Author Topic: Overrated and Underrated Video Game Youtube Channels  (Read 17804 times)

foxhack

Re: Overrated and Underrated Video Game Youtube Channels
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 12:17:24 pm »
JonTron is... special.

He can be funny but he does things to games that make me want to punch him. Like dipping systems and games in water. JUST WHY DO YOU DO THAT YOU ARGH

retroone

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2014, 01:24:21 pm »
JonTron is... special.

He can be funny but he does things to games that make me want to punch him. Like dipping systems and games in water. JUST WHY DO YOU DO THAT YOU ARGH
Shows like JonTron and Caddicarus seem as if they take forever to edit. Their production for thier show is INSANE. By the way Caddicarus is another one we should add to this imaginary list of underrated channels!

Bwigdahl

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2014, 10:44:26 pm »
I used to like AlphaOmegaSin until I realized that most of his videos are him complaining about stuff that everybody already complains about everywhere else on the internet.  :-\

I absolutely hate that guy. Just a bunch of curse filled rants with no real substance. I don't see the popularity AT ALL. I don't think I've ever actually finished one of his videos since he can't seem to come up with adjectives that don't appear on George Carlin's 7 words list. He's like AVGN without an ounce of charm.

I actually really like AlphaOmegaSin! I've been watching his videos since before he hit 10k subs and I've always enjoys his perspective as well as his delivery on most issues. He seems like a really cool guy too, and his rants, while a dime a dozen on youtube, are entertaining because of his unique delivery style of the issues. I attribute his channels success to this, definitely keeps me subscribing to him.

Another channel I need to throw in my overrated channel category is JonTronn. My issue with him is similar to my issues with Pro Jared; I just find him incredibly obnoxious and annoying. While this is not his fault, he ale remind me of a friend my brother had when we were growing up (who also happened to really like games and his name was Jon) who was the most obnoxious, dishonest, and douschy gamer I've ever known. So yeah, a little transference going on there, but it's part of why I can't stand his channel.

And some really interesting perspectives on here. We're obviously not going to all agree on what is overrated and underrated, but the purpose of this thread was to get people's thoughts and feelings regarding many of the youtube channels we've watched. I definitely watch a lot more channels on youtube, but the other ones I feel are not overrated or underrated, but just right.

*looks at my avatar* obviously  :P

I mostly watch people who are more focused on humor than actual "review" type channels. Jontron (whom I will admit IS obnoxious and I can easily see how people would be turned off by him, but there's just something in his humor that fucking gets me. few people have made me crack up as hard as him at times), Game Grumps and Achievement Hunter are the 3 channels I never miss any episodes of.

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 04:59:28 pm »
Overated- Markiplier, Angry Video Game Nerd (Cinemassacre), Metal Jesus Rocks

Underated- Alpha Omega Sin, Leafyishere

soera

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 05:51:26 pm »
Overrated - Youtube

Underrated - Actually playing a game yourself instead of listening to some fucktards opinion on it or watching them play it.

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 06:38:58 pm »
looks like this was a really old thread that got revived..

SNES drunk is easily my favorite. I don't particularly like or dislike any single Youtube reviewer (i just look for certain titles and watch whoever did a video on it), EXCEPT for SNES drunk. I watch most of his videos because they are just cool videos, and hes not a traditional REVIEWER.. a lot of his videos are more "did you know" and "is this worth playing today?" and several neat lists that others don't even hit on like english-friendly SFC games, etc...  SNES drunk is my one and only YouTube subscription

as a disclaimer, it also helps that I tend to agree with/like most of what he suggests
Nintendo Network: sloan011

Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 09:59:34 pm »
I'd actually like to add another channel to the Underrated category:

GGGMANLIVES: Most of the games the guy reviews are FPS games. He especially has love for the classics which was why I ended up subbing to his channel in the first place. His smooth as silk Australian accent helps too :p

kashell

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2016, 08:17:22 am »
Overrated - Youtube

Underrated - Actually playing a game yourself instead of listening to some fucktards opinion on it or watching them play it.

Ravish me, you underrated dreamboat.

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2016, 10:15:11 am »
Overrated:

PewDiePie.  Do I need to say anything else?
Markiplier.  And I say this as someone who kinda likes him.  I find him utterly charming when he guests on other shows, but his main channel can get annoying.
AlphaOmegaSin. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way.
MetalJesusRocks.  Seems like a cool dude, but he can be a bit boring.

Right where they should be:
Game Grumps
Cinemassacre (AVGN)

Underrated:
The Completionist.  Dude knows his stuff, and the videos are generally entertaining.
PeanutButterGamer.  I find him hilarious.
PressHearttoContinue.  Dodger seemed poised to become a huge YT star, then it just sort of poofed.
TheWarpZone.  I just wish they put out more content.

sworddude

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2016, 01:17:50 pm »
Overrated - Youtube

Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2016, 03:42:11 pm »
Overrated - Youtube

Review shows like GameSack and Classic Game Room are very informative for collectors. I've discovered so many great games through them that I might never have known about otherwise.

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2016, 03:43:49 pm »
Craigslist game finds are an underrated channel

sworddude

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2016, 04:43:37 pm »
Overrated - Youtube

Review shows like GameSack and Classic Game Room are very informative for collectors. I've discovered so many great games through them that I might never have known about otherwise.

I have way to many games that still need a playthrough and still allot of games coming in. I don't think I need a gaming channel to see wich games are excellent. I might come across some games eventually in lots and see if it is interesting.

Maybe for Japanese imports or homebrews but to be honest I don't have a high interest in those.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

tripredacus

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2016, 06:42:30 pm »
GradeAUnderA https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7iJPVTBGX6DNO1RNI2Fcg

GradeAUnderA doesn't count. His channel on Youtube is not gaming related.

For the most part with Youtube, I can't say that I have a 100% favorite channel where I can just go watch all the videos. If the subject matter doesn't interest me, then the Youtuber's personality and voice need to make up for that. Those types of people I can watch a video and become interested by what they are covering. Channels like that, for me, are in the far minority on Youtube for me. Same goes for Twitch. It is only a couple of streamers that I can watch anything that they are playing.

For example, Cinemassacre I only like to watch the AVGN videos or the ones where James is candid like the movie room tour or making of videos. The Board James or Mike plays whatever are not interesting to me. LazyGameReviews I can say his channel is in the 80% range. Game Chasers I only like the actual episodes. Sega-16, just Melf's pickup videos. The other channels where I pick and choose are ones that I don't subscribe to. I watch enough video game videos on Youtube that it will suggest the other big channels enough on its own. Like CUPodcast, Pewdiepie, etc.

There are some other channels that I don't really even watch their videos at all or maybe have seen just a couple ever. Channels like JonTron, Metal Jesus Rocks, Markiplier, etc.