Author Topic: My Personal Opinion: After 14 years & 3 consoles, I hate Xbox  (Read 11871 times)

psydswipe

Re: My Personal Opinion: After 14 years & 3 consoles, I hate Xbox
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 07:11:27 am »
I'm fine with Xbox and Xbox 360 but the Xbox One can burn in a..... err never mind. My main problem with Microsoft is that they take something people love and destroy it. Rare Ware comes to mind. I'm not alone on saying this but probably the best game company ever only to be bought out by Microsoft and never to make a good game again. I'm afraid that Minecraft and Mojang will suffer the same fate. Also the Xbox reputation is ruined. To most parents the name "Xbox" gets commonly associated with 360 No Scopes and Doritos. Overall it leaves a bad tastes in my mouth.

Although they have messed up developers, such as Ensemble and FASA, I think in the case of Rare the top talent simply left the company shortly after being purchased. Before they purchased Mojang, I was thinking they weren't going to bother buying developers any longer since it hadn't been working out well. It appeared as if they preferred buying timed exclusives instead. The Tomb Raider deal is one that I believe was good for all parties involved because despite sales, Square Enix still never came across as confident in the future of the series. Microsoft's money could go a long way in making that game better than it might have been and it will likely be on all platforms eventually.

I don't hate on any company but I did have some issues with the original Xbox after a few years and my 360 did get the red ring. They replaced the 360 quite quickly though and it's been fine for the past five years. Obviously Microsoft screwed up in the making of that console and many have broken, though I will add quite a few PlayStation 3s have broken as well. It's unfortunate that consoles break so often these days. I know they are much more advanced than in the past so I shouldn't compare them to cartridge-based systems, however, I will say that all of my Sega platforms still work fine  :D The only older platform that doesn't work correctly is my original Game Boy, that screen is messed up and even had some problems back when it was still relatively new.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 01:07:32 pm »
I've owned (briefly, very briefly) an XB and a 360.

I don't "hate" them, nor do I think that those who enjoy them & prefer them are all fools for doing so.

I wouldn't consider myself a Sony Pony -but- through the generations, I've always strongly *preferred* Sony's consoles.

Why?

Part of it's sticking with + going with what you know.  After a decade(?) of absence from any gaming...I decided that I wanted to get back into it again.  At this time - that left me with the choice of getting a PS2 or an XB.  I didn't know shit about either one.  It was the holiday season, and - nobody had either one in stock; so, I decided to just get whichever one I found 1st (a PS2).

Like riding a bike - after a day or 2 of gaming - it was feeling like I'd never stopped.  My favorite genre has always been (insert whatever prefix/descriptor/country, etc that you like here ___:) RPG's.

As I played & learned - I found that Sony's consoles seemed to get (either exclusively or multi plat) the vast majority of these.

And it was good

I've also (and it could just be because I'd used it 1st & was used to it) always liked the PS' controllers a lot better.

Years later - after having lost my (non-dominant) hand, and spending enough time to make a fair evaluation & comparison - trying to use both the PS3 & the 360's controllers 1-handed...I again found that, for me, Sony's controller was much more comfortable, better sized, shaped, and laid-out for my one-handed gaming.

Who knows?

Would my thoughts & preferences have been any different, had I found an XB before a PS2?

Possibly.

But, in all honesty, I expect that it wouldn't have taken me very long to realize that MS' consoles constantly received far less of the games + kinds of games that *I* wanted to play.

That /=/ one being better/worse than the other, though - it's actually just about following & sticking w/ the *console* (regardless of the company logo on it:) that gets the higher # of games you want to play on it; simple math  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

devancowan

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 09:43:34 pm »
To add to my previous post, I still have a vita which gives me my fix for the RPG section  :)

kashell

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 08:52:06 am »
I was never a fan of the Xbox. Their games might have been shinier, but the quality of titles was lacking for a person like myself that plays RPGs. Also, playing something like Soul Calibur II was a pain due to the controller being the size of a whopper. Nowadays, the only thing good about any form of Xbox is that Tales of Vesperia was released on one of them. It figures that the PlayStation 3 would get the superior version of it.

You mean Jrpgs right>?

