Author Topic: PS3/X360/Wii Cool Imports List  (Read 3832 times)

maximo310

PS3/X360/Wii Cool Imports List
« on: November 07, 2014, 07:42:58 pm »
I decided to create this thread because it was mentioned that a separate list should be created for some imports. I'll start off with some.
PS3: ( Easiest console for imports, only games locked are Persona 4 Arena, and Way of the Samurai 3 for Slim models')
Aquanaut's Holiday- Hidden Memories- Sub Adventure game that has a Hong Kong version with English/Chinese text options. Rare and expensive.
Tales of Vesperia-  JRPG that is like the Xbox 360 version but with new content, and wasn't released internationally.( Apparently Japanese version also has English text as well.)
Okami- Action game that is like the PS2 and Wii versions, but in HD, and also has a Hong Kong Version with English text options.
Initial D Extreme Stage- arcade Racing game based off the manga. Gameplay is similiar to Inital D Arcade Stage 4.
Ketsui - Cool shmup with a military setting. This version is region-free compared to the X360 version, and the limited edition comes with a superplay Blu-Ray, and a 2CD soundtrack.
X360: ( Somewhat good for importing, make sure you check what games are region-free since even different editions of the same game could have different region allowness; may need a Japanese 360 to enjoy some of the better imports)
Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets Double Pack- Two Cave shooters in one package, with MMP being the better of the two games. Limited print run and pretty expensive.
Monster Hunter Frontier Online- Cool online spinoff of the Monster Hunter series.
DodonPachi Resurrection(Daifakkastu)- Another Cave shooter that can be gotten for pretty cheap, and there is a English version released in Europe for imports.
Espgaluda II/Mushimimesama Futari/Dodonpachi Saidaioujou- More Cave shooters that can be gotten at cheap prices for the regular editions. Espgaluda's II's Limited Edition is region-locked, while the LE and SLE of Saidaioujou are very expensive, because of the goodies contained inside.
Eschatos- Above average shmup thats region free and cheap.
Virtual On Cyber Troopers Force- Fighting game with mechs, and is the only port of the game from the original Sega Hikaru release. The regular edition is pretty cheap, but getting the memorial box LE and the Twin Sticks controller will be extremely expensive.

Update: Wii import suggestions can be added as well. I'll make some other import lists in the future for most generations of consoles.
Wii: (Hardest to import because of built in region lock into the console, you need to do softmoding on your Wii, or pick up a Japanese Wii(this is necessary for Dragon Quest X!)
Milestone Shooting Collection 2- Same as Ultimate Shooting Collection, but added Radirgy Noa Massive and Illvelo to the collection( Illvelo has its own Japanese release as well). Also available on the X360 as Sakura Flamingo Archives.
Captain Rainbow- Action-adventure game that apparently was going to get a translated European release, but was canceled and remained in Japan. Apparently sold terribly as well.
Monster Hunter G- Updated port of the PS2 release as an expansion to the original Monster Hunter.
Taiko no Tatsujin- Rhythm game that can be played with wii remote, classic controller, or the drum perihperal.
Tales of Graces- JRPG in the Tales series. The updated version got a international release on the PS3, but the original version is a Japan exclusive.
Fatal Frame 4- Awesome survival horror game.
428- A really good visual novel game, and also on the PS3, PSP, iOS, and Android in Japan.
Also to note is the Virtual Console library for the Wii in Japan has a much greater selection of games to pick than other regions.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:53:50 am by maximo310 »

abe

Re: PS3/X360 Cool Imports List
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 09:56:02 pm »
I like this thread! :D Though it would be nice if we threw some more consoles into the topic.
I haven't had a chance to play (or buy :-[) all of these yet, but this is a list of a few games that seemed to be worth importing to me.

PS3
-Biohazard HD Remaster - We're getting this Resident Evil remake of a remake, but no physical edition for North America. The asian region version will have English language options for subtitles.
-Caladrius Blaze - Japanese shmup
-Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax - A fighting game featuring characters from many of Dengeki Bunko's popular series and franchises. This one hasn't actually released in Japan yet, but I have a feeling we might not see this. It's pretty import friendly since it's a fighting game.
-Gal*Gun - A really weird fan-servicey on-rails shooter
-Gundam Breaker as well as Gundam Breaker 2 - Two cool games for fans of the Gundam franchise
-J-Stars Victory VS - A fighting game featuring characters from many of Shounen Jump's popular manga series.
-Sengoku Basara HD Collection - We've gotten the 1st & 3rd games in the series, but we never got the HD collection for the PS3. The games play similarly to the Dynasty Warriors series.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:09:40 am by abe »
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

Re: PS3/X360/Wii Cool Imports List
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 11:05:49 pm »
Got Captain Rainbow a while back. I love the character/graphic design but the game really isn't that great. Easy to see why it was a flop. A neat oddity however.

argyle

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 05:06:07 am »
Here are a few I either have or am looking for - many of these had digital-only releases in the US:

PS3:
  • Agarest: Generations of War (Record of Agarest War in the US) - UK import - Only the 360 got a physical release of this one in the US
  • Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires - UK import - Digital only in US
  • Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 - UK import - For some reason only the 360 got a physical release in the US
  • Gundam Warriors: Reborn - UK import - Digital only in US
  • One Piece: Pirate Warriors - Treasure Edition - UK import - Digital only in US, and as a bonus this version contains all of the released DLC
  • One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 - UK import - Also digital only in US
  • Siren: New Translation - Asian import, in English - Digital only in US

