Author Topic: Best Gameboy and Gameboy Advance titles?  (Read 2684 times)

Best Gameboy and Gameboy Advance titles?
« on: May 01, 2016, 04:58:05 pm »
I feel sometimes these systems are wrote off as the 'Pokemon systems'. I love pocket monsters just as much as the next guy but there's other games out there. Just curious as to what people's favorites are?

For the Gameboy; honestly I loved my Gameboy Pocket but I'm going to admit I primarily utilised it for Pokemon :P. However I did play some other games. I loved Space Invaders, I felt it was the perfect way to play Space Invaders, in your hands there and then. I also enjoyed the Mario Land series but in particular Mario Land 3: Wario Land; it's probably my favorite handheld platforming title. My favorite Zelda title is The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (yeah I'll take the Ocarina and Links to the Past armies on my own  >:( ). I also played my fair share of Castlevania and Megaman, however I can't recall exactly which titles; really enjoyed them though. Arguably my favorite Gameboy title other than Pokemon was Monkey Puncher; c'mon you get to raise a monkey boxer and become champion of the world, game's have never been better than that.

The Gameboy Advance was a fantastic system for ports of 16-bit JRPGs. Honestly there aren't too many GBA exclusives that I love but that doesn't change my appreciation for the platform. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance; not as good as the original but nonetheless a great tactical J-RPG. Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2: Black Hole; either title and a GBA and it's endless fun with a friend, to this day we still get the GBA out on flights and pass it around, that's a testament to how good those games are. Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age are fantastic little RPGs; they may be short but they have a decent difficulty level, charming characters and an interesting story; only years later I discovered it was developed by the same folks who made Shining Force.  But the ports, the ports.... The Final Fantasy ports are great, to be able to play Final Fantasy on the go, was wonderful. First chance I got to play Breath of Fire and Breath of Fire II; honestly I may even prefer them to III and IV. And the aforementioned Shining Force, ported as Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon.

So what are your choices folks? :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 05:24:32 pm by kmacdw »

sworddude

Re: Best Gameboy and Gameboy Advance titles?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 05:17:05 pm »
Personally my favourites for GBA are

Fire emblem blazing sword and fire emblem sacred stones
Castlevania harmony of dissonasance
Castlevania aria of sorrow
Dragonball Z advanced adventure and Medabots metabee an rpg adventure or Medabots rokusho an rpg adventure.
(I'm not talking about the trash medabots AX games)

one of my favourite systems especially on the gamecube gameboy player never been a big fan of the small screen.

I've left the pokemon road for quite some time already. My pokemon days are pretty much over. The games are fun but I enjoy other titles way more. i did play pokemon allot in the past but I did also play other games. pokemon was at least 40% of my time for gaming. The last pokemon game that I truly enjoyed was Black 2 wich had an awesome story line for a pokemon game. My favourite pokemon game is pokemon soulsilver.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 05:28:01 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 05:55:50 pm »
I recall really loving Fire Emblem and some of the Harvest Moon games on my GBA.

Other must-haves for me:
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story

WarioWare Twisted was also a lot of fun.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

telly

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 07:30:29 pm »
Abe and I were just talking about the Mega Man Battle Network series on the GBA! I love them. :)

They're RPGs with collectible battle chips that you use as attacks. Games are played on a dynamic 3x6 grid and the action feels really fast and exciting! The stories are decent as well, but some of them aren't that great, depending on the version you play. Either way, I can't recommend them enough.

EDIT: I totally forgot about Mother 3 as well! It's one of my favorite games of all time  :D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:45:01 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

shepard11

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 07:48:30 pm »
I love Pokemon but I've trying take a break from it to get ready for sun and moon. My favorite game boy title would have to be super Mario land 2. (Beat it last night again for the heck of it). When it comes to GBA, I'd have to agree and say my favorite GBA series is the Mega Man Battle Network. I'm an old school MEGAMAN player but that was such a fresh take on that series. Wish Capcom would pull their heads out of their butts and make great MEGAMAN games again.

