Author Topic: Genre Confusion  (Read 773 times)

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

Genre Confusion
« on: November 19, 2015, 06:08:57 pm »
To Whom It May Concern (OR How Do You Direct a Message to the One in Charge of This Site?):

I've been doing quite a lot of entering/correcting of database items. I have to admit that I cringe each time I have to select the "Action" genre for an "Action-Adventure" game. Action-Adventure games comprise 19.2% of my collection. I know this because I have my own personally developed database. The only reason I can think of for denying the inclusion of this COMMON genre, is that it might cause confusion. While editing, I realize that there is already some confusion about game genres.

The most common "Action" subgenres are "Fighting", "Shooter", "Platformer", and some other niche categories (e.g., fast-action strategy).
Most "Shooters" are either "First-Person" or "Third-Person". Furthermore, since you allow "First-Person Shooter", why don't you allow the "Third-Person Shooter" subgenre? The latter, I believe are more common than the former.

It would be very helpful to have a section devoted to genre definitions. You may also want to include a subgenre tree. An excellent source of genre/subgenre explanations and descriptions is Wikipedia.

The last time I posted a message , it disappeared. I hope I have better luck this time. Can anyone tell me how to message someone in charge? Also, what is the "Feed"? How can I access an explanation of how this site works (if that exists)? I'm a newbie, and there doesn't seem to be many menu options. What am I missing?

I would greatly appreciate any help, but since I'm usually very busy, I won't be able to respond (if necessary) right away.

Re: Genre Confusion
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 07:32:18 pm »
I can agree to the genre thing. There's a lot of overlap in the genres that can cause confusion.

In terms of messaging there's a few ways you can do that. On the forum you can click on a user's name above. You'll be brought to their forum profile. On the left there's an option to send them private message. Another method is to click on My Messages. From there you can type in the name of a user you want to message.

Anyone with the Administrator tag near their name can help you with most issues. Including approvals and duplicate deletion. It is possible to view the currently logged admins by scrolling to the bottom of the forum home page. Admin users will be highlighted in bright red while regular users are in a darker red. If you need any really serious technical help message jason.

"Latest Items" on the right is just a simple little feature that shows the most recently create items by our users. There is an extended version on our admin panel that goes back maybe 50 items or so, but of course that doesn't really help you in this case I guess.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:36:04 am by badATchaos »

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 05:22:48 pm »
I third this.

Today I was denied Katamari Forever's genre to 'Puzzle' when it says 'other'.
How is Katamari NOT a puzzle game?

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 07:00:35 pm »
I third this.

Today I was denied Katamari Forever's genre to 'Puzzle' when it says 'other'.
How is Katamari NOT a puzzle game?

Well, it's not a traditional "puzzle" game... Point and click adventure games are basically "puzzle games" but aren't really in the genre of "puzzle." I mean Super Monkey Ball is as much of a puzzler as Katamari is, but SMB is considered a platformer.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas