Author Topic: Can I vent about a bad experience in a game store?  (Read 4784 times)

gf78

Re: Can I vent about a bad experience in a game store?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 11:50:33 am »
I had a store try the old "bait & switch" on me like that once.  It's one of those stores that puts the empty boxes on the shelf which I understand, especially since they are all used titles (for the most part).  I found a copy of Super Ghouls & Ghosts for the SNES.  I was like, oh cool.  Took it up to the counter, they rang me up and instead of putting the box in the bag with the cart, they set it on the shelf behind them.  I said "Hey, box too."  The answer I got back was "these are just for display."  I told the clerk they needed to advertise that cartridge games are cart only, unlike PS1, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, etc. which they give you the whole shebang.  I said I wanted my money back and was told store credit only.  I tried to reason with the hipster in the skinny jeans to no avail.  Finally, I said "Look dude.  You either give me my F*cking money back, or I'm going to kick your F*cking teeth in and throw your scrawny ass down the escalator!"  I guess he understood the message as he got my money back from the register for me. 

Now, I don't condone violence, especially over a video game.  But this was a bullsh!t move by a shady company.  And to make matters worse, I believe their online site sells games including everything in the picture.  I had every reason to be pissed and wasn't leaving there with a half-ass, crusty cartridge and no box or manual.  The place is called Slackers CD's & Games and they are located in St. Louis at the South County Mall.  This was a few years ago, not sure if their policies have changed, etc.  But I do know that the experience I had their jaded me to buying from them and the fact that all of their games are priced 50-100% higher than the larger used game store called V-Stock on the other side of the mall doesn't help their cause.

For the OP, that sucks man.  Mom & Pop shops like them depend on customer loyalty and word of mouth to survive.  Get a bad rep, you go under.  Seems like they don't understand that. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

ffxik

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 12:19:00 pm »
I had a store try the old "bait & switch" on me like that once.  It's one of those stores that puts the empty boxes on the shelf which I understand, especially since they are all used titles (for the most part).  I found a copy of Super Ghouls & Ghosts for the SNES.  I was like, oh cool.  Took it up to the counter, they rang me up and instead of putting the box in the bag with the cart, they set it on the shelf behind them.  I said "Hey, box too."  The answer I got back was "these are just for display."  I told the clerk they needed to advertise that cartridge games are cart only, unlike PS1, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, etc. which they give you the whole shebang.  I said I wanted my money back and was told store credit only.  I tried to reason with the hipster in the skinny jeans to no avail.  Finally, I said "Look dude.  You either give me my F*cking money back, or I'm going to kick your F*cking teeth in and throw your scrawny ass down the escalator!"  I guess he understood the message as he got my money back from the register for me. 

Now, I don't condone violence, especially over a video game.  But this was a bullsh!t move by a shady company.  And to make matters worse, I believe their online site sells games including everything in the picture.  I had every reason to be pissed and wasn't leaving there with a half-ass, crusty cartridge and no box or manual.  The place is called Slackers CD's & Games and they are located in St. Louis at the South County Mall.  This was a few years ago, not sure if their policies have changed, etc.  But I do know that the experience I had their jaded me to buying from them and the fact that all of their games are priced 50-100% higher than the larger used game store called V-Stock on the other side of the mall doesn't help their cause.

For the OP, that sucks man.  Mom & Pop shops like them depend on customer loyalty and word of mouth to survive.  Get a bad rep, you go under.  Seems like they don't understand that.

That sounds an awful lot like Game Exchange...

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 01:22:17 pm »
I'm pretty sure that's a misrepresentation of the product. I don't know what the laws are in your state, but in California it's illegal and they are required to give you a refund if the product isn't as advertised.

mrnikon

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 01:44:16 pm »

Well it was a hipster so what you did was OK.

desocietas

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 01:44:55 pm »
That is pretty terrible service. The review you wrote is fair and deserved.

I would never shop there again.

I made the same vow against gamestop when I preordered a game once and when I went to pick it up the employee said it was a good thing I preordered the game because they only received one copy. He then proceeded to go and get the came case off of the new PS3 game wall (which had already been opened and a New sticker was put on the case) and then opened up a drawer to put the game back in the case.

I stopped him and said, "That isn't my "new" game is it?"  He answered it was. I questioned him why my pre-order game was put out on display to be sold if it was the only copy they received. He said that was store policy and that it was indeed still a new game since it had never been played. I called the regional/district manager who told me that was indeed their policy. He then called around and said all stores had opened their one copy of the game so if I wanted the game I would have to buy a a new opened copy.

I have never returned to GameStop. I vow never to return.

That sounds like a total BS policy.  If anything, when you picked up the game, was it after 48 hours from release?

