Author Topic: Crowd Funding Games  (Read 1212 times)

Crowd Funding Games
« on: October 15, 2015, 09:18:53 pm »
How does everyone feel about companies raising money to actually make the game? I don't have any experience with the crowd funding scene but I just saw Indivisible and I'm thinking about supporting. It looks good but seems like a lofty goal to get all of that money. I do like that different amounts of money get different things.

More or less I just want to know if you guys have had good experience with funding games.

abe

Re: Crowd Funding Games
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:31:57 pm »
I've backed the Kickstarter campaigns so far and probably will again. One for the official English translation of Clannad from Sekai Project and one for IGA's upcoming game, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I haven't gotten either game yet, but Clannad should arrive within a month or so. Bloodstained is going to take a while longer but I think it will be worth the wait. I haven't had any bad experiences with either so far and I'm glad smaller companies and developers can reach out to fans to be able to do projects like these that they just wouldn't be able to otherwise. Often times by backing these games, you'll even get a fancy exclusive limited backer edition of the game for your support. If you believe in the developer and really want to see their game become a success, you should support it.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 12:10:51 am »
just be prepared to WAIT
game dev can take a long time, especially without a publisher whipping them for results
i've backed 9 projects since 2012 and have only seen one finished project yet

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 03:29:12 am »
I'm a bit more particular about what I support, but I've done 4 games with Shovel Knight being the first to release, the other one coming up is A Hat In Time which is maybe under a year out from release.  I also have Bloodstained and Yooka-Laylee backed.  That's basically one out, one going to be released, and two others likely to be released.  You do have to be mindful of projects, double check who is doing them, how much do they have done to show off already, things like that, as projects have been known to fail pretty hard.  Even projects by big names can struggle as we've seen with Mighty No. 9.

And yes, when you back something, don't expect to play it anytime soon.  Years of waiting and one must be prepared to lose that money.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:31:26 am by kamikazekeeg »

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 10:14:10 am »
I would do if depending on the game. I saw a FPS Civil War game yesterday that has accurate reloading time I might help. Also. if ace combat ever decides to make a new game/
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

gf78

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 03:48:48 pm »
I haven't backed any games yet, but was very tempted to back Bloodstained because of my love for Castlevania and by extension-it's "father" Iga. 

But...I've read a lot of horror stories about projects getting canceled, long delays, etc. and haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet.  If and when these games that look promising to me do come out, I will be more than ready & willing to buy them to show my support.  I've preordered Mighty No. 9 and will do so for Bloodstained as well.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

soera

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 04:01:54 pm »
I have no problem funding games if its actually something Im interested in. I backed Bloodstained, Shenmue III, and Shiness. I would love to back some of the translations of the DQ games that havent come here yet. I plan to buy items anyhow ... if funding is what it takes to get them here, its cool with me.

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 03:35:35 pm »
When it comes to crowdfunding it boils down to who's behind it and what the project is. I've yet to actually support one yet...but i do plan on Support the Muv-Luv Translation in this next week. When it comes to translating and bringing foreign games i am for it for the most part, except for when it's being done by a huge company like Square Enix who really don't need the money to bring something over... Apart from that i don't really see a point in funding a game before they even started coding it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 03:38:27 pm by matimo »

davifus

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 06:42:56 pm »
I have backed about 11 (6 of them are Visual Novels), but crowd funding is a great platform for companies to have a chance of localizing their games out of their region. 
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

soera

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 01:24:42 am »
When it comes to crowdfunding it boils down to who's behind it and what the project is. I've yet to actually support one yet...but i do plan on Support the Muv-Luv Translation in this next week. When it comes to translating and bringing foreign games i am for it for the most part, except for when it's being done by a huge company like Square Enix who really don't need the money to bring something over... Apart from that i don't really see a point in funding a game before they even started coding it.

I dont mind funding a game brought over by Square Enix or any other large name. Regardless of the size of the company, they dont want to lose money. The money given to the project in return gets games to the people funding with bonuses that would not be available otherwise. I see it as a win/win situation.

indenton

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 10:59:32 pm »
I will say that 'Indivisible' is looking very promising, but that funding goal sure is a steep one.  Guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Anything could happen though, Yooka-Laylee really did pick up the pace towards the end and ended up smashing all of its stretch goals.  Indivisble certianly has picked up some pointers from the right campaigns.