Author Topic: PSN Cover Images  (Read 2002 times)

krelyan

PRO Supporter

PSN Cover Images
« on: October 05, 2014, 11:11:30 am »
I had 2 images rejected for the PSN (PSP) category (Yggdra Union and Persona 2: IS) and was wondering what the standard was for digital releases such as these where technically no cover image exists.  I had submitted the images that are used on the PSN store, which are cropped versions of the physical PSP covers.  I assumed this is why they were rejected?  Is it preferable to just use the physical release covers for digital titles?

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

foxhack

Re: PSN Cover Images
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 02:54:22 pm »
... nobody knows.

There's two or three different kinds of cover artwork: The one available at Playstation.com, the one available at the PSN Store website, and the one available at the PSN store through the console itself (which apparently is used within the console too.) These are usually COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM EACH OTHER.

I tend to use the PSN Store website artwork, but others use the other artwork. What we are sure of is to never, ever use the retail box artwork (the full box scans) under any circumstances, because people will get confused and add the PSN versions to their collections by mistake.

Could you tell me what artwork you used?

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 11:44:24 pm »
I used the images found here (Yggdra Union / Persona 2: Innocent Sin).  They are rather unsightly cropped images of the physical game release (which are the images Playstation.com uses).  I was just trying to get a consistent size for the games in the PSN (PSP) category as most of them tended to be the square-shape-size images found on PSN.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 12:20:24 am »
I used the images found here (Yggdra Union / Persona 2: Innocent Sin).  They are rather unsightly cropped images of the physical game release (which are the images Playstation.com uses).  I was just trying to get a consistent size for the games in the PSN (PSP) category as most of them tended to be the square-shape-size images found on PSN.

See what I mean? They're HIDEOUS! Hell I would've rejected them too if I'd seen them pop up in the queue!

Now compare those to Hexyz Force. That's the kind of image I like to use. There were some sites that archived these images, but since they also contained less than legal info... they were usually shut down. :(

I really don't know what else to say here. I wish the games had some consistency between them.

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 09:25:24 am »
See what I mean? They're HIDEOUS! Hell I would've rejected them too if I'd seen them pop up in the queue!

Now compare those to Hexyz Force. That's the kind of image I like to use. There were some sites that archived these images, but since they also contained less than legal info... they were usually shut down. :(

I really don't know what else to say here. I wish the games had some consistency between them.

Sure, I agree they weren't very attractive, I was just looking to see if there was a standard or not :).  I'll have to figure out how to access the image files on PSN store via PS3 instead.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 11:47:45 am »
I would figure that the "correct" images to use for digital games is to use the images that the store fronts have on their sites.

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 01:39:56 pm »
It's not super duper clear from this http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.msg159.html#msg159 (though I did just skim it right now), but what I got from it was that we're supposed to use the image that they use on the store's site, whether it be eShop, PSN, etc.

We try to do that for eShop, but folks will submit whatever they want when they create the record, it seems.  Edits of the artwork seems to be the shop artwork, even if it is hideous (often the case)  :'(

ALSO: wow, i just saw those PSN images for that P2:IS - that's AWFUL.  Sheesh, PSN...

ALSO #2: PSN UK's image is waaaaay better   :-\  https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/games/persona-2-innocent-sin/cid=EP4015-ULES01557_00-GPCPERSONA000001
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:45:37 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 06:04:32 pm »
I tried to upload some "official" covers...
Actualy it's the Trophy icon, it's the most OFFICIAL picture for cover...
Still rejected...

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 06:08:34 pm »
... I didn't see those. >:|

argyle

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 03:21:26 pm »
I get the "people will get confused" argument, but in my mind most people are confused most of the time regardless. :P I still say use the official retail artwork for digital versions of retail games, because it's the only way you can guarantee any level of consistency and quality.

I know this suggestion is frowned upon, but I'm gonna keep bringing it up whenever this topic is brought up anyway. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis