Author Topic: Letting go of Rare games even though they suck  (Read 1035 times)

retromangia

PRO Supporter

Letting go of Rare games even though they suck
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:52:23 pm »
Hey folks,

Anyone else have a hard time letting go of really rare games?  Some of them suck stanky baby diaper, but the collector in me knows that If I let it go, I'll probably never get it back for the awesome price I paid for it ;).  Anyone else feel me on this?

- Retro

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Letting go of Rare games even though they suck
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:20:26 pm »
Hey folks,

Anyone else have a hard time letting go of really rare games?  Some of them suck stanky baby diaper, but the collector in me knows that If I let it go, I'll probably never get it back for the awesome price I paid for it ;).  Anyone else feel me on this?

- Retro

I don't have any really bad really rare games. :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 11:35:18 pm »
No problem at all for me. That means I can sell it, and use that money to get games I'll actually play.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 11:41:58 pm »
I don't know what I would do without my copy of Action 52 D:

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 12:54:53 am »
The number 1 criteria for whether I want to add a game to my collection or not is if it looks fun. I intend on playing and enjoying (hopefully) every game in my collection someday. While some of these games do fall into the rare category, that is not my primary motive for keeping them. If a game sucks, but happens to be collectable it really means nothing to me; I have no desire, ever to own Action 52, Cheetahmen 2, Stadium Events, or any other rare game that is known for being complete garbage. Even games that I collect thinking they'll be good and when I actually play them and don't like them, i have no problem selling them. The most famous example of this is Earthbound. Did not like it so I sold it, can't say I miss having it either.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 01:19:33 am »
Very good answers from everyone... When I pick up a game, I have 100% intention on playing it. For those rare games that suck,  I keep on telling myself I'll eventually grow to like a game, I just need to give it more time lol. I guess that's how i justify keeping shitty rare games.

Take for instance.. Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner for PSP.  I've tried so hard to get into that game (or every RPG for that matter), but It just doesn't keep my attention.  It's pretty damn rare and nerdy, so I just can't part with it!  ;D

Warmsignal

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 02:12:40 am »
Well, I never intend to sell away any of my games, rare or not. Crap or not. I've got some crappy games, some that I don't even count as not part of my collection and still won't sell them. I have a silly philosophy I figure I will stick with - "money comes and goes, but games do not." There's no real money in selling games, especially bad games, for those of us who aren't store owners. So there isn't any (realistic) amount of money that can entice me to sell.

Also because I am weird, I develop sentimental attachment to things.  :-\

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 07:01:56 am »
Hey man your not weird!... i'm pretty sure everyone single one of us on this website hold sentimental value to their games as well. Hell, I even keep little things from old girlfriends... even the crazy ones  ;D.