Author Topic: The best cancelled video games?  (Read 4132 times)

maximo310

Re: The best cancelled video games?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2014, 05:45:52 pm »
What about any of the Satellaview games such as BS ZELDA?
They were actual releases in Japan, thanks to the program that let you download game data onto the rewriteable data cartidge. There have also been modifications done to let you play BS Zelda or other games with or without the time limit in the bsnes emulator, along with translations. If you mean the international release for the Satellaview then I don't think they would have done the Satellaview exapansion internationally, considering the lack of network infrastructure necessary as well as costs to create and upkeep, as well as market shift by late 1995 to the new 32 bit consoles, and the 16 bit market was in a huge decline moreso compared to Japan since the Super Famicom was still popular over there.
I know that but there was never a physical release of the games are very rarely did people back them up making them unplayable and lost forever! This is the reason why I consider them canceled.
Well like I said, they aren't "canceled" because people have managed to recover the lost data and use it on the emulator, as well as the fact that the data can be transfered over to an actual cartridge and be used on a physical console if the necessary mofications are made. You can play these games today on cartidge format, just don't expect the full BS-X interface cartidge out since I believe that needs transmission of data to download content.
For the actual Satelliview repro carts :   http://www.shopflashbackgames.com/bs-zelda-maps-1-2-p-328.html

pacpix

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 06:08:52 pm »
They were actual releases in Japan, thanks to the program that let you download game data onto the rewriteable data cartidge. There have also been modifications done to let you play BS Zelda or other games with or without the time limit in the bsnes emulator, along with translations. If you mean the international release for the Satellaview then I don't think they would have done the Satellaview exapansion internationally, considering the lack of network infrastructure necessary as well as costs to create and upkeep, as well as market shift by late 1995 to the new 32 bit consoles, and the 16 bit market was in a huge decline moreso compared to Japan since the Super Famicom was still popular over there.
I know that but there was never a physical release of the games are very rarely did people back them up making them unplayable and lost forever! This is the reason why I consider them canceled.
Well like I said, they aren't "canceled" because people have managed to recover the lost data and use it on the emulator, as well as the fact that the data can be transfered over to an actual cartridge and be used on a physical console if the necessary mofications are made. You can play these games today on cartidge format, just don't expect the full BS-X interface cartidge out since I believe that needs transmission of data to download content.
For the actual Satelliview repro carts :   http://www.shopflashbackgames.com/bs-zelda-maps-1-2-p-328.html
If it was released by Nintendo and has the word Zelda in the name, never assume that it has been lost.
I have actually been setting aside money for an BS Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets cart for a few months and will finally have enough money to purchase a copy next week  :D Plan on getting BS Zelda Maps 1 and 2 cart after that
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

maximo310

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 06:40:17 pm »
Well like I said, they aren't "canceled" because people have managed to recover the lost data and use it on the emulator, as well as the fact that the data can be transfered over to an actual cartridge and be used on a physical console if the necessary modfications are made. You can play these games today on cartidge format, just don't expect the full BS-X interface cartidge out since I believe that needs transmission of data to download content.
If it was released by Nintendo and has the word Zelda in the name, never assume that it has been lost.
I have actually been setting aside money for an BS Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets cart for a few months and will finally have enough money to purchase a copy next week  :D Plan on getting BS Zelda Maps 1 and 2 cart after that
They're both pretty fun to play through, even though they don't add much compared to their original counterparts. I still think the system of breaking up the game into "episodes" is pretty cool, especially since they used professional voice actors for both narration and character voices for ingame as well as story sequences. No one has managed to recover those sound files at all yet, but if they ever do, then I think that would totally improve the whole playing experience!