Author Topic: Playing PAL PS1 games in US  (Read 1291 times)

sweatycowch

Playing PAL PS1 games in US
« on: May 12, 2015, 09:10:09 pm »
Greetings,

I've been trying to find information about playing European PS1 games in the US. Google only wants show me results for people asking about playing them on ps3.

I've learned PS1 and PS2 are uber region locked requiring a modded console AND a boot disc; or a console from the desired region. I assume that both of these options require a PAL TV, which I don't own.

So maybe I've answered my own question. Just wondering if there is another option I've missed.

Thanks in advance for any help

P.S.
The entire reason I'm looking into this is Resident Evil Survivor. Guncon support was stripped from this game for the U.S. release. I want to play this game as intended; and preferably not waste a pay check trying to do so.

sweatycowch

Re: Playing PAL PS1 games in US
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 02:27:21 pm »
I did some more digging on my own and I found a boot disc called PS X CHANGE 2. Here is a video of it in action, https://youtu.be/OWAiF3ooTGo

PS2 is a whole other can of worms. Everyone recommends whatever method they use but none of them are as easy as the PS X Change. Mod chips, MCBoot on modded memory cards, MCBoot on PS2 Fat hard drives, or just buying the console for the region you want along with a multiformat tv. The choice is yours.

Re: Playing PAL PS1 games in US
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 02:16:01 pm »
You can either use Freemcboot on your ps2 , get action replay for your ps1 or put CFW on your PS3 or make iso's out of your discs and play with with an emulator.
I personally got a PS3 with CFW that I only use to play Imported  PS1 Backups ( Games from Japan & USA )
You don't need a PAL tv in order to make your games work :)

So your options are
* Emulate
* PS3 With CFW ( put iso on HDD and use Multiman)
* Freemcboot with ps2
* PS1 Chipped or Action Replay

I recently bought Biohazard 3 and wanted to play it on my PS1 ( that is chipped)
but I could not boot up the game so I needed to use action replay but cba to use it all the time ( it's a code you need in order to make the game work)
So I used magic iso and booted it up on my PS3 With CFW :)

I hope this answers some of your options/questions