Author Topic: PS1/PS3 Final Fantasy compatibility issues?  (Read 4420 times)

deftommo

PS1/PS3 Final Fantasy compatibility issues?
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:48:19 am »
Hi all. I was planning on replaying some of my older Final Fantasy games (PS1 Origins/Anthology as well as VII, VIII, and IX) on the PS3. I have a Slim 160 GB model. Are there any common bugs/glitches/etc that show up when playing these on the PS3 that could potentially halt my progress indefinitely? I have a PS2 that I used to play on, but recently my PS1 memory cards have been getting a little unreliable.

Thanks for any help.

telly

Re: PS1/PS3 Final Fantasy compatibility issues?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:56:03 am »
Ehh disregard this post, I don't know what I'm talking about  :P I made a comment about PS3 backwards compatibility but I didn't know that all PS3s can play some PS1 games, and only some PS3s can play PS2 games
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:17:17 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

deftommo

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 10:06:46 am »
I know it's not PS2 compatible. I've started up a few PS1 games with it, so I know they'll play. The only reason I don't want to use my PS2 to play PS1 games anymore is the memory card issue.

dreama1

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 10:09:03 am »
Hi all. I was planning on replaying some of my older Final Fantasy games (PS1 Origins/Anthology as well as VII, VIII, and IX) on the PS3. I have a Slim 160 GB model. Are there any common bugs/glitches/etc that show up when playing these on the PS3 that could potentially halt my progress indefinitely? I have a PS2 that I used to play on, but recently my PS1 memory cards have been getting a little unreliable.

Thanks for any help.
FF8 doesn't work well I couldn't get it working. Final fantasy origins/anthology has a save glitch that can currupt the save files. So dont save in slot 1 save in the other slots and it will work.

telly

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 10:14:05 am »

Thanks for any help.
FF8 doesn't work well I couldn't get it working. Final fantasy origins/anthology has a save glitch that can currupt the save files. So dont save in slot 1 save in the other slots and it will work.

Yeah I think FFV on the black label version of FFA has some saving glitches in general that were fixed with the greatest hits version.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

deftommo

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 11:34:58 am »

Thanks for any help.

Yeah I think FFV on the black label version of FFA has some saving glitches in general that were fixed with the greatest hits version.

Damn. I have all black label aside from Origins. Maybe I'll use an emulator for some of the more problematic games. Thanks.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 04:38:01 pm »
I like playing PS1 on PS2 much more than PS3 because it just works a lot better overall. I don't think I've ever had a single issue with the PS2 playing my library of PS1 games whereas my PS3 which is the second iteration model is awful. The games look bad on it and a lot of times there are bugs and graphical hiccups. My recommendation would be to buy some brand new third-party PS1 memory cards or you can get a Dex-Drive which is a utility to back up PS1/PS2 saves on a computer for about twenty to thirty bucks.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 02:28:01 am »
The only issues i've had with running PS1 games on a PS3 are graphical glitches and some texture problems. A few games have extended loading times on the pS3 too, but overall it is a decent way to play PS1 games if not other options are available to you.

pizzasafari

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 03:55:09 pm »
FF2 doesn't work on PS3. It works up to a certain part, then there's a cutscene with an airship and it'll fade out and then it won't fade back in. Best to play that one on PS1/PS2.

deftommo

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 08:25:57 am »
Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I'm going to have to invest in some physical memory cards just to avoid as many issues as possible.

thewelshman

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 10:12:34 am »
I know it's not an option for everyone, but I found that I enjoyed playing the old games on PSVita over the PS3. Of course, I caught them during a sale, so not everyone wants to buy each Final Fantasy game for $5-$10. Having both my old PS1, and PS2, I can just pop them in and use the old memory cards, but they aren't that reliable after so many years.

Might just look for a solid emulator and a good usb controller.