I've shopped at many GSs, but the shops I've preordered from always kept all preorders sealed and in a drawer or in the backroom.  However, once the 48 hour hold period expires, their policy states that they can offer it for sale to anyone, which means they can open them up and put it on the shelf with their other new (but opened) items.

For a while I was preordering stuff only with Amazon, but with the discount from the BF (who works at GS), it's a nice perk to go with them instead now.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

gf78

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 02:05:05 pm »

I made the same vow against gamestop when I preordered a game once and when I went to pick it up the employee said it was a good thing I preordered the game because they only received one copy. He then proceeded to go and get the came case off of the new PS3 game wall (which had already been opened and a New sticker was put on the case) and then opened up a drawer to put the game back in the case.

I stopped him and said, "That isn't my "new" game is it?"  He answered it was. I questioned him why my pre-order game was put out on display to be sold if it was the only copy they received. He said that was store policy and that it was indeed still a new game since it had never been played. I called the regional/district manager who told me that was indeed their policy. He then called around and said all stores had opened their one copy of the game so if I wanted the game I would have to buy a a new opened copy.

That's bull$hit.  Company policy is new release games will be held for 48 hours.  If you pre-ordered a game, it should be kept behind the counter, away from the public for that amount of time in a sealed state.  What you were dealing with was some jack@ss who F'd up.  When the games come in, they always open one copy for the shelf...as long as that copy is not for a customer already.  They probably picked one of each game out of the shipment, unwrapped it and put it on the shelf.

And that's a big problem I have with Gamestop in general.  The customer service blows.  Until the local Gamestop opened, I really despised going there.  But I will say that the manager Dave and his crew at the Farmington, MO Gamestop are completely different.  They are all gamers.  They love talking about and playing games.  During big midnight launches, some of them dress up like characters for that game.  They are friendly and bend over backwards to help their customers out.  When I go in and pick up a used game, they will look for the very best condition, complete copy that they have for me.  Absolutely zero complaints about those guys and that store. 

They of course have to follow the corporate guidelines, but I really can't say enough great stuff about them and how they make people have a good time there. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

devancowan

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 02:09:53 pm »
There aren't to many local game stores around where I'm from but the ones that are, are extremely over prices.
For example, it looks as though they buy a lot of the same titles from ebgames (5 copies of Bravely Default for instance), mark them up 20% percent and just sit on them until eb has none left. As well games that could be easily found on ebgames and substantially lower prices are crazy over priced. I would love to support a local store but with the amount they mark prices up its hard to want to shop there.

Its horrible that they essentially tricked you into buying the cart only and I would be outraged! I would instantly never return there. It seems like they don't realize if you treat a customer with loyalty and respect they will return and eventually spend more money. Now they may have gotten your money this one time but won't see it in the future  :)

desocietas

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 02:37:48 pm »
That's bull$hit.  Company policy is new release games will be held for 48 hours.  If you pre-ordered a game, it should be kept behind the counter, away from the public for that amount of time in a sealed state.  What you were dealing with was some jack@ss who F'd up.  When the games come in, they always open one copy for the shelf...as long as that copy is not for a customer already.  They probably picked one of each game out of the shipment, unwrapped it and put it on the shelf.

And that's a big problem I have with Gamestop in general.  The customer service blows.  Until the local Gamestop opened, I really despised going there.  But I will say that the manager Dave and his crew at the Farmington, MO Gamestop are completely different.  They are all gamers.  They love talking about and playing games.  During big midnight launches, some of them dress up like characters for that game.  They are friendly and bend over backwards to help their customers out.  When I go in and pick up a used game, they will look for the very best condition, complete copy that they have for me.  Absolutely zero complaints about those guys and that store. 

They of course have to follow the corporate guidelines, but I really can't say enough great stuff about them and how they make people have a good time there.

Yep, that's what I know as well.

And it's super true that the workers make the store.  There are some GSs that I pretty much shun because I've never had a good experience with their employees or their merchandise.  Other branches I love to just hang out and chat and browse and do preorders with them because they obviously know their stuff and care about their customers.

As for the OP, that's total BS, and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I'm glad you wrote them a bad review - they and their potential customers need to know that they run a shady service.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 02:45:50 pm »
I came in on the day it was released. My guess is what happened is they accidentally put my pre-order out for sale and then when I came in they pulled it to give to me. I assume the regional manager didn't have anything to correct the situation so he just stood with clerk's response.

I understand that the store wants to have display boxes, but you can't sell that one as new then.

I'm not sure what I wanted GameStop to do, but I don't feel they took care of my issue. Even an apology would have made me leave happy. Just say you made a mistake. I don't even want the clerk fired or disciplined because we all make mistakes (unless the guy is continually messing up), but just own up to what happened.

That sounds like a total BS policy.  If anything, when you picked up the game, was it after 48 hours from release?

I've shopped at many GSs, but the shops I've preordered from always kept all preorders sealed and in a drawer or in the backroom.  However, once the 48 hour hold period expires, their policy states that they can offer it for sale to anyone, which means they can open them up and put it on the shelf with their other new (but opened) items.

For a while I was preordering stuff only with Amazon, but with the discount from the BF (who works at GS), it's a nice perk to go with them instead now.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

gf78

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 02:50:46 pm »
There aren't to many local game stores around where I'm from but the ones that are, are extremely over prices.
For example, it looks as though they buy a lot of the same titles from ebgames (5 copies of Bravely Default for instance), mark them up 20% percent and just sit on them until eb has none left. As well games that could be easily found on ebgames and substantially lower prices are crazy over priced. I would love to support a local store but with the amount they mark prices up its hard to want to shop there.

Its horrible that they essentially tricked you into buying the cart only and I would be outraged! I would instantly never return there. It seems like they don't realize if you treat a customer with loyalty and respect they will return and eventually spend more money. Now they may have gotten your money this one time but won't see it in the future  :)

Ugh...that's exactly what I am talking about with Slackers.  I spent several hours one day comparing prices between them and V-Stock (short for Vintage Stock...great place).
Ape Escape for PS1:  $12.99 at V-Stock, $19.99 at Slackers. 
Crash Team Racing for PS1:  $12.99 at V-Stock, $19.99 at Slackers. 
Cardinal Syn for PS1:  $4.99 at V-Stock, $9.99 at Slackers.
Dead or Alive 1&2 Ultimate Collection for Xbox:  $7.99 at V-Stock, $19.99 at Slackers.
Death Jr. for PSP:  $7.99 at V-Stock, $19.99 at Slackers.

Everything was that way.  And the whole bait & switch with the game boxes.  They even do that with Genesis carts.  At V-Stock, they sell you the game with whatever they bought it with.   

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 12:10:24 am »
I went to a store today planning on buying Dr. Robonik's Mean Bean Machine (which I already had) and Ecco the Dolphin for the Genesis. I decided I only want boxed Genesis games now so my duplicate purchase was because I THOUGHT I was buying a boxed game. This is what I wrote on the store's review page on Facebook.

I was very unsatisfied with their store policies. I bought two Sega Genesis games in the box with the manuals (so I thought) and when I checked out they took the cartridges out and put the boxes and manuals away after I paid them. I asked if they came with the boxes and manuals after and they said no, I said I'd rather not do the transaction then and the cashier said they can only do store credit so I said never mind then I'll just take the games. Just so everyone knows, they don't sell the boxes and they only give store credit back even if you haven't left the store.

Thanks, I just need to vent to other gamers who would maybe understand.  :'(

There use to be this game store in Cerritos, CA that pulled something similar. All the Genesis games would be on the shelf complete with instructions. When you went to buy them, they would pull the cart out of the case and give you a photo copied manual. They told me they needed the case to put on display and the original manual to make copies for customers. I told them I wasn't buying any games without the case and handed them the photo copy and said to use that to make additional copies if needed. I stopped going there when they began to use the same tactics on Playstation games.

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 02:27:10 am »
There use to be this game store in Cerritos, CA that pulled something similar. All the Genesis games would be on the shelf complete with instructions. When you went to buy them, they would pull the cart out of the case and give you a photo copied manual. They told me they needed the case to put on display and the original manual to make copies for customers. I told them I wasn't buying any games without the case and handed them the photo copy and said to use that to make additional copies if needed. I stopped going there when they began to use the same tactics on Playstation games.

They started doing that with disks? The heck were they putting them in then? Loose in a ziplock baggie? That's ridiculous to see a store doing that with cart games to start and then go full scummy with CD's.  That's just a crazy mindset.  Same for needing display cases.  To me, if I was the store owner in a situation like that, I'd make fakes that can take up the space needed.  Wouldn't be hard to do with like some brochure quality paper.  Then again, I am of the mindset of being good to consumers, which many stores don't really care about lol

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 11:17:54 pm »

They started doing that with disks? The heck were they putting them in then? Loose in a ziplock baggie? That's ridiculous to see a store doing that with cart games to start and then go full scummy with CD's.  That's just a crazy mindset.  Same for needing display cases.  To me, if I was the store owner in a situation like that, I'd make fakes that can take up the space needed.  Wouldn't be hard to do with like some brochure quality paper.  Then again, I am of the mindset of being good to consumers, which many stores don't really care about lol

They use to put the disks in paper sleeves and hand out photo copied manuals. Hell, they even raised the price of a SNES RCA cord from $1.95 to $5.95 because "the sticker was wrong". I wish I remembered the name of that place. It was west of the 605 freeway on South St.

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 09:37:15 am »
I think I would have complained about that or spoken to a manager.  Store credit for that is bullshit as they could have instantly returned your money.  Don't shop there again.