Author Topic: Official Super Mario Maker Thread  (Read 19405 times)

Re: Official Super Mario Maker Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2015, 07:56:25 pm »
That Metroid level is awesome. Really hard too, but awesome.
Thanks! Glad you liked it :)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2015, 10:13:05 pm »
Found this one, has a bunch of amiibos

bb90-0000-0043-82a2
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2015, 01:41:07 am »
Played and star'd a bunch of your levels folks! :)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2015, 02:48:57 am »
I'm not much of a "builder", so the only draw for this game for me personally are the levels that are available.

So far, from web articles I'm reading, I'm hearing that there aren't levels out there with that same level of Nintendo quality. And that the most popular levels are sort of "auto" levels where you don't do anything but watch the level take Mario on an auto-course.

So that doesn't sound too appealing. Is there truth to these reports?

I've found it quite easy to build levels, but I'm not enjoying it very much thus far. 

The levels I have played-none from you fine, fellow VGCers-haven't been that great.  There are a lot of autopilot levels that basically you don't move and it shoots you around.  It's entertaining for a bit, but it gets old fast. 

Honestly, to me it's a poor-man's LittleBigPlanet.  But with the general hypocrisy in gaming journalism, a game like LittleBigPlanet 3 with all it offers averages out to 79-80% overall between GameRankings and Metacritic.  Meanwhile, Super Mario Maker with all it's limitations to what you can actually do with it has an overall score of 88-89%.  Yep, hypocrisy at it's finest.

Just spent a few hours playing more levels from the folks that have been posting here as well as folks whose levels I encountered during play through online.

While I agree just playing random levels exclusively gets old fast I rather enjoyed playing the more polished levels from what are now my favorite authors.

Also I don't think hypocrite is the word you are looking for. :) I think you mean favoritism. I own LBP 1 & 2. They are great games. But don't have the nostalgia factor or brand recognition of Mario.

I think it's those things that can push the reviews slightly higher than they might otherwise be.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:50:42 am by dashv »

haloofthesun

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2015, 03:23:27 am »
Yeah, the random levels online are 99% garbage right now. I doubt that will ever change, honestly. It's almost entirely troll levels and LOL HERE'S A BUNCH OF STARS AND TONS OF ENEMIES SO JUST RUN BLINDLY LMAO and automatic levels (which seem polarizing, but after you've seen one you've seen them all imo). Also it seems like several levels have been just random spam people did to unlock more blocks and then said "eh I'll just upload this vomit anyway". At least I haven't seen any uploads of the tutorial level in a few days.

But if you find the right people and you follow them there are really good levels out there. I think mine are pretty decent, too. One of my levels got 10 stars today! Kinda weird how sometimes levels just suddenly get played a whole bunch out of nowhere. I think I've been doing pretty well so far, sitting at just under 60 stars.

I've tried a few of the levels posted here which are excellent and I hope to get to more tomorrow. :)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2015, 10:28:51 am »
All my levels have been crap so far, but at least I can admit it.  ;D

The only time i like auto levels is during 99 mario, because it makes 1 less level to worry about when you trying to unlock stuff lol

1049-2600-8730

gf78

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2015, 10:42:57 am »

Just spent a few hours playing more levels from the folks that have been posting here as well as folks whose levels I encountered during play through online.

While I agree just playing random levels exclusively gets old fast I rather enjoyed playing the more polished levels from what are now my favorite authors.

Also I don't think hypocrite is the word you are looking for. :) I think you mean favoritism. I own LBP 1 & 2. They are great games. But don't have the nostalgia factor or brand recognition of Mario.
I would agree with you on it being favoritism except for the fact that reviewers criticized elements of LBP and provided Mario a free pass for the same things.  I'm not going to turn this into a gripe fest because this thread is for people to find and share Mario Maker levels.  I fully intent to check out some of the creations my fellow VGCers have created.  I will say though that the creation tools given in LBP are beyond reproach and unrivaled in any game from any other developer.

