive argument against me because incase it hurts my feelings, and I must attack him in a tribal manner! The inhumanity!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 03:52:52 pm by dreama1 »