Author Topic: Do you have games that don't consider a part of your collection?  (Read 3778 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Do you have games that don't consider a part of your collection?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 01:37:52 pm »
If I paid for it, or fully own it, it's a part of my collection.

The only stuff I don't consider are demos and temporary titles like PSN freebies on the PS3, PS4, and Vita.  Once that subscription is gone, so are those games, so they are not part of my collection.

This is me.

I count everything except controllers and digital downloads I got from PS+.

I do count demos if I have the physical disc.

Main reason I do it is because I can't stand having duplicates.

The only exception to this is a Mario/Duck Hunt I have a spare of for when I need to test NES systems I've fixed or modded.

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 07:13:54 am »
Digital games; if there's no physical object then it doesn't count for me. (Same for music albums, if i don't have the CD then i don't own the album)

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 10:55:05 am »
If I paid for it, or fully own it, it's a part of my collection.

The only stuff I don't consider are demos and temporary titles like PSN freebies on the PS3, PS4, and Vita.  Once that subscription is gone, so are those games, so they are not part of my collection.

This is me.

I count everything except controllers and digital downloads I got from PS+.

Main reason I do it is because I can't stand having duplicates.

The only exception to this is a Mario/Duck Hunt I have a spare of for when I need to test NES systems I've fixed or modded.

I have a lot of duplicates--especially on the Atari 2600 and Genesis.  And I typically count them.  Especially on the 2600 since so many games released in a couple different labels or styles.

karyann

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 10:57:59 am »
I don't count my PC games (I think I actually have 3 listed here and I don't know why I do), physical or not. Any game that I own and that I know I won't keep (like doubles) I also don't count. I list my virtual games here on Vgcollect, but I don't consider them a part of my collection in terms of numbers. I have a spreadsheet separate from here which I use to list strictly physical games, so that I can know how many I own.

I love to own lots of merchandise but I also don't count them, even though I consider them to be part of the collection.  :)

argyle

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 11:17:09 am »

I was actually thinking this weekend about requesting a Demos section be added under each console that it's relevant for. I'd like to add mine since I have a pretty nice collection - especially of PS2 demos - but I don't want them to artificially inflate my game count.

Any game that I own and that I know I won't keep (like doubles) I also don't count.

I love to own lots of merchandise but I also don't count them, even though I consider them to be part of the collection.  :)

Yeah, I don't count things I acquire specifically to trade or sell either - seems pointless. And I also don't catalog my swag, mainly because it would be a huge pain in the neck, but I definitely consider it part of my collection.

EDIT: OK, I'm an idiot - there are demo categories under systems that it's applicable for.  :-[ :P
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:31:18 am by argyle »
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 11:48:48 am »
I'd have to say PC games too.  I have about 100 pc games with about 40 big box games with floppies.  I buy them whenever I find them cheap and complete but I never have any intention on getting a computer that will be able to play these games.  Maybe someday but for now its just because I find them interesting  :P

Bwigdahl

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 05:06:09 pm »
I catalog pretty much everything I buy and I'd say I count it in my collection as a whole... However, I have recently started removing sports games from my visible collection. All of my PS2 and *most* of my X360 sports titles have been moved to my giant media storage book. The reasoning for this is mostly because I don't have the shelf space and when I get more room I may put them back up. Or maybe just dedicate a part of my wall for sports titles, not quite sure yet. Right now all the boxes/manuals for the games are in a drawer underneath my TV.

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 08:43:27 pm »
I only track the games that are physical copies and complete as part of my collection. I also don't list duplicates, strategy guides, consoles, controllers etc.

I still can't bring myself to download music, movies or games (unless no physical copy is offered).

maximo310

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 11:02:56 pm »

I still can't bring myself to download music, movies or games (unless no physical copy is offered).
I try to get physical stuff or everything in preference of: games, music, books, and movies. For books, I sometimes hate the pricing of physical books for the amount of content they have, and also hate how the library adds false fines when I return books, so I feel like I'm forced to go digital to seek out certain books, unless its worth buying such as a cool art book.

argyle

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 08:59:47 am »
I only track the games that are physical copies and complete as part of my collection. I also don't list duplicates, strategy guides, consoles, controllers etc.

I still prefer physical CDs for my favorite artists, tho those seem to be dwindling these days. Everything else I'm fine with MP3s since that's what's going to get used anyway. I agree on games & movies, I don't buy digital on either of those unless there's no choice.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 01:17:08 pm »

Same here. I liked to own and have control of my own stuff. I like to know I have the right to copy it, lend it, trade it, or sell it whenever I like. And I like to have a collection to stare at and show off; and who doesn't like artwork and manuals. Not to mention, when it comes to music, CD quality music is much better than MP3s which are compressed.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 04:14:51 pm »
I have a few games sitting in my basement not even with the rest of my collection that aren't on here. They're games that I borrowed from a friend and never returned as we grew apart afterwards, I honestly just don't know what to do with them at this point; I don't believe they are rightfully mine but also I don't want to get rid of them.

davifus

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 04:26:11 pm »
I have a few games sitting in my basement not even with the rest of my collection that aren't on here. They're games that I borrowed from a friend and never returned as we grew apart afterwards, I honestly just don't know what to do with them at this point; I don't believe they are rightfully mine but also I don't want to get rid of them.

The morally right thing to do is ask your friend If he/she still wants them and go from there. Maybe your friendship might bloom again.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

cobraseph

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 05:19:42 pm »

The morally right thing to do is ask your friend If he/she still wants them and go from there. Maybe your friendship might bloom again.

agree 100% it feels weird to own something from someone who is not your friend anymore. especially if that item bring back memories. the only times i add stuff that originally belonged to my friends is when they come at me and say stuff like.. Hey seph remember that game you lend me.. i lost it bro. then i say back.. Then i lost yours bud  ;D not guilt or remorse lolz.