I just really wish that Nintendo had opened up the floodgates to allow true creative freedom.  Again, I'm going to be checking this game out more thoroughly this weekend when I have more time and I'm not absorbed in the Taken King.   :-\

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:44:29 am by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2015, 11:27:32 am »
LBP is for making games.

MM is for making Mario levels. :)

Compared to each other, yes LBP would be the winner. But taken as their own and reviewed for what they are, I would say Mario deserves the passes it gets.

If it was called Nintendo Game Maker then I would agree it should score lower for the reasons you mentioned. But it doesn't claim to be that broad or capable.

:)

gf78

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2015, 11:44:16 am »
LBP is for making games.

MM is for making Mario levels. :)

Compared to each other, yes LBP would be the winner. But taken as their own and reviewed for what they are, I would say Mario deserves the passes it gets.

If it was called Nintendo Game Maker then I would agree it should score lower for the reasons you mentioned. But it doesn't claim to be that broad or capable.

:)

Well, you can just use the tools at hand in LBP to make more platformer levels if that is what you want, but that's neither here nor there.

On the topic of Mario Maker, I hope some enterprising people recreate entire Mario games since Nintendo won't release a classic compilation package and rather force gamers into buying digital downloads of games they have already bought before, sometimes multiple versions.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2015, 12:23:13 pm »
E7DD-0000-004A-DE8F

For you Retro Reload fans ;)

Can you find all the names ;)

1049-2600-8730

tpugmire

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2015, 01:34:02 pm »
E7DD-0000-004A-DE8F

For you Retro Reload fans ;)

Can you find all the names ;)

We have fans?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2015, 04:27:38 am »
I made a new SMB 3 themed level tonight:

141F-0000-0055-48E1

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2015, 11:14:57 am »
Better not let Nintendo find this thread!  :o

Turns out that old man Nintendo is giving cease and desist orders to YouTuber's playthroughs of people's levels on Mario Maker.

...yeah, that's right. They're killing the best advertising they have for this game! What the hell is going on at Nintendo nowadays?! I really hope they pull their heads out, because unlike most gamers, I don't want to see Nintendo die. And now with the death of Satoru Iawata, I'm sure that kind of tragedy can't help.

http://nakedconsumerism.com/nintendo-wants-to-make-money-on-your-super-mario-maker-levels/
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 12:13:15 pm by burningdoom »

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2015, 11:23:20 am »

Turns out that old man Nintendo is giving cease and desist orders to YouTuber's playthrough's of people's levels on Mario Maker.

...yeah, that's right. They're killing the best advertising they have for this game! What the hell is going on at Nintendo nowadays?! I really hope they pull their heads out, because unlike most gamers, I don't want to see Nintendo die. And now with the death of Satoru Iawata, I'm sure that kind of chaos can't help.

http://nakedconsumerism.com/nintendo-wants-to-make-money-on-your-super-mario-maker-levels/

Dash signed up the Retro Reload Channel with the Nintendo creator thing. So Our channel should be fine.

1049-2600-8730

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2015, 02:42:55 pm »

Turns out that old man Nintendo is giving cease and desist orders to YouTuber's playthrough's of people's levels on Mario Maker.

...yeah, that's right. They're killing the best advertising they have for this game! What the hell is going on at Nintendo nowadays?! I really hope they pull their heads out, because unlike most gamers, I don't want to see Nintendo die. And now with the death of Satoru Iawata, I'm sure that kind of chaos can't help.

Dash signed up the Retro Reload Channel with the Nintendo creator thing. So Our channel should be fine.

Yep. As long as we let Nintendo take a cut of the ad revenues for our videos they will use it as protection money to protect us from their lawyers. :)

Seriously though, I actually register every video with them directly and they explicitly approve of us using their content.

We should be okay.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:45:51 pm by dashv »