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 07:48:55 pm »
My favorites are:
Mother 3, the DKC Trilogy, Super Mario Advance, Super Mario World (Super Mario Advance 2), the Sonic Advance series, Metroid: Zero Mission, Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade and Mario Kart: Super Circuit are some of my favorites. I would have said FF Tactics Advance but someone already mentioned it.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

abe

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 07:51:20 pm »
I'm not going to make any claims that any of these are the "best" as that's a little too subjective, but I've got some favorites that I'll never tire of. I'll list them below and only include games I've actually played, but I'll take the time to say that at the very top for me personally are the GBA Fire Emblem entries, Mother 3, Mega Man Battle Network 3, and Quarth. The reason I'll list the rest below is because I have trouble only picking a few favorites. :-[

Game Boy
-Kid Dracula
-Kirby's Dreamland 2
-Quarth

Game Boy Color
-The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
-The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
-Shantae

Game Boy Advance
-Fire Emblem
-Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
-Kuru Kuru Kururin
-Mega Man Battle Network 3
-Metroid Fusion
-Mother 3
-Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3

Abe and I were just talking about the Mega Man Battle Network series on the GBA! I love them. :)

Seems like we're always the first ones to bring them up in these types of threads. :D  8)

I recall really loving Fire Emblem and some of the Harvest Moon games on my GBA.

Excellent choice. 8)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 08:09:10 pm »
Good thread idea.. so many underrated and missed titles on these systems. I've started playing a lot of these games on my TV thanks to a recently acquired gameboy player for my gamecube (previously used super gameboy and the gb's themselves)..

Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission are fantastic, truly. Especially for folks who hold Super Metroid as highly as I do.

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga is cool too, btw.
Nintendo Network: sloan011

Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594

stealthrush

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 08:31:46 pm »
Some of my favorites I grew up playing for each portable systems listed below

GB/GBC

- Mario's Picross
- Kirby's Block Ball
- Trip World
- Battle Arena Toshinden
- Metal Walker
- Revelations: The Demon Slayer
- Operation C
- Blaster Master Boy
- Final Fantasy Adventure
- Hyper Lode Runner
- Cat Trap
- Boomer's Adventure in ASMIK World
- Dexterity
- Survival Kids
- Pokémon Red and Blue

GBA

- Drill Dozer
- Gunstar Super Heroes
- Advance Guardian Heroes
- Sonic Battle
- Metal Slug Advance
- Kururin Paradise
- Motocross Maniacs Advance
- Konami Krazy Racers
- Blender Bros.
- Double Dragon Advance
- Ninja Five-O
- Gekido: Kintaro's Revenge
- River City Ransom EX
- DemiKids: Light/Dark Version
- Tang Tang

-

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 08:35:54 pm »
Game & Watch Gallery series.
Wario Land series.
(Konami) Krazy Racers.
All kinds of SNES ports like Doom, Earthworm Jim

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 08:59:10 pm »
As an old school arcade fan, I find the gameboy systems chock full of great arcade ports. Some of my absolute favorites are

Burgertime Deluxe
Mr. Do
Qix
Dig Dug
Game and Watch Gallery
Donkey Kong

I only have two for the GBC but they're both good - Shamus (great Berzerk style game) and Game and Watch Gallery 3

Three faves on the GBA are

Space Invaders
Dr. Mario / Puzzle League
but my favorite is by far Iridion II. Awesome shmup for the gba

kashell

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 08:28:56 am »
On the cinderblock Game Boy, my three favorite games are the three Final Fantasy Legend titles. I hate that they were renamed "Final Fantasy" for their localizations, but I understand their reasoning. It was my first exposure to the SaGa series and their insane challenge and unique setting had me hooked from the moment each one began. SaGa 1 was actually -VERY- controversial at the time of its release. I'm surprised Nintendo didn't censor backwards and forwards.

The Game Boy Advance is a great little portable. This year, I had the opportunity to finish the twoKlonoa titles on it. They were a blast. Other favorites include the ports of Breath of Fire and Breath of Fire II, Sword of Mana, and Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land.

I haven't touched a Pokémon since Gold on the Game Boy Color.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 01:00:16 pm »
Game Boy:
-Bionic Commando (different from NES and Arcade versions)
-Double Dragon II
-DuckTales 2 (because the NES version is FAR too expensive)
-Final Fantasy Adventure
-Gradius: Interstellar Assault
-Nemesis
-Operation C
-Super Mario Land 1 & 2

Game Boy Color:
-Dragon Warriors III (because the NES version is too expensive)
-Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
-Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages & Season

GBA:
-Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
-Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
-Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
-Golden Sun 1 & 2
-Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
-Metroid: Fusion
-Metroid: Zero Mission
-Sonic Advance 1-3

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 01:59:58 am »
"Metroid: Zero Mission" (GBA), please.