I'm not sure what you're saying. The PS3 does have a better selection of RPGs, that's for sure.

gf78

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 09:40:05 am »
I was never a fan of the Xbox. Their games might have been shinier, but the quality of titles was lacking for a person like myself that plays RPGs. Also, playing something like Soul Calibur II was a pain due to the controller being the size of a whopper. Nowadays, the only thing good about any form of Xbox is that Tales of Vesperia was released on one of them. It figures that the PlayStation 3 would get the superior version of it.

You mean Jrpgs right>?

I'm not sure what you're saying. The PS3 does have a better selection of RPGs, that's for sure.

They were talking about PS2/Xbox.  While Xbox had the Knights of the Old Republic games and Jade Empire which were fantastic, the PS2 absolutely blew the Xbox out of the water in the RPG department both East & West. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 11:01:59 am »

You mean Jrpgs right>?

They were talking about PS2/Xbox.  While Xbox had the Knights of the Old Republic games and Jade Empire which were fantastic, the PS2 absolutely blew the Xbox out of the water in the RPG department both East & West.

JRPGs, absolutely PS2 is better. Action-RPGs, nope, not a contest. Morrowind alone puts Xbox over in that department, and then there's a whole other string of games (see my list in my post on the first page of this thread).

gf78

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 03:23:01 pm »

Uhm...You do realize that Both Dark Alliance games, Demon Stone, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends 1 & 2 were all on the PS2 as well, right?  And I'm not taking personal taste into account, but Azurik was panned by like, everyone?

So exclusive-wise, you are left with:
-Arx Fatalis
-Azurik
-Dungeons & Dragon: Heroes
-Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
-Fable
-Jade Empire
-Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2

I think PS2 pretty much crushed Xbox in the RPG department.  But again, that's just my personal opinion.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 05:41:39 pm »

Uhm...You do realize that Both Dark Alliance games, Demon Stone, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends 1 & 2 were all on the PS2 as well, right?  And I'm not taking personal taste into account, but Azurik was panned by like, everyone?

-Arx Fatalis
-Azurik
-Fable
-Jade Empire

I think PS2 pretty much crushed Xbox in the RPG department.  But again, that's just my personal opinion.

You said "blew the Xbox out of the water in the RPG department both East & West". That's a bold statement to make. Especially since that's still more action-RPGs than PS2.

And you say "you are left with" as if those are bad games or something. Fable, Star Wars KOTOR, and Morrowind are 3 of the greatest RPGs or even games of that generation. Morrowind alone was a game with a depth and size that not a single PS2 action-RPG could come close to. You can put 100 hours into it and still be finding new content.

Like I said, JRPGs are one thing. With the FFs, Tales of, Star Ocean, and on and on, XBox was completely shut out. But PS2 didn't touch XBox in the action-RPGs.

gf78

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 11:16:43 am »

-Arx Fatalis
-Azurik
-Fable
-Jade Empire

You said "blew the Xbox out of the water in the RPG department both East & West". That's a bold statement to make. Especially since that's still more action-RPGs than PS2.

And you say "you are left with" as if those are bad games or something. Fable, Star Wars KOTOR, and Morrowind are 3 of the greatest RPGs or even games of that generation. Morrowind alone was a game with a depth and size that not a single PS2 action-RPG could come close to. You can put 100 hours into it and still be finding new content.

Like I said, JRPGs are one thing. With the FFs, Tales of, Star Ocean, and on and on, XBox was completely shut out. But PS2 didn't touch XBox in the action-RPGs.

I meant no insult with "you are left with."  It was more or less to say that half the games you listed are available on the PS2 as well.  You also neglect PS2 action-RPG's like Champions of Norath, Champions:  Return to Arms, Deus Ex and King's Field 4 which all fit the bill for your type of RPG...and that's just off the top of my head.  I'm sure I could find you several more if I had the time.  So, just off the top of my head, you have a whopping FOUR more action RPG's and you already admit that as far as traditional RPG's go, the Xbox was completely shut-out. 

