Author Topic: The SupaBoy Handheld  (Read 2493 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

The SupaBoy Handheld
« on: December 22, 2014, 04:38:11 pm »
What's the consensus on this bad-boy?

I love the idea of a handheld SNES. But I also know that clone-systems have a tendency of being very cheaply slapped together, and often has emulation issues.

Is this one worth getting?

maximo310

Re: The SupaBoy Handheld
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 04:55:13 pm »
 I got a chance to try this from one of my friends who owned one. Personally, it seems ok, but the d-pad and how some of the buttons just seemed terrible to me. Region-free was a plus and the games seemed to play fine for the most part. I've heard that some games stop worked or can have their save files erased for no reason which is not good at all. I would only get it if you can get it for cheap or want to play games on the go; an original SNES with the simple plastic cartidge slot mod gets the job done better in my opinion.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 05:14:13 pm »
As much as I love the retron 5 you want to go Retro-Bit for portable gaming.

Specifically the Retro Duo Portable V2.0.

It plays SNES and NES out of the box. Every game in my collection works with it with the exception of Battletoads (the repelling level crashes). But that's easily skipped with a game genie.

NES music is it's kryptonite. Most of the time it's fine but some games (Kirby's Adventure) sound pretty sad.

It comes with an adapter to plug into your TV and an adapter that let's you use 2 SNES game pads.

You can get a RetroGen adapter for $30 that adds genesis support.

The Super Game Boy works with it.

And retro-bit sells another adapter that provides Game Boy Advance support.

The battery lasts for about 6 hours and is replaceable.

The controls are awesome, responsive, and precise.

The LCD is backlit. Has different intensity levels and looks really good compared to other portables.

The RDP v2 is my second favorite clone system. :)

But you don't have to take my word for it:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/05/hardware_review_retro_duo_portable_v20
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 05:18:21 pm by dashv »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 03:16:03 am »
You probably already saw but I went ahead and posted an in-depth review on the RPD here:

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,5708.0.html

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 01:25:02 pm »
My 2 cents, it works ok if you don't play games that emphasize on diagonal movement, the D-pad is terrible and wonky, and half the time I found myself fighting the D-pad in most games, for instance I had probs going up the stairs in Super Castlevania IV because the D-pad was so horrible.

My opinion, the Retro Duo Portable is a more bang for your buck, has a brighter screen, and includes a adapter where you can also play NES games, I have had no issues with that one since I picked it up, and the D-pad just works a lot better then the Supaboy.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 01:53:03 pm »
Thanks guys. I didn't even know about the Retro-Duo Portable. That sounds like a better option.

retroone

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 04:17:18 pm »
I'm with dashv on this one. The Retro Duo Portable seems to be the way to go. Here's an interesting video by Game Sack if it helps.

Warmsignal

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 05:39:48 pm »
I saw one of these for sale on Craigslist. I really don't know much about it. But I just have to say, I hate that name.  :-X What's next? The Turba GrafX? Are these things made in Brooklyn or something?

riogho

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 03:12:02 pm »

I love the idea of a handheld SNES. But I also know that clone-systems have a tendency of being very cheaply slapped together, and often has emulation issues.

Anyone who likes it is a shill. If you want to play SNES on the go just get a PSP

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 03:48:59 pm »

Anyone who likes it is a shill. If you want to play SNES on the go just get a PSP

I don't do emulators and ROMs. I collect games.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 05:04:03 pm »

I don't do emulators and ROMs. I collect games.
Then like I said the Retroduo Portable is the best way to go to play all your classic SNES games.