Author Topic: Xbox or Gamecube  (Read 10215 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Xbox or Gamecube
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2016, 01:37:49 pm »
The Dreamcast cord has nothing the TurboGrafx-16 cord. You have to like sit right in front of your T.V. with the stock controllers on TG-16.

gf78

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2016, 03:31:05 pm »
Never played one of those so can't comment on the cord length.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2016, 04:34:24 pm »
Odyssey2.  The cord comes from the back like the Atari 2600, except the cords are "hardwired" and the cords are extremely short.  I wanna say Intellivision also had extremely short cords.

I wanna say I don't recall Dreamcast or Gamecube cords being particularly short, but I did buy extension cords for both.  I remember N64 having short cords and winding up tugging the system, but I don't know.

I remember thinking the GCN controller was so weird, but then when you think about it, the N64 controller is much more weird.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:38:33 pm by ctracy87 »

gf78

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2016, 02:34:14 pm »
Odyssey2.  The cord comes from the back like the Atari 2600, except the cords are "hardwired" and the cords are extremely short.  I wanna say Intellivision also had extremely short cords.

I wanna say I don't recall Dreamcast or Gamecube cords being particularly short, but I did buy extension cords for both.  I remember N64 having short cords and winding up tugging the system, but I don't know.

I remember thinking the GCN controller was so weird, but then when you think about it, the N64 controller is much more weird.

Agreed about the Gamecube and N64 controllers.  For me, the N64 controllers were actually painful to use as the left "handle" dug into the back of my hand when trying to use the analog stick.  I never understood the design of that thing and compared to the PlayStation controller, it was bad all around.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2016, 04:29:54 pm »
They share a lot of 3rd party games. So I will judge them strictly off design and 1st party exclusives. Both of which I have to give to GameCube. Game Cube has one of the best controllers I have ever felt to this day and so many powerhouse 1st party titles. Some of my top ten favorites all time. Xbox doesn't have one of my top ten list games although Halo 2 and Stubbs the Zombie come close. On 3rd party cross platform games I prefer PS2 to both. PS2 is my favorite of the Gen then Cube then Xbox. All were great in their own way though.

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2016, 04:04:58 am »
I didn't get to play either until 2004; I'd been strictly PS2. The first of the two I played was the Xbox; my step brother had one but he didn't have much in terms of games.... GTA Trilogy, Conflict: Vietnam, WWF Raw and one other game which I can't recall. Obviously WWF Raw was the only exclusive; I was a wrestling fan but that game was quite disappointing. I could see the graphics improvement over my PS2 but without experiencing any notable exclusives, it didn't really take my interest.

A few months later my friend returned from a trip to visit friends in England and he brought back with him an Xbox with Halo: Combat Evolved, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Rainbow Six 3 and a racing game which I can't recall. He'd played it at a friends and gotten hooked on Halo; soon I was also hooked. We played the campaign on multiple difficulties and we'd spend hours having sniper duels on 'Blood Gulch'. Honestly at first we didn't really play much else on it; I remember trying Morrowind but we weren't used to western RPGs so it seemed odd. He then picked up Fable when it came out; great game, probably one of the first western RPGs I got into. I then remember when he picked up Halo 2; I actually left an exam early to go to his house and play it; then we pulled an all nighter and finished it  ;D

Xmas 2004 I decided I wanted a new console; at first I considered getting an Xbox with Halo, Halo 2 and Fable. However for some reason i started to gravitate towards the Gamecube, which was odd really, I hadn't owned a Nintendo console since the SNES. And although I'd enjoyed a handful of N64 titles, it wasn't a console I'd really connected with. Nonetheless I picked up a Gamecube with Mario Kart Double Dash, Pikmin, Pikmin 2, Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Mega Collection and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Later I added Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Super Mario Sunshine and Sonic Adventure 2. Mario Kart Double Dash dominated the vast majority of my playing time for a long time; and I was scarily good as a result :D.

Technically I never owned an Xbox but I did own a 360 later so could buy Xbox titles for that. So obviously I have been able to collect for both consoles since.

Xbox:
Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo 2
Fable
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
Knights of the Old Republic
Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Jade Empire
Deus Ex: Invisible War

Gamecube:
Mario Kart Double Dash
Super Smash Bros Melee
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Super Mario Sunshine

They'd be the must own titles for each system in my mind; however just because Gamecube has more, i wouldn't say it's necessarily better. So to be honest, my short answer is they're even, both worthy runners up to the dominant PS2 :D

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2016, 02:55:47 am »
i'd take the gamecube! the exclusives (ranging from colorful playformers to dark rated M shooters and horror and everything in between), the flagship characters, we've already talked about all of those... but there were also so many neat accessories for that thing! I carry mine around in this little GameCube flight case looking thing with a screen attatched to the top of it. and of course the wonder gameboy player.. using GBA's as second screens.. very unique. Nintendo always has a weird approach and I feel like GC was brilliant.

oh, and tiny disks? yes!
Nintendo Network: sloan011

Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594