Author Topic: Eco-friendly game cases: Love or loathe them?  (Read 5200 times)

krelyan

PRO Supporter

Re: Eco-friendly game cases: Love or loathe them?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 04:43:11 pm »
The lower quality cases were just one of the reasons that pushed me into going mostly digital.  It's nice to have something to hold, but I don't feel like I'm missing much when it feels like it would float if I dropped it.  Likewise, I don't care about manuals as the last time I actually read any of those was back in the 90s.  A lot ( well far more than they used to) of titles have artbooks now that diminishes losing out in the artwork often found in manuals.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

devancowan

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 06:34:01 pm »
Im on the fence about this one. It does make the cases more flimsy and is harder to keep the artwork in better condition, however I keep my games in great condition so this isn't a problem for me. I wouldn't mind seeing how much plastic they're actually saving from doing this. I would assume its substantial for the amount of games there are.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 07:39:59 pm »
Kind of playing devil's advocate in a weird way here but for the most part "game cases" have almost always been crap. Most were just cardboard, not to mention Sega CD and Saturn cases were fragile as all Hell. Even standard CD jewel cases will break fairly easy if dropped. Outside of the genesis and Master System we didn't get anything durable till PS2, NGC, And XBOX. The only problem I have with case today is how they have the recycle emblem cut out that annoys the crap out of me and that's also present in DVDs and blurays. Digipacks to me are by far the worst. you start seeing white lines in the foldsafter one or two uses, shelf wear is extremely easy, if you get ones with the plastic to hold a CD the glue will not always stay and will take the inside artwork with it.

gf78

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 09:08:45 am »
Kind of playing devil's advocate in a weird way here but for the most part "game cases" have almost always been crap. Most were just cardboard, not to mention Sega CD and Saturn cases were fragile as all Hell. Even standard CD jewel cases will break fairly easy if dropped. Outside of the genesis and Master System we didn't get anything durable till PS2, NGC, And XBOX. The only problem I have with case today is how they have the recycle emblem cut out that annoys the crap out of me and that's also present in DVDs and blurays. Digipacks to me are by far the worst. you start seeing white lines in the foldsafter one or two uses, shelf wear is extremely easy, if you get ones with the plastic to hold a CD the glue will not always stay and will take the inside artwork with it.

I thought the old CD-style jewel cases on PS1 and Dreamcast were pretty durable.  I always kept my PS1 games in a standard CD rack and they stayed pristine.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 11:15:40 am »
Also, I wish companies in general were just better with the art design on their packaging.  I might get back into have a physical collection if, IMO, it didn't feel like such an eyesore with all the system/company logos.  I just don't think it looks very attractive when they're all lined up on the shelf but that's probably just me.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)