Author Topic: Ps2 problem  (Read 1055 times)

Ps2 problem
« on: November 21, 2014, 03:41:21 am »
I started my ps2 and the dual shock worked fine. I go to play crash 2 and the controller doesn't work. Then I try Castlevania sotn and nothing (both ps1 games) then I try evil dead for ps2 and it works. Is this weird or do I just need a dual shock 1 to play ps1 games?

argyle

Re: Ps2 problem
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 07:10:17 am »
I started my ps2 and the dual shock worked fine. I go to play crash 2 and the controller doesn't work. Then I try Castlevania sotn and nothing (both ps1 games) then I try evil dead for ps2 and it works. Is this weird or do I just need a dual shock 1 to play ps1 games?

Did you try turning the analog sticks off & using the d-pad? I'm not sure that those games support the sticks (remember, the original PS1 controllers didn't have analog sticks). 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 10:25:44 am »
Weird. I've never had any problems with PS1 games and Dualshock2's. But then i don't have Crash 2 or Castlevania, perhaps it's something specific to those titles. Or your model of PS2.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 11:42:26 am »
It's the slim model and I turned the analog on and off and no button works, would I need an original controller?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:58:14 am »
It's rare, but some games really do require either the PS2 or the PS1 controller. I found on one of the Mega Man collections for PS2 that my PS1 controller would not work on it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 12:36:42 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 02:12:23 pm »
I think the only real difference between the Dualshock 1 and Dualshock 2 is that the DS2 has pressure sensitive buttons, and the DS1 doesn't. I've never personally experienced it, but I've heard it can cause incompatibility in certain games when using each controller for the other system.

Try pushing turning off analog before the game starts up. It might help the game "read" the controller correctly.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 02:16:00 pm by zenimus »

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 06:35:58 am »
I remember now that "Colony Wars Vengeance" does have a slight issue with the controller (it not working on the menus after bootup) but this is easily resolved by turning the analogue off and then on again. The analogue sticks can then be used for gameplay.
But this is such an easy fix that i'm sure you would have already tried it with the aforementioned games.