Author Topic: Ingrained Gaming Habits  (Read 1973 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Ingrained Gaming Habits
« on: November 06, 2014, 01:18:09 pm »

To all the longtime gamers: Do you still have ingrained habits from your childhood? Habits that do you know good in modern games?

I find myself doing these things all the time. Such as hording supplies and power-ups until I get to a boss. Back in the day, that was necessary. Games were freaking hard. But nowadays, they all hold your hand. So instead of using the strategy as intended, I end up just seeing a whole lot less special moves/powers than other people.

Another one that I just can't get past is holding down the button right next to your jump button. I have that ingrained in me from Super Mario Bros. on NES. You had to hold down the "B" button in order to run. And I ran EVERYWHERE in that game.

How about you guys? Anything like that for you?

koemo1

PRO Supporter

Re: Ingrained Gaming Habits
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 01:32:03 pm »
Yeah, i rush through levels because i always think there is a timelimit ^^
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:11:57 pm »
Reloading a weapon at the worst possible time in an online game.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 02:17:11 pm »
Reloading a weapon at the worst possible time in an online game.

lol, yes. I do that too.

"I only have 24 rounds left in my 25 round clip, MUST RELOAD NOW!"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:34:16 pm »
I got it in my head when I was young that I had to pick up everything.  I didn't want to be wasteful.  I thought the game would think I didn't need that health, so it would quit giving it to me.  So, I picked up everything whether I needed it or not. 

To this day, I can't leave a health laying.  A good example is in Metroid when you stand over those spawning holes for those beetle looking things.  I shoot and shoot trying to get my missiles or health full.  Even if I don't need what's dropped, I have to pick it up.   

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 03:02:09 pm »
Killing every enemy on the screen. That's works against me if a game decides for the enemies to have constant respawns , like those stupid birds in Ninja Gaiden.

retroone

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 05:41:13 pm »
I tend to collect any and all items. Mustn't leave that one coin behind!

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 06:16:36 pm »
I tend to collect any and all items. Mustn't leave that one coin behind!
I also got that problem, always thinking "Hhmmm i might need that later"
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

sin2beta

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 06:47:40 pm »
Never using brakes in racing games.

Oh, and in football games, nothing but hail mary plays.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 06:48:03 pm »
I can't think of any off the top of my head that I still do, but I did have a friend that would rock back and forth while playing FPS and fighting games. It was almost a tactic since it was so distracting lol

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 08:54:14 pm »
Killing every enemy on the screen. That's works against me if a game decides for the enemies to have constant respawns , like those stupid birds in Ninja Gaiden.
I imagine the Dynasty Warriors game being an annoyance if you do that

karyann

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 09:45:09 pm »
I got it in my head when I was young that I had to pick up everything.  I didn't want to be wasteful.  I thought the game would think I didn't need that health, so it would quit giving it to me.  So, I picked up everything whether I needed it or not. 

To this day, I can't leave a health laying.  A good example is in Metroid when you stand over those spawning holes for those beetle looking things.  I shoot and shoot trying to get my missiles or health full.  Even if I don't need what's dropped, I have to pick it up.

I'm still that way even though I know that's useless. I'm just unable to refrain myself from picking everything up before it disappears...  :o

Also, in turn-based games, holding down the A button when I attack / holding down B when I defend. I don't know why, but I've had that habit since forever, I think it started with Pokémon. A is for "yes" and B is for "cancel", so obviously A makes your attack stronger and B negates the opponents' moves, right?!  :-X

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 09:53:32 pm »

I'm still that way even though I know that's useless. I'm just unable to refrain myself from picking everything up before it disappears...  :o

Also, in turn-based games, holding down the A button when I attack / holding down B when I defend. I don't know why, but I've had that habit since forever, I think it started with Pokémon. A is for "yes" and B is for "cancel", so obviously A makes your attack stronger and B negates the opponents' moves, right?!  :-X

Speaking of Pokemon, pressing A while the pokeball is shaking to increase the chance of a capture.

davifus

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 11:21:14 pm »

Speaking of Pokemon, pressing A while the pokeball is shaking to increase the chance of a capture.

Actually that only worked in Gen 1

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Catch_rate
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 12:16:04 am »
For games like Fallout, collect everything! And never ever use the rarer/cool stuff......

Or take off auto save and have fun, and not save it.

Also store it all in one location. For example, you own a house(skyrim) and separate everything and organize it all. Which is strange because my room is normally messy haha.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730