Author Topic: Games you like, but not really because of the "GAME" part...  (Read 1384 times)

Games you like, but not really because of the "GAME" part...
« on: December 03, 2014, 01:31:34 am »
In this online world of Youtube and Twitch, I'm sure a lot of us have watched videos of games, or just watched friends play games, or had different reasons for liking something, even if you didn't like playing or even wanting to play the game. 

One game in particular I like, but never want to ever play, is Five Nights at Freddy's.  I think it's a terrible game.  Like the core gameplay aspect makes no sense and is really cheap in it's difficulty and has a real artificial challenge to it that takes away from the actual setting, but I love kinda everything around it.  Making animatronics into terrifying monsters, the background and lore of the games and just how much people try to figure out the history of things is really interesting, and for the first watch or two of the actual gameplay, it can be kinda funny to watch people get freaked out if they aren't overplaying the scare.  I will not play this game, but I want to see them continue releasing games and building on the weird freaky idea this one guy has lol

You could like a game purely on style or because of one character, or because of the story, but this is about stuff you just don't want or like playing, though there's still something you really enjoy about the particular game.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 05:39:26 am by kamikazekeeg »

Re: Games you like, but not really because of the "GAME" part...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 09:33:02 am »
For me it's the Starfox series. Aesthetically I love everything about the games. Music, visuals, character and ship designs. -I just think the games are dull or simplistic, especially compared to Rogue Squadron, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, or other free-flight games.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:36:00 am by badATchaos »

abe

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 09:54:50 am »
The Hyperdimension Neptunia series and its spinoffs. The core gameplay isn't anything special (it's even a bit flawed), but I'm really playing it for the story, characters, and all the parodies and references to other games, anime, etc.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

blipcs76

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:58:04 am »
One game in particular I like, but never want to ever play, is Five Nights at Freddy's.  I think it's a terrible game.  Like the core gameplay aspect makes no sense and is really cheap in it's difficulty and has a real artificial challenge to it that takes away from the actual setting, but I love kinda everything around it.  Making animatronics into terrifying monsters, the background and lore of the games and just how much people try to figure out the history of things is really interesting, and for the first watch or two of the actual gameplay, it can be kinda funny to watch people get freaked out if they aren't overplaying the scare.

We watched Markiplier play through both games and I feel the same way.  Love watching it, but would probably never play it myself.  But if you're into the lore of Freddy's, you have to check this out if you haven't seen it already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th_LYe97ZVc - Game Theory: Five Nights at Freddy's SCARIEST Monster is You!

thekosmickollector

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 02:00:30 pm »
I guess I'd say it's Metal Gear for me. For one reason or another I've just never been able to get into the gameplay, but the characters and settings and all really appeal to me. The only MG game I've played for long periods of time and really enjoyed is Rising *braces for backlash*. Seriously though, it's likely down to the fact that I'm not the most skilled of gamers, so a big dumb hack n' slash set in the Metal Gear universe is something I love :P

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 08:43:21 pm »
I'm gonna go with the obvious and say the first Drakengard. HORRIBLE repetitive gameplay, oftentimes nonsensical story, and you're playing as a child-killing psychopath who may or may not want to sleep with a dragon. Terrible game, but I just have to appreciate how bizarre it can get. The soundtrack is one of my favorites, though. If nothing else, it did lead to Nier, which has its obvious flaws but is still a damn good game in its own right imo.

Going to say Metal Gear too, though that could just be because I suck at any stealth game that isn't Siren. Snake Eater is one of my favorite games, and yet I've never managed to beat it on my own. It's pathetic. Rising looks a little bit more like something on my level.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 10:03:55 pm »
One game in particular I like, but never want to ever play, is Five Nights at Freddy's.  I think it's a terrible game.  Like the core gameplay aspect makes no sense and is really cheap in it's difficulty and has a real artificial challenge to it that takes away from the actual setting, but I love kinda everything around it.  Making animatronics into terrifying monsters, the background and lore of the games and just how much people try to figure out the history of things is really interesting, and for the first watch or two of the actual gameplay, it can be kinda funny to watch people get freaked out if they aren't overplaying the scare.

We watched Markiplier play through both games and I feel the same way.  Love watching it, but would probably never play it myself.  But if you're into the lore of Freddy's, you have to check this out if you haven't seen it already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th_LYe97ZVc - Game Theory: Five Nights at Freddy's SCARIEST Monster is You!

Yeah Game Theory's video was pretty great.  It's interesting watching people trying to create their own theories, probably more than even the designer came up with.  I feel like with the sequel, it kinda knocks out the idea that you are the killer in some sort of personal hell and things get rather confusing in the sequel, but makes for something still pretty interesting.

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 01:20:13 pm »
Nier.

I have no idea what the game's about and will probably never play it 'cause you know me and consoles... but the music is awesome.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 01:02:52 am »
^ Did you happen to read The Dark Id's screenshot LP of Nier? It's very in-depth and often funny, though he does make several references to his earlier Drakengard LP since Nier is technically its sequel, so you'll probably want to read that one first. Not trying to pressure you into liking the game or anything. It's one of my favorites, but I know it has its issues and isn't for everyone. Can agree that the soundtrack is jawdroppingly beautiful, though.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.