Author Topic: Atari Jaguar  (Read 3902 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Atari Jaguar
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 08:53:27 pm »
I'm finding a ton of As-is consoles on eBay for prices I would pay for the actual console. I heard that if they don't power on its because it doesn't detect a game, not because it doesn't work right?

I don't know. An Atari Jaguar isn't a PlayStation or Nintendo console. It's not just some common thing that people that aren't into game collecting just have lying around. I would think that people that own a Jaguar, know exactly how to work the thing. I don't think that they would list it as "as is" unless they knew there was an issue.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 02:15:57 am »
I'm finding a ton of As-is consoles on eBay for prices I would pay for the actual console. I heard that if they don't power on its because it doesn't detect a game, not because it doesn't work right?

The only thing worse than paying a crAzy jacked eBay price for a console you know works is paying what you think is reasonable for a console that very well might not.

One case is a sure thing. The other is a gamble.

Or as Clint Eastwood would say...

Do you feel lucky?

Well, do ya?

silversyx

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 08:57:01 pm »

The only thing worse than paying a crAzy jacked eBay price for a console you know works is paying what you think is reasonable for a console that very well might not.

One case is a sure thing. The other is a gamble.

Or as Clint Eastwood would say...

Do you feel lucky?

Well, do ya?

Nope! I never feel lucky when gambling XD

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 09:45:41 am »
Go back in time about 5~7 years, and the Jaguar was going for only around $50 on eBay.  Now it goes for a lot more, as suddenly it became a hot collector's item for some reason.  I got mine last year (possibly 2013) with 5 games and I think it was about a hundred bucks.  One of the games was Rayman complete in it's box.

These things, I think, are cyclical.  I think interest in it will wane eventually as the initial wave loses interest in the consoles and want to unload them, and something else will be the hot collectible. Maybe the Saturn or the GameCube.

argyle

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 10:05:45 am »
I got the system, cd attachment & several games back in the day when stores decided to dump them. Paid very little for all of it. I kept it for a few years, found a handful of decent to fun games (Defender 2000 being my personal favorite) but in the end I ended up trading it off and honestly have never missed it. I didn't give the kinds of prices you guys are throwing around for it NEW, nor would I have and no the system isn't worth it from a playing standpoint. I guess if you have to have it for your collection then...maybe?

If I were you I'd get Rayman for the PS1 and put the money you saved towards something you'll truly enjoy. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 12:22:04 pm »
Rayman on PS1 is pretty common. I agree. Just pick it up for PS1 if you have a way to play it. All PlayStation consoles play PS1 games, BTW.

I hear the two games really worth owning for is Alien vs. Predator and Tempest 2000. But IIRC, Tempest 2000 was also released on Saturn.

abe

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 01:25:53 pm »
All PlayStation consoles play PS1 games, BTW.

Not the PS4. You can't even play PS1 Classics on the PS4 yet.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 01:56:00 pm »

Wasn't that PlayStation's selling point for the system over Xbox One at E3? That it was backwards compatible?

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 08:30:23 pm »
Rayman on PS1 is pretty common. I agree. Just pick it up for PS1 if you have a way to play it. All PlayStation consoles play PS1 games, BTW.

I hear the two games really worth owning for is Alien vs. Predator and Tempest 2000. But IIRC, Tempest 2000 was also released on Saturn.

Tempest is great on the Jaguar. Never knew it came out on the Saturn. I know the Playstation version couldn't touch this one though. Superzapper recharge!!! Can't forget the quote "television is the retina for the minds eye".

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 01:04:41 am »

Wasn't that PlayStation's selling point for the system over Xbox One at E3? That it was backwards compatible?

They call it "Playstation Now".

Welcome to the generation where you can lease any game you want and pay for it by the hour.

silversyx

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 03:51:22 pm »
Okay I'm willing to pay about $100 for a Jaguar Console, the power supply, composite av cables and a controller if anyone finds anything... XD

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 09:07:38 am »

Welcome to the generation where you can lease any game you want and pay for it by the hour.

Yeah, Playstation Now is a big-ass blemish on an otherwise excellent platform.  Sony needs to find a way to make that service not so absurd.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 12:18:50 pm »
Well, you can pick up a PS1 for $10, so it's not like playing PS1 games are out of reach if you own a PS4.

gf78

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 12:29:11 pm »

No, the selling point was you could buy/trade/play/sell used games because there was no restrictive DRM built into the console.  That, and they talked all about games where Microsoft was more about sports, television and side features.

Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2015, 02:15:41 am »

Yeah, Playstation Now is a big-ass blemish on an otherwise excellent platform.  Sony needs to find a way to make that service not so absurd.

No joke, you can get hookers and coke for less than it costs to rent a game for 4 hours.

I may be slightly exaggerating as I've never been a patron of hookers or cocaine but I amagine they are cheaper.

Seriously, some games cost more to rent for 4 hours than they do to buy outright from the playstation store.

The pricing makes no sense.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:17:47 am by dashv »