Author Topic: What do you think is the most overrated retro console?  (Read 9784 times)

soera

Re: What do you think is the most overrated retro console?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 01:46:57 pm »
While the NES' library is 95% garbage, that still leaves about 5% that isnt which is around 40 games.

The N64 however has 99% garbage which means there is less than 5 games worth actually playing. It has one of the worst controllers of all time. It has not one legit RPG on the system. Fail + fail + epic fail = worst console ever made.

maximo310

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 03:03:58 pm »
While the NES' library is 95% garbage, that still leaves about 5% that isnt which is around 40 games.

The N64 however has 99% garbage which means there is less than 5 games worth actually playing. It has one of the worst controllers of all time. It has not one legit RPG on the system. Fail + fail + epic fail = worst console ever made.
Yeah, N64 is really lacking in the games department compared to the other Nintendo consoles, especially RPGS. I remember that someone tried to debate with me on Quest 64, saying it was a good game and it needed to be remade; I was laughing my ass off for the rest of the day.

telly

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 03:14:12 pm »

As a average consumer maybe it's overrated. But the games are selling for a high price for a reason. And most playstation games are also selling so cheap for a reason. No one wants them because 3D was trash in that generation for the most part. Saturn did 2D to rule them all, and that's why people will pay top dollar for that reason. In fact the only playstation games in demand are mostly RPGS, and 2D games. I don't think it's fair to say its overrated because the RPGS are out of some peoples price range. If say that person came rich and could afford those RPGS would it suddenly become not overrated?

I don't think it's that simple though. Games are expensive only because supply does not meet demand. This can be because the game is rare, it's actually a good game, or both. So, an expensive game doesn't have anything to say if it's actually good. And because a game is cheap doesn't mean it's bad.

But I think it's very important to remember that whether a game is good or bad is based on opinion alone. Certainly a person is allowed to think that a certain expensive game on the Saturn is not that good. Thus they may not think the price is not worth it, (thus overrated), while you may think otherwise.

That's ok! I don't really see a problem with people not liking a console if they don't think the price (or the hype) is justified for the games. I respect that opinion wholeheartedly, (I'm sure you do too!) :)

Concerning the PlayStation, Tron Bonne and MML2 are two games that I can think of that are expensive but aren't 2D or RPGS. Or Intelligent Qube. Or Tomba! Be careful with absolutes like "only" ;)
I think most PS games are cheap because more people had a PlayStation, more people bought these great games because of the larger install base, and so these games got more printings and releases. That made it easier for everyone to have a copy, and so supply/demand is better, and prices are lower. Doesn't have anything to do with the game's quality per se. (Again, not always the case, see Suikoden II)
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 04:36:49 pm »
I remember that someone tried to debate with me on Quest 64, saying it was a good game and it needed to be remade; I was laughing my ass off for the rest of the day.

Haha, Quest 64 XD I liked that game provisionally. I think I liked it sort of in a "this is bad but I must defeat it" kind of way. Yeah, the N64 pretty much didn't have one darn RPG. I remember when stuff like Crystal Chronicles and Tales of Symphonia came out for the Gamecube, and it was a big deal that a Nintendo console was going to have a "real RPG" again.

But the games are selling for a high price for a reason.

Funny, I was just talking with my friend about the rarity of games and how it may not seem to have any rhyme or reason, but it pretty much boils down to how many were printed a lot of the time, which telly covered pretty well in his post. But yeah, I remember selling a cartridge of Nosferatu for the SNES for $70 on eBay. Cartridge only. Nosferatu. I also sold Final Fantasy III for the going rate at the time and got $57. So... yeah, that makes a lot of sense. P.S. I can also sell a copy of Disgaea for the PS2 complete with case and book in great condition and maybe get $15. ???

maximo310

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 05:17:40 pm »
I remember that someone tried to debate with me on Quest 64, saying it was a good game and it needed to be remade; I was laughing my ass off for the rest of the day.

Haha, Quest 64 XD I liked that game provisionally. I think I liked it sort of in a "this is bad but I must defeat it" kind of way. Yeah, the N64 pretty much didn't have one darn RPG. I remember when stuff like Crystal Chronicles and Tales of Symphonia came out for the Gamecube, and it was a big deal that a Nintendo console was going to have a "real RPG" again.
The reason why it was so funny is that the guy said that Quest 64 was better than any 3DS rpg, which is not factually correct by any stretch. Personally, Quest 64 is more of an experimental game that could have been better if they had polished up the gameplay and story more, but it doesn't have any interest of being remade since sales were pretty poor in most countries. Every other Nintendo console has had a better RPG library compared to the N64.

stealthrush

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 07:43:36 pm »
Nintendo 64 without question.

Besides Nintendo, and a few other major developers majority of software released by third-party were terrible.

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 09:12:12 pm »
The NES for the reason another poster listed. Now don't get me wrong. The NES is a great system, very important to video game history, and still a blast to play. But there is a lot of over priced crap for the console that only goes for a fortune because its very rare or made it onto a Youtube Video. And while not as bad as the Atari there is still a ton of shovelware garbage on the system. I have an NES..and all I own for it is Dragon Warrior 1, Mario bros/Duck hunt, and Tetris. Its just a pain in ass console to collect for.

