Author Topic: Top 10 Favorite Albums  (Read 3964 times)

woahsweetgreyphix

Re: Top 10 Favorite Albums
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 08:23:43 pm »
Considering I was born in '93, I have some older tastes haha. Oh well!  :P
My list:

1. Spiritual State - Nujabes, 2011

2. Something/Anything? - Todd Rundgren, 1972

3. Somewhere (Live in Lucerne, 2009) - Gary Peacock Trio, 2013

4. The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner - Ben Folds Five, 1999

5. (The White Album) - The Beatles, 1968

6. Chicago III - Chicago, 1971

7. The Latin Side of Vince Guaraldi - Vince Guaraldi Trio, 1964

8. Boston - Boston, 1976

9. (E)vening - Mae, 2011

10. Modern Art - Art Pepper Quartet, 1956

soera

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 10:52:26 am »
Oh, lets see if I can add to this. Btw, no specific order cause I honestly cant place them in one.

N2Deep - Back to the hotel
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Disturbed - any of them
Sponge - Rotting Pinata
Cranberries - No need to argue
Celine Dion - any of them
Metallica - Black
Pantera - Decade of Domination
Breaking Benjamin - any of them (one month baby til the new one finally!)
Tool - Aenima or 10000 days (a new one for them this year too possibly)

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 08:31:17 pm »
the beatles - the white album
radiohead - in rainbows
led zeppelin - I II III IV
tom waits - closing time
oasis - masterplan
bob marley - rastaman vibrations
daft punk - discovery
nirvana - in utero
offspring - smash
at the drive in - relationship of command

some just missed out -
bjork - debut
rage against the machine - battle for los angeles
guns n roses - appetite for destruction
the kooks - inside in/inside out
arctic monkeys - whatever people say i am, thats what im not
miles davis - jack johnson sessions.
skunk anansie - stoosh.

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 08:36:53 pm »
NOOOOO!

i forgot off the wall Micheal jackson

this is hard

soera

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 12:10:55 am »
Im going to add something here that I was thinking about today thinking of this list and thats my top 10 favorite genre albums.

90s Alternative rock will always be the top of the food chain for me music wise. The 90s is the greatest decade this world has ever experienced and the music was part of it. In no order --

Green Day - Dookie
Sponge - Rotting Pinata
Pearl Jam - Ten
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Cranberries - No need to argue
Nine inch nails - Pretty hate machine
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
Live - Throwing Copper
Soundgarden - Super unknown
Weezer - Weezer

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 08:43:22 pm »
red hot chili peppers - californication

Warmsignal

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 01:19:38 am »
In no order...

The Autumn Effect by 10 Years - It is probably best alternative rock album I've ever heard. It's very melodic and pretty, very poetic, but has a subtle heaviness to it. Very cohesive album, great flow, some excellent interludes, so many epic songs that make you think and wonder. I find it very inspirational and soothing to listen to. Unfortunately the band has never really been able to come close to this again, for whatever reason.

Hysterics by Rolo Tomassi - This album is bat-crap crazy and I love it. It is an extremely noisy blend of progressiveness and mathcore (think Dillinger Escape Plan meets Pink Floyd, throw in some jazz and some Castlevania sounding keyboard). I don't know how to describe it, but it's crazy and so very catchy and fun to listen to. They have a great female vocalist who sounds almost like something you'd hear in black metal. It's definitely some of the whackiest music I've heard that I actually find enjoyable. Though all of their albums are like this, Hysterics is the most bizarre sounding to me. For most it's gonna be love or hate. I love it.

Nuclear. Sad. Nuclear. by The Number Twelve Looks Like You - It's an album that only TNTLLU would make. They have a very unique take on the progressive hardcore genre. This one was a little less refined that their later stuff, but it's such a fun listen. If ADHD could be an album, this is it. It's a crazy blend of so much odd and unexpected stuff coming at you, it never gets old. Though the vocalist kind of sounds like SpongeBob when screaming, I still enjoy it.

Desperate Living by Horse The Band - A great progressive post-hardcore album with lots of 80s and Nintendo inspired keys. Very fun to listen to, kind of on the bizarre side of things. The songs kind of go everywhere, but still have a good sense of progression and an epic-ness to them. My friend once described it as sounding like "every part of the song is the climax", and I kind of agree.

Daisy by Brand New - Just a very raw, and frustrated sounding rock album. It has a haunting and mysterious air about it. It's an album that is very simple, but it's also very powerful.

Feathergun by Rishloo - A really creative and unique modern take on old fashion progressive rock. The guy has quite a vocal range, and the music is whimsical and refreshing. There definitely needs to be more albums like this being made nowadays.

Oracular Spectacular by MGMT - Probably my favorite pop album. Just catchy and fun, but also very subtle, clever, and a bit bizarre. There are so many different sounds going on with this album, and they're always done extremely well for a duo that were only just debuting at the time. Makes a great album to listen to when driving.

Catch Without Arms by Dredg - This album was a perfectly blend of old Dredg meets new Dredg. Just a lot of really catchy and unique sounding songs on here, songs that only Dredg would write. Although many prefer El Cielo, this is the album that always stood out to me as definitive of the band.

