Author Topic: Games you were hyped about leading up to their release.  (Read 2483 times)

Games you were hyped about leading up to their release.
« on: November 06, 2015, 09:07:46 am »
I had a conversation with a buddy of mine today and we were talking about games that we were hyped about leading up to their release.  Like butterflies in your stomach, cant effing wait for it to come out so you can enjoy it.

Obviously, this was brought on by the impending release of Fallout 4, which I am sufficiently hyped about.

There are tons of games out there that you are like, "Yeah, I'm gonna pick that up release day", but I'm talking bigger than that.

For me, those games were Smash Bros. Brawl, Timesplitters Future Perfect, Borderlands, and Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess.

1) Timesplitters Future Perfect, the franchise that came after Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.  I loved Timesplitters 2, the first game was great, but 2 was magnificent.  I couldn't wait for the 3rd installment to come out.  I was in high school at the time, with a Gamestop not more than a few hundred yards away from the school.  So on release day, I sprinted to Gamestop so I could pick up my preorder and get back to the school to catch the bus home.  The multiplayer lived up to my expectations, even better in most cases, but the story mode was so fantastic in that game.  No shooter will ever surpass my love for the Timesplitters franchise, I dont even think Timesplitters Rewind will live it up the same way.

2) Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the lively party fighting game.  I loved playing Smash bros on the n64 with my sibling unit, I loved playing Melee with my siblings, friends, and classmates in high school and college.  My own personal situation with Smash Bros... My best friend, whom I had known since Kindergarten, passed away shortly before the release of smash bros brawl, I believe shortly after the original summer release window which was pushed back to Spring 2008.  He and I would do 2 things over pretty much anything else, Timesplitters and Smash bros.  I had looked forward to playing that with him, so it kind of became a bigger thing for me when it came out.  It came out right as Spring break started, so I spent that week and a half straight playing that game.  My girlfriend, and now wife, didn't appreciate the neglect and at the time had no interest in playing smash bros.

Going back to Timesplitters for a moment, we used to make story missions for each other to beat, which was really fun, but I owned a ps2 and he owned a gamecube.  We each had a ps2 and a gamecube memory card, so we could swap systems and play each others stuff, eventually I bought my own gamecube copy.  Some point down the line, my nephew pulled out my gamecube memory card while it was saving and it corrupted the entire memory card, partially my fault for buying one of those unreliable 3rd party memory cards with the janky compression and storage.  It devastated me.

3)Legend of Zelda Twilight princess, chronologically, this should've been second, but I didnt want to segragate those 2 games.  I wanted to play this game so bad and so impatiently, that I didnt want to wait for the gamecube release, so I bought a Wii, mind you those were pretty damned hard to find for a good while after release, and the game so i could play it as soon as possible.  I actually thoroughly enjoyed the motion controls, and the entire game altogether, even the thing with the fishing rod and Ganondorf, what a hoot.  I had a root canal around the release and spent a lot of time just wanting to do nothing and having trouble sleeping at night, so I played this game almost exclusively at night and played it for probably what was 2 weeks, one of my most fond gaming experiences because, as some of you might know, when you play games at night and in the middle of the night, there are literally no distractions from the outside world.  This story was less about the hype, but I was hyped enough that I spent time finding a wii and dropping the dough to get the system and game, it was a system seller for me.

4)Borderlands.  Borderlands was a special case.  I had been following borderlands from its inception.  It originally had a realistic art style and very very strong Mad Max tones.  The high level of guns, some misconceptions, or complete misunderstanding on my part.  I was thoroughly hyped.  I little disappointed when I heard about the art style change, but still very hyped.  Couldn't freaking wait.  I genuinely believed this could be the game to fill the void left by not having a new Timesplitters game, I think this was around the time we knew one wasnt going to be made, I cant recall.  But when that game loaded up and No Rest For The Wicked played, I was hooked.  Nothing like anything I had ever played before, and the humor melded well with the art style.  For some reason though, my interest in the series went downhill, havent figured it out yet.

There were and are tons of games I've been hyped about, but these had special circumstances, and that's what makes them memorable.

Fallout 4 might be memorable for me because I just bought a house and got a promotion, plus it comes out right as I conveniently have a week vacation.

What games were you guys hyped about leading up to their release?

devancowan

Re: Games you were hyped about leading up to their release.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 09:53:42 am »
Months before the release of Destiny I was hyped! I had drooled over the teaser trailers and thought it was going to be this huge open world game. I really though it was going to have an extensive story line and be one of the games that showed you the possibilities of the current gen consoles. It wasn't until a couple days later I realized there was essentially no story and the online aspect in my opinion was sub par.
I try not to get hyped over games anymore because they're never going to be as good as I expect them to be in my mind. I've also tried not to watch any trailers or other videos on Fallout 4 so I can go into it not knowing what to expect.  :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 11:06:03 am by devancowan »

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 10:11:42 am »
Right now, Fallout 4, eyes on the prize, I want it meow!
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 10:29:46 am »
Metroid Zero Mission was the first Metroid game I beat and it got me really hyped for Metroid Prime 2 which would come out just a few months later. Up until that point I had not played Metroid Prime 1.

gf78

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 10:42:10 am »
Halo 2, 3, Reach, ODST, Anniversary and 4.  I was a huge Halo fanatic, long before I could even go online.  The campaigns were just that great IMO.  Drove 65 miles to the South County Mall for the midnight release of Halo 2 and 3 at Electronics Boutique.  Bought the Collector's Edition of 2, and bought both the Collector's and Legendary editions of 3.  After that, my local Gamestop opened and I preorders and went to the midnight releases for ODST, Reach, Anniversary and 4. 