I can see why the Dreamcast is overrated even if I don't agree but who thinks the DC is over priced collecting wise? Dreamcast is still one of the easiest and cheapest "retro" consoles to get into. A lot of the games worth having a DC for are under 30 bucks and a complete work system can be had for 25-50.

abe

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 09:30:16 pm »
The NES for the reason another poster listed. Now don't get me wrong. The NES is a great system, very important to video game history, and still a blast to play. But there is a lot of over priced crap for the console that only goes for a fortune because its very rare or made it onto a Youtube Video. And while not as bad as the Atari there is still a ton of shovelware garbage on the system. I have an NES..and all I own for it is Dragon Warrior 1, Mario bros/Duck hunt, and Tetris. Its just a pain in ass console to collect for.

Yep, Action 52 is a good example of that.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2015, 10:34:58 pm »
Sad to see the N64 on this list, as its my fav system growing up and still my fav system

VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

telly

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2015, 10:49:27 pm »

Yep, Action 52 is a good example of that.

Yes, NWC maybe even more so... you could get all the games in that cart for under $20 :/
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

aliensstudios

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 12:21:41 am »
I'd say the SEGA Saturn. While it does have some great games, I feel like overall they pale in comparison as to what the Nintendo 64 and Sony PlayStation were putting out at the time. The original controller was utter garbage, and even the second version of the controller, which many say is the best controller of all time, isn't all that great, it doesn't even have a true Sonic game on it.

The Atari 2600. Where do I begin? This system I think sold very well because it was a novelty item with a vast library of games and a low price, however if consumers were more well informed at the time, the 2600 would have absolutely been dominated by Colecovision and the Intellivision, which are both rather underrated consoles in their own right.

A lot of people will say NES, SNES, Genesis, N64 but I can't make a case for any of them. Although they have a lot of shovel ware, the library of all time classic games on these systems simply makes it too difficult for me to categorize any of  them as overrated, and if you do, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you about that.
Classics don't mean much more than novelty, and being put on the pedestal because they were above average at the time; some exceptions. This is evident because as soon as anyone remakes a classic to give these people what they want, they will always complain and say it's not as good as the original a game they haven't played in 15 years probably, because it was never that good to begin with. And don't be fooled if they own the game it doesn't mean they play it, it's very much a different cult.

The first thing that should be taken into account when talking about this subject is nostalgia means nothing. The greatest acid test is time.
There's a huge difference between being novel and being classic. Lots of the best games on those systems were very good or above average in their time and are still very good or above average now. Novel is something that wears off; it's simply something that catches on briefly before becoming completely obsolete such as Guitar Hero or Call of Duty. A classic is something that maintains, is rarely surpassed by anything else that follows, and is therefore renowned years after it debuted.

I wasn't even alive during the release of most of my favorite games on these old systems so nostalgia has nothing to do with my viewpoints here. The 2600 was novel because aside from its era, it has little to no lasting appeal except nostalgia. True, I'll never understand collectors who don't actually play the games they buy.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 11:22:34 am »
TurboGrafx 16

I wanted on for a while.  If I found one, I'd keep it; but I'm not paying what they go for.  People love this thing, but I haven't found enough games that I want to play to justify even wanting one.

I have played most of the games the dirty way (on my modded Wii).  I'm just not into any of them.

And for any of you that say the NES is overrated, Suck it.   ;)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 12:21:57 pm »
^ You really have to be a shoot-em up fan to really appreciate the TG-16 library. I am one, and I did own one. But even then, it's not fun to collect for. Because about the only place to get the games is eBay.

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 12:16:40 am »
Sad to see all the N64 hate. I've noticed the people that really dislike it are mainly people who are the diehard NES and SNES fans, which is understandable since it is such a huge departure from all the good things about the NES and SNES. However, I feel like anyone who says there is only a handful of good games in the entire library is not giving it credit where credit is do. I own nearly 100 games, and would only consider maybe 15 of what I own terrible. In all I would say at least half the library is decent to amazing.

As far considering it overrated, I can understand why some might say that, but I just had to make that observation.

Warmsignal

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 02:43:53 am »
Chalk another one up for the Saturn. Very loved console by many, but I'm yet to understand why exactly. In 1995, the world didn't want a 2D gaming powerhouse, Sega completely missed the mark with the direction the industry was going. Much like the N64, not a lot of software support and you either love or hate the few who furnished the console with something to play. I'm not overly enthusiastic about Working Designs games, and Sega failed to see many of their previous franchises follow up on the Saturn, including Sonic.  :o

For whatever reason, when I think of Saturn I think lackluster ports that are probably better on PS1, and a handful of oddball titles that seem okay, but not especially appealing and mostly very expensive. Buying a game for the Saturn is like pulling teeth, and if have to import to enjoy the system, I say forget it.