The Always Open Mouth by Fear Before The March of Flames - A very cynical and downtrodden album, but also very catchy and bizarre. The songs take huge leaps from one verse to the next, and the album as a whole is nearly impossible to peg as one genre, but rooted in progressive rock and hardcore.

I Have Made My Bed In Darkness by Exotic Animal Petting Zoo - It's another one of those albums that is difficult to define. In a way it's kind of like Dillinger Escape Plan mixed with Radiohead? Parts of it are chaotic and noisy, others are very quiet and ambient, and some of it finds that middle ground. Again, mostly long, progressive songs but very rewarding and unique.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:45:33 am by Warmsignal »

ffxik

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 12:06:13 am »
I always go into these lists half-cocked thinking, "it'll be easy".  It's never easy.  So I'll list the 10 I have been currently groovin to.  I can't do an all time 10 since I shuffle them out all the time

10 Versus the World - Amon Amarth, 2002
09 Kings Among Men - Crimson Shadows, 2014
08 Everything Remains (As it Never Was) - Eluveitie, 2010
07 Ocean Blade - Gloryful, 2014
06 Defying the Rules - Hibria, 2005
05 A Taste of Extreme Divinity - Hypocrisy, 2009
04 Fear of the Dark - Iron Maiden, 1992
03 Dragonheart - Messiah's Kiss, 2007
02 Easton Hope - Orden Ogan, 2010
01 Coat of Arms - Sabaton, 2010

argyle

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 08:42:47 pm »
I have somewhat eclectic taste in music. While there is a lot more that I enjoy, all of these albums have become staples for me.

10. Hysteria - Def Leppard
      While this one is probably the most sentimental entry on the list, it's still one I listen to quite often and is really just a classic. Favorite track - Hysteria.
  9. Fantasies - Metric
      A fantastic alt-pop band that I stumbled across several years back, and this album instantly went into my regular rotation. Favorite track - Gimme Sympathy
  8. Portishead - Portishead
      Very atmospheric music, perfect for just laying low at home. Favorite track - Over
  7. Swoon - Silversun Pickups
      These guys have always reminded me of the early years of The Smashing Pumpkins - and that's not a bad thing! I love pretty much all of their stuff, but if I had to pick one album this would be it.
      Favorite track - Substitution
  6. Nihil - KMFDM
      One of the groups that helped introduce me to industrial rock long ago - it was a hard choice between this album & Angst. Favorite track - Brute
  5. Homogenic - Bjork
      I don't know what happened to Bjork. Maybe after putting out so many awesome albums in a row she just lost her touch? Regardless, Homogenic is at the top of a very impressive collection of
      her albums for me (the others being Debut, Post and Vespertine). Favorite track - Unravel
  4. With Teeth - Nine Inch Nails
      Speaking of industrial rock, here's the king. I came VERY close to picking The Fragile like Jahuty did, but in the end I think With Teeth is a slightly tighter album. Favorite track - Sunspots
  3. Wonder What's Next? - Chevelle
      I just love these guys. When I'm in the mood for some straight-up rock, this is where I go. Favorite track - Comfortable Liar
  2. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - The Smashing Pumpkins
      This album was monumental for me. I still remember the day I bought it & the circumstances around it. It's such a wide range of styles that somehow all fits together to make one coherent whole.
      I love the Pumpkins, and this double-album is their all-time best work IMO. Favorite track - In the Arms of Sleep
  1. Room Service - Roxette
      I adore Roxette. The epitome of pop music. REAL pop music, that's actually written, performed & sung by the band. Per Gessle writes songs that are perfectly in tune with my sensibilities. If I ever
      had to be stranded with the music of just one artist, there would be zero hesitation for me - I've been listening to them for close to 30 years now and they haven't gotten old yet, so I doubt they
      ever will. Picking one album is like Sophie's Choice for me, and if you ask me again tomorrow I may tell you a different one. But for now I'll say this is it. Favorite track - Milk and Toast and Honey
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Warmsignal

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 12:25:50 pm »
  7. Swoon - Silversun Pickups
      These guys have always reminded me of the early years of The Smashing Pumpkins - and that's not a bad thing! I love pretty much all of their stuff, but if I had to pick one album this would be it.
      Favorite track - Substitution

3. Wonder What's Next? - Chevelle
      I just love these guys. When I'm in the mood for some straight-up rock, this is where I go. Favorite track - Comfortable Liar

Have to concur with these two, they'd for sure be in my top 20.  :D

pizzasafari

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 08:33:39 am »
Oh god, this is brutal. I'm going to have to guess a rough order but it'd maybe be something like this:

1.  Epsilon - Blood Stain Child (2011)
2.  The Scattering of Ashes - Into Eternity (2006)
3.  Wolves - Deadlock (2007)
4.  Divine Revolution - Dominia (2006)
5. The Human Paradox - Season of Ghosts (2014)
6.  No Border Between Us Repackage - Genki Rockets (2012)
7.  Holographic Universe - Scar Symmetry (2008)
8.  Antares - Sybreed (2007)
9.  Comalies - Lacuna Coil (2002)
10. Lyudi Invalidi - Tatu (2005)

I'm not really confident with a single part of that list but it's a rough idea.
A lot of artists I like I just like as a whole rather than liking specific albums which doesn't help. I don't really like to order my favourites when it comes to music but the list compelled me to.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 08:40:38 am by LeJason »