I'm not going to try and take anything away for the Knights games or Jade Empire.  Those are golden.  Fable some like, some don't and Azurik is a plain POS.  And regardless of taste, I'm sure that with the literally HUNDREDS of RPG's released for the PS2, even the most discerning Xbox fan could find a dozen or more that they thought was great.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 01:18:24 pm »

-Arx Fatalis
-Azurik
-Fable
-Jade Empire

I meant no insult with "you are left with."  It was more or less to say that half the games you listed are available on the PS2 as well.  You also neglect PS2 action-RPG's like Champions of Norath, Champions:  Return to Arms, Deus Ex and King's Field 4 which all fit the bill for your type of RPG...and that's just off the top of my head.  I'm sure I could find you several more if I had the time.  So, just off the top of my head, you have a whopping FOUR more action RPG's and you already admit that as far as traditional RPG's go, the Xbox was completely shut-out. 

I'm not going to try and take anything away for the Knights games or Jade Empire.  Those are golden.  Fable some like, some don't and Azurik is a plain POS.  And regardless of taste, I'm sure that with the literally HUNDREDS of RPG's released for the PS2, even the most discerning Xbox fan could find a dozen or more that they thought was great.

You're completely ignoring the point I've been making since the beginning. I never said Xbox had more "RPGs", since my first post I've been saying PS2 has more JRPGs. I'm saying Xbox has more quality "action-RPGs", specifically those only. The console is known for action-RPGs and FPS. That's why people bought it.

gf78

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 01:33:31 pm »

-Arx Fatalis
-Azurik
-Fable
-Jade Empire

You're completely ignoring the point I've been making since the beginning. I never said Xbox had more "RPGs", since my first post I've been saying PS2 has more JRPGs. I'm saying Xbox has more quality "action-RPGs", specifically those only. The console is known for action-RPGs and FPS. That's why people bought it.

I'm not ignoring your point.  I listed four PS2-exclusive action RPG's off the top of my head without even looking anything up on a list.  If no other single action RPG existed on the PS2 which is highly doubtful, the Xbox action RPG list you made means the Xbox only had four more action RPG's than the PS2.  Again, this is highly doubtful given that literally thousands of games were released at retail for the PS2.  So my point stands.

In addition, six of those eight Xbox action RPG exclusives in your list are available on the PC.  So if you want to talk truly exclusive, Xbox has two truly exclusive titles from your action RPG list which are Azurik and Dungeons & Dragons Heroes, whereas the PS2 had three truly exclusive action RPG titles in the form of Champions of Norath, Champions Return to Arms and King's Field 4.

Azurik for Xbox:  A turd that X-play rated "the 3rd worst game on Xbox" and has pretty bad review scores altogether.
Dungeons & Dragons Heroes for Xbox:  6.6 rating..can't look up Metacritic at work

Champions of Norath for PS2:  85.2% Metacritic average according to Wikipedia
Champions:  Return to Arms for the PS2:  can't look up Metacritic.  again...at work. 
King's Field 4 for the PS2:  6.5/10 from Game Informer

Just as well, the notion that the only place to play good FPS is on Xbox is a misnomer.  Completely untrue.  I stick with my notion that after 14 years & 3 consoles, I hate Xbox.

gf78

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 01:39:18 pm »
Not sure why this topic popped up today but I approve of this message.

Ive been the driver of the fuck Microshaft bus for years. Glad to see another passenger climb aboard.

Buddy, I climbed about permanently back in March 2014 when Microsoft decided they knew what was best for gamers which just happened to be intrusive DRM, no loaning/trading/selling your own games, mandatory online, mandatory Kinect and whatever other bile they spewed.   ;)

kashell

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 02:07:27 pm »
I thought Fable was a mess, at least from what I played of it. The Xbox may have had...shinier(?) action RPGs, but the ones for the PS2 were more fun.

Also, the PS2 had Shinobi and Nightshade. <3

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 02:15:36 pm »

-Arx Fatalis
-Azurik
-Fable
-Jade Empire

I'm not ignoring your point.  I listed four PS2-exclusive action RPG's off the top of my head without even looking anything up on a list.  If no other single action RPG existed on the PS2 which is highly doubtful, the Xbox action RPG list you made means the Xbox only had four more action RPG's than the PS2.  Again, this is highly doubtful given that literally thousands of games were released at retail for the PS2.  So my point stands.

