Author Topic: Can you use the Power Base Mini on a Sega 32x?  (Read 2279 times)

silversyx

Can you use the Power Base Mini on a Sega 32x?
« on: February 08, 2015, 02:45:04 pm »
I'm thinking about getting a Power Base Mini because the Power Base Converter and the original Sega Master System are a bit out of my price range. I have a Genesis model 2 with a Sega CD model 2 and Sega 32x attached to it. Do I need to take off the 32x to use the Power Base Mini?

Is anyone selling a Master System or Power Base Converter for around the price of the Power Base Mini?

foxhack

Re: Can you use the Power Base Mini on a Sega 32x?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 03:11:14 pm »
From the manual:

Compatibility
The PowerBase Mini has the same compatibility list as the cartridge slot on the original Power Base Converter. The PowerBase Mini works with Model 1 and Model 2 units, NTSC and PAL Games, JVC X'Eye and some clones.

The Converter will not work in conjunction with a 32X; the 32X prevents the Master System Mode when it is connected. The Nomad and Genesis 3 require modification to operate with Master System games.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 03:29:17 pm »
Also the mini won't play card based games. It's cartridge only.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:04:49 pm by dashv »

silversyx

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 04:23:58 pm »
Thank you, I have an extra Genesis that I only need cables for. Do you guys think it would be worth it to get one? Are there a lot of card games that I would need?

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 11:04:20 pm »
Thank you, I have an extra Genesis that I only need cables for. Do you guys think it would be worth it to get one? Are there a lot of card games that I would need?

That's really up to you.

Personally I only own 3 games for the master system and they are all cartridge based.

Montezuma's Revenge (it's the best version of the game ever released)
Wonder Boy (also known as Adventure Island on the NES. The SMS version is better in every way)
Double Dragon (better graphics than the NES version and 2p simultaneous play)

Those three games alone were worth it to me.

Other "must have" sms games I got on "Sonics Ultimate Genesis Collection" for PS3:
Phantasy Star
Golden Axe Warrior

I don't regret not having a card slot yet.

Soera, may be able to comment on the utility of it better.

He has every SMS game ever released.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:18:16 pm by dashv »

soera

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 12:25:14 am »
There is basically no card game that you can not get in cartridge form.

If you want to know about the SMS NA list of games, I did a review (although typing this makes me realize I never went and did the 3D games) so check it out : http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,5000.0.html

silversyx

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 10:10:21 pm »
If there are no card exclusives then I think I'll get it. Thank you all for the help!  :D