Wii:
  • Another Code: R - UK import - Never released in the US, sequel to Trace Memory on the DS
  • Disaster: Day of Crisis - UK import - Never released in US, I don't know a lot about it but I hear it's good
  • Project Zero 2 (Fatal Frame 2) - UK import - Never released in the US, supposed to be the definitive version of the game

As you can probably tell, I'm a fan of Dynasty Warriors & its spin-offs. I'm slowly working on a collection of all of the games in the series, and I want physical copies. Speaking of collecting, when I was putting together my PS3 RPGs list it bothered me that the first Agarest game was digital only over here on the PS3. And being somewhat anal (aren't all of us here? :P) I decided if I was going to import the first one to get a physical copy then I was just going to import all 3 because of the different name of the series between the US & UK. The UK imports are about the same price as the games cost over here anyway - heck, I even got the CE of the 3rd one already for barely more than the normal version runs here.

Might also be good to note some general importing info in the OP. Such as for the PS3, pretty much 99.9% of the games have no region lock on them. For the Wii, you have to do a soft mod to your console (a mod that doesn't require you to open the system & do anything to the hardware itself). It's fairly straight-forward, but there are some considerations to make there. I haven't imported for the 360, but my understanding is it's about 60%-40% in favor of games that are not region locked.  You just have to check closer to make sure what you're buying will work.

So what are some good import sites? The only places I have personal experience with are Amazon, Play-Asia and of course eBay. I know someone here really liked AmiAmi, but I wasn't able to find any of the games I was looking for there. :-\ We have any UK folks that might not mind helping some of us out for cost + shipping, or maybe a trade for some US stuff that isn't available there?
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 06:55:55 am »
So what are some good import sites? The only places I have personal experience with are Amazon, Play-Asia and of course eBay. I know someone here really liked AmiAmi, but I wasn't able to find any of the games I was looking for there. :-\ We have any UK folks that might not mind helping some of us out for cost + shipping, or maybe a trade for some US stuff that isn't available there?

The only importing sites I've used before are Play-Asia and AmiAmi, but I've heard good things from people about Nin-Nin-Game and CDJapan. I'll link them below.

http://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 01:59:33 pm »
Here's some other sites to use:
http://solarisjapan.com/-     One of my favorite sites for purchases, and has some of the best prices for certain imports( helped me get a DDP Saidaioujou SLE for cheap)!
http://ncsx.com/- They can be good for certain imports, just check the prices beforehand.
http://www.ecrater.com/- only good for importing cd's/game prices can be way too high
http://www.yesasia.com/us/en/home.html- They are ok, but not as good as playsasia.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/In-English/b?ie=UTF8&node=1094656- Can have some good prices, but be careful as many sellers don't ship to the U.S. or other countries besides Japan.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:00:08 pm by maximo310 »

haloofthesun

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 01:09:31 am »
The HD Resident Evil Remake is getting a physical release in Asia, for, as far as I can tell, PS3 only (odd there's no PS4 version too but no big deal). There's a regular and collector's edition version that has English voice-overs and English subtitles.

I don't particularly like Play-Asia, but this is the only link I have off-hand: http://www.play-asia.com/resident-evil-hd-remaster-english-japanese-collectors-package-paOS-13-49-en-70-84pb.html
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:14:35 am by haloofthesun »

maximo310

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 12:06:09 am »
I decided to create a Google Sheets doc so I can put everyone's suggestions in one doc for future reference for anyone who is interested in purchasing import games and /or want to contribute new games to the sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1arD0FX7xaMtN9ZNlOTf6U1mcC5rp_tdkXA16tEPztuM/edit?usp=sharing

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 12:43:45 am »
I decided to create this thread because it was mentioned that a separate list should be created for some imports. I'll start off with some.
PS3: ( Easiest console for imports, only games locked are Persona 4 Arena, and Way of the Samurai 3 for Slim models')

Okami- Action game that is like the PS2 and Wii versions, but in HD, and also has a Hong Kong Version with English text options.

Note the Japanese version of Okami Zekkei-ban has English text when installed on a US PS3.  You don't have to seek out the Asia/HK version.  But even though it is a physical disk, you have to install the whole 7+GB game in order to play (and also have the disk in)

maximo310

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 12:54:27 am »

Note the Japanese version of Okami Zekkei-ban has English text when installed on a US PS3.  You don't have to seek out the Asia/HK version.  But even though it is a physical disk, you have to install the whole 7+GB game in order to play (and also have the disk in)
Thanks man. I did not know that before, but I'll add it to the game entry.

argyle

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 08:23:05 am »
A friend of mine on another board picked up E.X. Troopers last week (Lost Planet spin-off) for the PS3 & loves it. There's no English option but apparently it's very easy to pick up & play. It's also pretty cheap for an import, Amazon has it for around $16 (sold by third parties but fulfilled by Amazon).

http://www.amazon.com/E-X-Troopers-Japan-Playstation-3/dp/B008KYKJAY/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1416835104&sr=1-1&keywords=ex+troopers
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

dreama1

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 05:09:39 pm »
A friend of mine on another board picked up E.X. Troopers last week (Lost Planet spin-off) for the PS3 & loves it. There's no English option but apparently it's very easy to pick up & play. It's also pretty cheap for an import, Amazon has it for around $16 (sold by third parties but fulfilled by Amazon).

http://www.amazon.com/E-X-Troopers-Japan-Playstation-3/dp/B008KYKJAY/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1416835104&sr=1-1&keywords=ex+troopers
This looks nice.