In addition, six of those eight Xbox action RPG exclusives in your list are available on the PC.  So if you want to talk truly exclusive, Xbox has two truly exclusive titles from your action RPG list which are Azurik and Dungeons & Dragons Heroes, whereas the PS2 had three truly exclusive action RPG titles in the form of Champions of Norath, Champions Return to Arms and King's Field 4.

Azurik for Xbox:  A turd that X-play rated "the 3rd worst game on Xbox" and has pretty bad review scores altogether.
Dungeons & Dragons Heroes for Xbox:  6.6 rating..can't look up Metacritic at work

Champions:  Return to Arms for the PS2:  can't look up Metacritic.  again...at work. 

Just as well, the notion that the only place to play good FPS is on Xbox is a misnomer. Completely untrue.  I stick with my notion that after 14 years & 3 consoles, I hate Xbox.

I never said PS2 was the only place to find them, did I? I said people bought XBoxes for action-RPGs and FPS.

But here's a more expanded list for you that I can think of, I just listed the ones I owned in my original list:

-Arx Fatalis
-Azurik
-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2
-The Bard's Tale
-Demon Stone
-Digimon 4
-Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes
-Fable
-Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
-Jade Empire
-Justice League: Heroes
-Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
-Marvel Ultimate Alliance
-Morrowind (and this game alone puts Xbox's action-RPGs in a league ahead of PS2, not a single game in it's library can touch it's size and scope)
-Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2
-Sudeki
-X-Men Legends 1 & 2

...but all those games just sucked, huh? You're not in a blind denial about action-RPGs because you hate Xbox, huh?

Not liking Xbox is one thing, that's your opinion. But give the devil it's due. It's a well-known fact that Xbox was sold on action-RPGs and FPS, it's not just a personal opinion. If those genres aren't your cup of tea, that's fine with me. But I do like action-RPGs and that was most-definitely a selling point on the system for me and my buddies (well, that and being able to play Halo against each other).

gf78

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 02:36:08 pm »

-Arx Fatalis
-Azurik
-Fable
-Jade Empire

Just as well, the notion that the only place to play good FPS is on Xbox is a misnomer. Completely untrue.  I stick with my notion that after 14 years & 3 consoles, I hate Xbox.

I never said PS2 was the only place to find them, did I? I said people bought XBoxes for action-RPGs and FPS.

But here's a more expanded list for you that I can think of, I just listed the ones I owned in my original list:

-Arx Fatalis
-Azurik
-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2
-The Bard's Tale
-Demon Stone
-Digimon 4
-Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes
-Fable
-Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
-Jade Empire
-Justice League: Heroes
-Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
-Marvel Ultimate Alliance
-Morrowind (and this game alone puts Xbox's action-RPGs in a league ahead of PS2, not a single game in it's library can touch it's size and scope)
-Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2
-Sudeki
-X-Men Legends 1 & 2

...but all those games just sucked, huh? You're not in a blind denial about action-RPGs because you hate Xbox, huh?

Not liking Xbox is one thing, that's your opinion. But give the devil it's due. It's a well-known fact that Xbox was sold on action-RPGs and FPS, it's not just a personal opinion. If those genres aren't your cup of tea, that's fine with me. But I do like action-RPGs and that was most-definitely a selling point on the system for me and my buddies (well, that and being able to play Halo against each other).

Dude, first please calm down.  I'm not trying to get you riled up or troll.  We are having a nice discussion.  I didn't say all those games sucked.  Azurik sucked and that's a fact and the Dungeons and Dragons Heroes game was good but nothing special.  If you liked it, great I'm happy for you. 

I gave "the devil it's due" by saying I agree on Morrowind and the Bioware games being golden.  Did I not say that?  I also never said those genres were not to my liking and in fact, until Halo 4 I was a HUGE Halo fanatic.  You added eight games to your list of action RPG's on the Xbox and only one of those is an Xbox exclusive.  So we are still in the same boat for number of action RPG releases per system. 

And on a final note, Microsoft sold 24 million Xbox consoles to consumers while Sony sold 155 million PS2 consoles to consumers.  But that is all irrelevant.  The fact is-as I pointed out in my initial post-that Microsoft has made a habit of screwing gamers over and as soon as they thought they were in a position of power, drove it straight up gamers collective asses.  Or did you believe their unfriendly, consumer-hostile policies they laid out during the Xbox One announcement was a good thing?