I was so hyped, I listened to the soundtracks while driving and the main theme ran through my head while I made a futile attempt to go to sleep at night.  And I was thoroughly satisfied with all of them until 4.  The campaign of 4 was lackluster to say the least.  I find the Prometheans a generic enemy with little variation.  The multiplayer just wasn't fun and the game absolutely suffered IMO from being handed off to 343 when Bungie split.  I quickly went back to Reach for my multiplayer fix. 

Even though I hadn't bought an Xbox One, I had high hopes for the Master Chief Collection.  Could all the games in one package along with a remastered Halo 2 be what convinced me to forget all of Microsoft's shenanigans and buy a 'bone?  Again, 343 failed to deliver and instead they released a game that the multiplayer component-a huge part-was completely broken.  To this day, it still has some issues.  The release of Halo 5 just further convinced me that 343 is moving Halo in a direction I don't care for. 

But man...I'll always have fond memories of the Bungie days.   :'(
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

abe

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 10:54:40 am »
Already Released
-Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii) - Spent lots of time on the game's official website in anticipation of its release.
-IA/VT Colorful (PS Vita) - The numerous delays only made me want the game even more. It did not disappoint.
-Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) - Had been super hyped since the original E3 trailer.
-Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (PS4)

Upcoming
-Fallout 4 (PS4) - My body is ready.
-Senran Kagura: Estival Versus (PS4)
-Doom 4 (PS4)
-Persona 5 (PS4)
-Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem/Genei Ibun Roku #FE/Whatever they're calling it now (WiiU) - The reason I bought a WiiU.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 11:05:36 am by abe »
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

rayne315

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 10:55:41 am »
currently I am hyped about 2 games and 2 games only.

Fallout 4: I have been a fallout fan since my first exposue to it at fallout 3 and have since played all the main titles through to the end and that's a big thing for me because I had to create a steam account and buy them (I usually do not play games I do not physically own and detest playing on the computer). I cannot be more excited to figure out more lore and experience and meet more memorable characters and enemies. Plus I get to build a freaking base and get people to start living there.

The Last Guardian: I know this is almost a pipe dream and I even believed it to be vapor ware at one point but its from the producers of 2 of my all time favorite games (incidentally the only 2 they made), Ico and shadow of the colossus. I had this pre-ordered back in 2008-2009 when it was supposed to be for the ps3 and was devastated when all the pre-orders for it got canceled. and have been waiting for it anxiously for any news on it since then and this year and last year news started popping up for it and I cant be more excited for it. well I can if it becomes a playstation VR title I would be ecstatic. That would seriously be the selling point of a day 1 VR is if the last guardian is a launch title. but anyway I have literally been asking about it every time I go to gamestop for the last 4-5 years now.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

doafan

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 10:58:34 am »
With a lot of shame have to admit that Resident Evil 6 was one of this titles, managed to purchase the Archives version but the results were not the expected, the game is practically keeping dust in a shoe box isolated from the rest of my titles because I really don't want it to play it again in the other hand there are good games that made me hyped at their moment like Gears of War 2 and Gears of War 3 I didn't went to work the day that this titles were released and all the fucking days I were talking about them before and even after had my copies, Parasite Eve 2 was another one of these, loved the first one but so decided to give this one a try and didn't disappointed me, the bath scene at this moment is at my top 5 of all times, Silent Hill 4 was another one, practically every time that I was around the store asked the seller if the game already arrived  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

aliensstudios

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 11:10:41 pm »
Super Smash Bros. fro Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U are hands down the most hyped I've ever been for a game.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 02:27:39 am »
i'm really excited for the new doom, doom 4? It looks great, fast-paced and like old school shooter fun. I cant wait.
Fallout 4 to a lesser extent, I'm working my way through fallout 3 right now. I've only ever played through the first fallout and tactics so I'm not as big of a fan as many people on here

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 03:03:51 am »
I basically bought the Wii for Twilight Princess.  I had mostly glossed over the Gamecube outside of a few big games I played, but I was there at my small local Walmart in Alaska, sitting in the cold car with a buddy, determined to get a Wii with Twilight Princess.  A return to the style of Zelda I loved before with Ocarina of Time, and to get into the new gameplay style of motion controls.  Turns out motion controls are mostly garbage, but I still liked Twilight Princess lol

Fallout 4 is destroying me right now.  The past week I've been impatient and anxious.  After beating Halo 4 that I went back to play, I haven't been able to figure out what I wanted to play to keep me busy.  It's driving me nuts, cause nothing really sounds great to me right now, though I'm falling back into playing Fallout 3 right now lol I'm also the hopeful owner of the Pip Boy Edition of the game.  I haven't wanted a collector's set quite this bad since Halo 3, of which I still have that Spartan helmet case.  Halo 3 might possibly be another that got me pretty hyped as I use to be a big Halo fan, though that was sort of another that didn't pan out quite as much and was at a kind busy time in my life.

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 04:58:04 pm »
I was hyped for Battlefront, but then I played the beta....  :(

davifus

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 05:18:07 pm »
Upcoming
FFXV
KH3
Fallout 4
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

stealthrush

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 05:35:41 pm »
Mostly hyped about arcade ports and exclusives for Sega Dreamcast

Sonic Adventure
Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes
Sonic Adventure 2
Power Stone 2

oldschooldave22

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 09:37:42 pm »
I can't think of another game other than Resident Evil 2.  It took me forever to locate a copy because the stores couldn't keep it in stock.  Looking back it was worth the wait and definitely worth the hype.