Author Topic: Why does Sony hate the Vita so much? They've basically left it to die  (Read 6101 times)

Re: Why does Sony hate the Vita so much? They've basically left it to die
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 05:30:44 pm »
If you actually look at the sheer amount of games available for the Vita, I believe there is close to a thousand total. 

Sorry, should have specified that I wasn't including digital titles. xD I try to avoid buying games that do not come in a physical form of some type (minus Steam).

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 05:47:22 pm »
damn kids and their smart phones taking market share!

davifus

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 10:26:21 pm »

PS Vita is great.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

bobster

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 09:18:36 am »
For me, I really want to get a Vita, but here's my problems.

For one, I never see a sale on this damn system, like ever. There's never any bundles that entice anyone to buy one. I know they had the Borderlands bundle, but Borderlands doesn't interest me so I passed on it.

I thought the PS TV would be a definite buy for me at that price, and I've seen lots of sales on it for around $60, which I probably should have jumped on. But while that may be the case, Sony hasn't updated it's compatibility list since October. As someone who doesn't own the system yet, I have no idea if they're updating the system but not the list, or just not bothering at all. The PS TV announcement really made me feel like they'd step up there game, but I haven't seen that so far.

The one thing that the Vita does have going for it is that the games tend to get cheap very quickly. That probably doesn't speak well for the system overall, but I think we all like cheap games.

Basically what it comes down to is I'm cheap and the Vita doesn't help itself get sold lol.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

gf78

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 09:51:19 am »

For one, I never see a sale on this damn system, like ever. There's never any bundles that entice anyone to buy one. I know they had the Borderlands bundle, but Borderlands doesn't interest me so I passed on it.

I thought the PS TV would be a definite buy for me at that price, and I've seen lots of sales on it for around $60, which I probably should have jumped on. But while that may be the case, Sony hasn't updated it's compatibility list since October. As someone who doesn't own the system yet, I have no idea if they're updating the system but not the list, or just not bothering at all. The PS TV announcement really made me feel like they'd step up there game, but I haven't seen that so far.

The one thing that the Vita does have going for it is that the games tend to get cheap very quickly. That probably doesn't speak well for the system overall, but I think we all like cheap games.

Basically what it comes down to is I'm cheap and the Vita doesn't help itself get sold lol.

You could have sold the Borderlands 2 voucher code on eBay if you do the "eBay thing."  I saw them going for over $20 on there easy.  But even then, you would have wanted a bigger memory card because 8 gigs fills up fast.

The PSTV drives me insane.  I mean, here's this cool little box than can play Vita games, stream PS4 content and soon stream games from PlayStation Now.  But it doesn't have Netflix.  It doesn't support about half of the Vita library.  They added support for the DualShock 4 controller, why can't they map some of the touch functionality to the touchpad?  I can't think of many Vita games that require both the front and rear touch capability, and even then they could patch the games to work a bit differently.  Hell, many of the Vita games that aren't supported because the lack of touch on the PSTV have alternate control methods to begin with. 

Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

bobster

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 10:02:46 am »

You could have sold the Borderlands 2 voucher code on eBay if you do the "eBay thing."  I saw them going for over $20 on there easy.  But even then, you would have wanted a bigger memory card because 8 gigs fills up fast.

The PSTV drives me insane.  I mean, here's this cool little box than can play Vita games, stream PS4 content and soon stream games from PlayStation Now.  But it doesn't have Netflix.  It doesn't support about half of the Vita library.  They added support for the DualShock 4 controller, why can't they map some of the touch functionality to the touchpad?  I can't think of many Vita games that require both the front and rear touch capability, and even then they could patch the games to work a bit differently.  Hell, many of the Vita games that aren't supported because the lack of touch on the PSTV have alternate control methods to begin with.
I do the eBay thing, but voucher codes and the like I've always been skeptical of. It just seems like it'd be too easy for the buyer to say the code didn't work and get their money back. Granted, I've never tried it so maybe it's not like that.

Yeah the PSTV has so much potential. It's maddening how they're handling it. If they put more time into compatibility they'd be killing it with that system.

gf78

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 10:34:18 am »

I do the eBay thing, but voucher codes and the like I've always been skeptical of. It just seems like it'd be too easy for the buyer to say the code didn't work and get their money back. Granted, I've never tried it so maybe it's not like that.

Yeah the PSTV has so much potential. It's maddening how they're handling it. If they put more time into compatibility they'd be killing it with that system.

I've sold a ton of codes on eBay and (knock on wood) haven't had any issues.  It was pretty lucrative back when Gears of War 3 came out and Jack-in-the-Crack had codes on their cups.  Most of the cups I got had the code for a weapon skin.  People in Europe were buying them from me as fast as I could list them for $5 a pop.  I don't even like Jack-in-the-Crack, but the soda was ok.  Spent less than $2 for a soda, got back $5.  So it was like getting over $3 to drink a soda.  Not bad!

As for the PSTV, it is maddening.  Sony is laser-focused on the PS4 and everything else just gets tossed out there to fend for itself.  It came out and....it's on the shelves.  No marketing push.  Nothing to entice someone to buy it or even let them know what it really does.   >:(
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

abe

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 11:00:27 am »

It's just the online list that they're neglecting to update. Plenty of games have been released for the Vita that are compatible with the PSTV since that list was last updated. Unfortunately, since Sony has been really lazy with updating the list, the only way I know to check if a game is compatible with the PSTV is by looking at the box art. Some recent examples are Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2 and Tales of Hearts R. When you look on the front, they'll say "PlayStation TV Compatible" at the top underneath the PS Vita logo even though they're not on the online official compatibility list yet.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

bobster

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 11:08:57 am »

It's just the online list that they're neglecting to update. Plenty of games have been released for the Vita that are compatible with the PSTV since that list was last updated. Unfortunately, since Sony has been really lazy with updating the list, the only way I know to check if a game is compatible with the PSTV is by looking at the box art. Some recent examples are Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2 and Tales of Hearts R. When you look on the front, they'll say "PlayStation TV Compatible" at the top underneath the PS Vita logo even though they're not on the online official compatibility list yet.
That's good to hear. At this point, it's probably alright to assume most new games will be supported. I just don't like the older games not being supported. The other day Soul Sacrifice was $8 on Amazon and I didn't jump on it as I don't have either yet. A PSTV is much more likely and it doesn't appear to be supported. Blargh.

abe

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 11:34:19 am »

That's good to hear. At this point, it's probably alright to assume most new games will be supported. I just don't like the older games not being supported. The other day Soul Sacrifice was $8 on Amazon and I didn't jump on it as I don't have either yet. A PSTV is much more likely and it doesn't appear to be supported. Blargh.

A lot of the older Vita titles used some touch screen stuff and other features on the Vita that's difficult to translate into a control scheme on a PS3 controller. I'm assuming (aside from the obvious laziness demonstrated by the outdated official compatibility list) that that's one of the main reasons they haven't really bothered working on compatibility for the older titles.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)